Monome for beginners

So sorry for the lame question, but I’m a super beginner and probably shouldn’t had even purchased the monome as it seems to be well above my knowledge. When I plug it in, Ableton doesn’t recognize it as a midi device in preferences. I did the “terms” installation that was provided as a download at the monome website. Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought I could plug it in and Ableton would recognize it as a midi device, but it doesn’t. I was hoping I could at least use it like a Launchpad, and midi program the buttons to launch clips.

Macbook Pro 10.10.5
Ableton Live 9.7.5
Monome 64 walnut

I purchased the Monome used, so I wonder if I purchased a dud, or am I just an idiot that doesn’t know how to use it.

Many thanks!!!

1 Like

the grid is not a midi controller. It speaks a serial protocol carrying OSC over USB (which can eventually be converted to midi on the computer); you need to install on your computer a small program (serialosc) which will take care of the communication between the grid and any OSC speaking software of your choice (Max, Max4Live, pd, usine, there are lots of them out there).
From there, you can use existing applications or program your own.

I am not a Live user so i wouldn’t be helpful beyond that, but others here probably will :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Start here: https://monome.org/docs/grid/

1 Like

Are you on Mac or PC? Whichever you are running check out the setup page on monome.org

https://monome.org/docs/setup/

I set up mine the other day and got a bit mixed up with the ftdi driver installation. But the PC under had a nice self extracting file and made it a breeze.

Do you have Max/Max for Live?

Yep! I’ve got the full Max/Max for Live.

Thank you so much for your response. This explains my complete ignorance in the subject. I thought it was going to be a simple “plug & play” but this is obviously more complex that I expected. I appreciate you explaining. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Jason. Many thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Hi Steve. I’m on a Mac. Thanks for the links. I’ll see if I can get this thing up and running.

Keep us posted. It’s not quite plug and play but there is a great and willing community of people here who will want to help.

2 Likes

Hey @lift how is it going? Have you made sense of it all yet?

2 Likes

Hi declutter! Thank you so much for checking back on me! Much appreciated! Yes, I did get my Monome up and running! I’d be the first to admit that I got myself a little over my head when I first picked up the Monome. I thought ignorantly it was a simple plug and play. As a novice I had to learn the hard way it was a little more complicated and required Max and serialosc. With the help of the great support team at Monome and this wonderful community I was able to get up and running. Thank you so much! Now I just need to find the time to dive in.

2 Likes

That’s great. Look forward to hearing what you come up with!

I’m in the same boat. First time using it. Just bought it and I can’t get audio out. Have full version of max. OSC is set. I don’t know what the answer is?

i’d try just seeing if you can generally get audio out from Max.

here’s a test. copy this to your clipboard:

<pre><code>
----------begin_max5_patcher----------
753.3ocsUkrbZDCD8L7ULkNiojzLCvja4CHmxQWtnDCBrbIjnzBAaW1e6Qqv
Lr3fShOvfTqt0q6m5kWGN.rPtmpAEeq39hACdc3fAAQdACR6G.1P12xI5fZf
V4lMTgALJdlgt2DjiGWnHLMsPyYKop74qjBil8B0qCpbLLIlsLXjbwS2MKq5
B6hE7nhcLVP1DjA9thQ3YcE1MLAmZzcUeKwz9HSrdth1ZhwDpo1gYAFUMtdT
ABVF14jU7vwaRZM4qB5E91vg9OitQFgy1QGulvDum8tcD0A297SivYddKM5i
.MasvGZcW4+shKIF+BNS6hmGNm6lBND5JGfFpZNUPNgEcNpiWHBAk2Jsh.y.
uDOh+.drB6YNTci+upYgMkStJOVmjpI6nKmSLFEag0POtRmHzDi54LtkJWkE
mk2Mz13nc+4SxoQ8NU+nTYtNs2S2L4eo6wJXFs44HGVM5RtAS3O6tovK5Hbo
X8k7inlgjq7eexLsqU6gFWXrJQgTTPrKYxau3q9qr3CCm5ySJwMghOzjufhO
5KKIsGJs5DYkfOaJdMJ5sAmtpN+8+nyJn+x4Zm8709bKm9dQUE7O0h3R8.v+
kA5zPbNI9nfuZbh5DmAUbozhSGYDPwKuevqkVUaNDR8qJPG.ZIUaXBhgIEcz
oLpyEo2OCNva.G3+HN3a.m99hT4GNdBu90AL5bfgm8fR1tcGUoSVGvzk29jL
n9rQgsLQbanbGnn6XY8KCRHJWZlwkiYUwNF6mTAhlJc.KrrTP6hVGjgFrmjD
crYiuG1OMDiUO+GTgMlf6hxUDK2zmYVrdEi6lqwitW2IJ4xGP7zTmZvAcuu.
NF2TgPybb43RT4T7jvJ2h55NbWxFT1np5pFH1qZ0D7zp5vpY3x5xNOJIivGQ
BhZh2OrYFrJtxIB0CIhXcrMLdZd1BXqRt0MaKw2NyZNns0HWqHKYzzX8dyVF
kRoTtSOLQCjXyMNpjksImIDZU4eGzaIw7sPGsguM72PHyO1a
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
</code></pre>

in Max, go to File > New From Clipboard

I have audio with any other program on my Mac. I unplugged the Apollo. I can’t get anything. I found what you sent me and audio is on. Nothing is coming from Max audio wise. It might be the comp OS. Thank god this thing is beautiful. Haha

hmm. so when you use the test patcher, you aren’t seeing the levels raise on the gain slider or on the blue Max signal graphic in the bottom right corner? and you’re not getting audio through your built-in iMac speakers?

if not, then Max might need some i/o config. here are the detailed docs from Cycling '74 and oddly, this video from 8 years ago is still pretty relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1IbPiepFE

The blue power button is on. The slider shows no blue. It’s up as far as yours but with no blue.

you need to configure Max a bit, then. that means audio is not flowing through Max. the Audio Status Window part of those docs should be of best help :slight_smile:

you might want to connect with Cycling '74’s support team, as well, if it gets a bit hairier – support@cycling74.com

I think it’s the OS. I just called Apollo and my new interface won’t work because of the new apple update which leads me to believe the same goes for MAX as it’s prob a glitch with the audio out. I am so sad right now. I tried Mark eats sequencer and the grid was working, etc but no audio out. No idea. SHEEEEEEEYOTTTTTTTTT…