Monome Greyscale - Troubleshooting (possibly ribbon orientation?)

I am having some issue with a recently purchased (used) Monome Greyscale edition. Unfortunately, since I’m new to the forum, I can’t upload a video showing the issue, but I’ll do my best to describe it.

The history: I purchased this used from someone, and it was pretty dirty when I did, so I decided to clean it first. I should have tested it prior to opening up (hindsight, 20/20, etc.), but didn’t and disconnected the ribbon cable in order to clean the pads. Now I am trying to use it and having issues. I’m pretty sure I have the ribbon oriented correctly, but when I plug it in to USB on my Mac Mini, some grids light up very quickly and then nothing. When I push the buttons, I get no response from the sum program nor via MIDI in Ableton.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what behavior to expect as this is my first time actually using it. It is possible I tried to power it up with the ribbon oriented backwards- would this fry anything? Any ideas for next steps in troubleshooting?

Thank,
Davis

Here is a video: http://s300.photobucket.com/user/daviskeithdavis/media/IMG_3369_zps0pd0lkyb.mp4.html

Thanks!

it’s working. rotate the plate so the “burst” emanates from the usb port side.

what OS version are you using?

I honestly can’t remember my OS version, but it’s been maybe 2 years since I’ve updated it. I’ll look when I get home and update.

Do you ask b/c my OS might not work with the newest monome_sum software?

Thanks for the help!

OS versions are a huge pain. there is a solution for each version.

if you haven’t updated for a long time (pre 10.9) you need to install the FTDI driver. see the setup docs.