Monome production runs

With all the discussion about Teletype functionality, a smaller -isms, and Ansible subsuming functionality of some of the original trilogy, and with dwindling to non-existent new stocks of modules in the shop and at retailers, can we get an update on which modules will remain in production, and a rough sense of when we can expect to see them offered again?

Will there be a new run of Teletypes?

Given that Ansible now incorporates much of White Whale and Meadowphysics, will we see Earthsea ported to Ansible as well, or if newer users want Earthsea functionality, should we invest in an actual Earthsea module?

And finally, will Arc be a limited offering or can we expect to see stock maintained?

tehn?

1 Like

Not tehn. It as far as I recall parts are being sought for a new run of teletyoes. Arcs are being made in batches and there should be a steady supply.
As for the original trilogy and ansible. I can only speculate, but for a small focused team it makes sense to streamline the lineup going forward. I think the multi app format is a game changer.

3 Likes

I agree, Michael. I would really prefer to have one Teletype, connected to two Ansibles, and to connect that Teletype to one or more third-party modules. Of course, with a Switch in there to handle the power between the two Ansibles. Maximum flexibility, minimal hardware footprint.

2 Likes

As it is, ansible does not reproduce the White Whale functionality at all. Yes, Kria is a sequencer, but, in my opinion, a totally different instrument from WW. Not to mention Orca.

Meadowhphysics appears to be the only Trilogy module that has been “ported” to ansible. At least at the moment.

Having said that: all the modules offer unique, and solid functionality, that even with redundancies in a system (anisble MP, AND standalone MP) can easily be used side-by-side… the question is: how many sequence streams does one want running simultaneously! :smile:

5 Likes

Which is exactly why I’m asking. I don’t want to buy an Earthsea module today-ish if the app will eventually be ported in some shape or form to Ansible tomorrow-ish.

I’ve been asking about this here and there and can’t get a clear answer: to what extent will the trilogy modules eventually be permanently phased out? As someone new to this whole system, I don’t already have the trilogy modules, and if we are on the cusp of this more app-driven system via Ansible that will get close to reproducing the trilogy functions (doesn’t have to be a carbon copy), I don’t want to buy the older modules.

Conversely, if those functions WON’T be ported over, then I want to know so that I CAN buy one of what few Earthseas are floating around.

1 Like

2 or 3 sequencer streams is not out of the question some pieces.

And my point was: if you like the functionality of any of those modules as they are now, why not buy/use them?

I understand that there is a sense that anything that runs on firmware “can” be changed, but on the other hand, there is a value in just recognizing the fact that the module does what it does and requires no further change. In which case it really doesn’t matter if it will be produced in the future or not.

3 Likes

Uh, well, yes it does, if someone decides s/he wants one and can no longer find one.

It seem like there is a migration under way towards Ansible via firmware as a newer platform for these ‘legacy’ apps, but again, nobody who knows what the plan is seems to want to say. If this migration proves true, and there will be no more of a given module for sale in the future, I–as a new member of the Monome system–would like to know that so I can plan.

Yes, in a perfect world, I’d have every module–legacy and new–but I also care about efficiency and space, and if two or three modules can do the work of four or five, I want the former.

1 Like

This is a tiny company with limited resources. The modules are open source so if anyone wants to port code to ansible the resources are there. It makes sense that most things will head to ansible. Now that there is an ecosystem an a idea of demand they can focus on development and tying things together. A lot of this is a process of push and pull. When they did their first module there was no idea of a teletype or bus communication. There are faster chips with more memory now that allow for something like ansible to exist. Since ansible just came out as the dust settles we will have a better idea of what’s coming.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I missed out on purchasing an isms, but I would definitely purchase one if more were manufactured!

2 Likes

Michael, yes, of course, I understand all that.

But I have been asking very simple, mostly yes/no questions–I’m trying to make this easy; not asking for essays on company direction–and not getting terribly useful answers. Surely, at least, if nothing else, whether or not Monome plans to issue more Teletypes can be answered semi-officially with a very simple “yes” or “no.”

If “no,” then I will rearrange my priorities and try to buy one of the few remaining ones in stock at retailers promptly.

If “yes,” then I will wait.

As for open source porting of apps and Ansible and all that, I’ll let that go for now.

1 Like

Regarding earthsea, it seems a very difficult task porting it to ansible where there are zero panel controls for setting up the shape-memory elements. While it’s not unrealistic that a live-performance ‘keyboard’ might end up on ansible, that’s only 1 aspect of earthsea. There’s similar porting issues with white whale, but these are more easily worked around. This is just to say - if you want earthsea, I would get the module as it doesn’t make sense without the physical hardware imho.

Furthermore, while the app-switching of ansible is definitely somewhat of a new direction, I’d make the point that only one app can be running at a time. While many different configurations could be available for ansible, I doubt it will end up at a point where you can switch between 8 apps (for eg).

//

Regarding Teletype, I can pretty much confirm a new run is underway.

5 Likes

Galapagoose, tehn, this is perfect. Thank you very much.