Monome docs rework

it’s new: monome.org/docs

• search
  • sidebar nav
  • restructured

that last point is going to raise some issues with existing links from external sources (such as here) but the other two points should alleviate the panic.

i moved things around largely based on the fact that the original structure was based on the singular existence of grids— i moved relevant things into a grid subtree, and promoted all devices to a root level page. so, now teletype lives at docs/teletype instead of docs/modular/teletype. please alert us to scattered links that need to be corrected.

comments, corrections, and PRs welcome.

@Dan_Derks and i are going to now address a content overhaul of the norns section (!)

57 Likes

update: @simonvanderveldt pointed out that redirects can be added, so this should be less painful. can work on this later this afternoon (though happy if someone can jump in)

EDIT: it works (for teletype at least). will try to crawl through the other relocates. please post if you land on a missed link.

4 Likes

it looks so good!

there is a link to a tutorial I made for Kria meta-sequencing in the docs that I thought we had updated a couple months or so back, but it appears to be back to the old defunct link. It should link here. :blush:

3 Likes

also thanks @Oootini for introducing us to just the docs (and thanks to pmarsceill for creating it!)

1 Like

@simonvanderveldt thanks for the tip! redirects work.

just need to add in the top section (of teletype/index.md for example):

redirect_from: /modular/teletype

note that /docs is left off.

need to go through more of the files later.

1 Like

the new docs look excellent!

2 Likes

very nice!

will these be moving? https://monome.org/norns/doc/index.html

those are the API docs and really need a proper relocation elsewhere… haven’t decided yet. @ppqq

[this is good in 20 characters]

1 Like

right. and with re-directs we may have more flexibility.

@speakerdamage: thoughts on where you’d expect them to be?

I guess now I would expect them to live under the new docs - especially to take advantage of search.

looks like @tehn and @Dan_Derks are going to be updating norns docs now, but figured I’d point out anyway that studies 2-5 need to be redirected: https://monome.org/docs/norns/study-2/

2 Likes

thank you caulen!

for historians + those watching at home, these files had permalinks which referenced /docs/norns/study-X.md, which ended up resolving into docs/docs/norns/study-X.md. removing the preceding /docs from the permalink cleared up the issue!

2 Likes

Yay! Docs look great.

This is such an amazing developpement for resources about monome. It was so tricky sometimes to find the right infos, or get a sense of the entire available documentation to easily dive in out of curiosity, both those things are answered here. I wish I could help more but can only say thanks. But just, to me, this is as fundamental, exciting and crucial to the monome ecosystem than a new release / new hardware.

3 Likes