Monome_sum

Just wanted to keep the sum conversation going here in lines…

Can we talk a bit about the [midi_clock] window for a minute?

I’m having some trouble getting this to work the way I want, and just wanted to see if what I’m even attempting is possible. Not sure what the limitations of monome_sum’s MIDI capabilities are.

Am I correct that sum only sends Clock Out?

1 Like

What I would love to do is have sum listen for Clock In, so that the step’s first step starts when I hit Play on whatever external gear is connected. Would/could this be possible? I haven’t been able to find much dialogue around this in the old forum thread or in the app’s documentation.

I dig that it has clock out but man, if I could slave the thing it would be hugely powerful. I’m trying to use it in conjunction with a few other sequencers…

1 Like

Yeah, sum’s potential is so greater than it’s current form. I don’t have the skill to mod it, but extensive midi support would be on my wishlist.

2 Likes

I’d be happy with “fairly-ghetto” MIDI support. Like, Start/Stop from external clock alone would be huge.

sum is really great as it is! BUT it could be huge with some more tweakability and MIDI support!

If y’all can be as specific as possible I’ll try and hack in as much as possible in a reasonably short amount of time. Sum is all about keeping it simple and direct, so provided these ideas don’t stray too far outside of that…

MIDI clock in should be possible, though I have a feeling I would have added it in the first place if it was relatively simple…

1 Like

Oh, that’s great, thank you.

I agree, I like the simplicity and operationally, I wouldn’t Want to change anything about the way it works.

The only thing I’d like to be able to do that I can’t do now, is send it a clock from an external source and be able to start and stop the sequencer from an external source.

That’s it. This way I can use it in conjunction with other sequencers. It’s such a deep program as it is I feel like it could only benefit from tempo changes (thinking classical-ish compositions) and the ability to partner with other devices more techno-based applications.

Ill have another go with it over the WE and will share my 2 cents. Love the dynamism of this community!

Now that I think about it some more, the complexity comes from how the different sub-applications don’t have a strict ‘beginning’ or ‘end’ of a pattern. Just think about how flin can play highly varying poly-rhythmic patterns.

The point is, it’s easy to start / stop the sequence with a MIDI message, but making all the sequences restart in exactly the same way each time would require restructuring how a lot of the functionality is currently working.

If you need a performance to happen the exact same way every time, my suggestion would be to record the audio output!

So let me get this straight, because I want to make sure I really understand. If I record the audio, I can then play it back and it will sound the same as it did the first time? What sort of equipment would I need for this?

Anyway.

I guess I wouldn’t really care where the non-linear sequences start or end, in my mind it’s the grid based sequences that should have priority. What I’m imagining is just how traditional sequencers interact with one another:

• When you hit play on a the master external sequencer or drum machine, etc, it should start Sum. (Linear based pattern sequences will start on the first step in the pattern)

• If you stop the external device it should stop Sum and return to the first step of the (linear based) patterns.

• If you hit play while the sequence is playing it should pause the sequence and pick back up where it left off when Play is pressed again. Otherwise, if a Stop message is sent it should reset back to the first step in the linear patterns.

Flin should just do what it does and stop when it gets a Stop or Pause command. It should probably not differentiate between stop and pause. Does that make sense? There is no real beginning or end to what it is doing.

Corners and Gome should ignore these messages altogether.

These interactions plus external control over tempo would make sum an incredibly useful tool for use in conjunction with other hardware - especially in a live setting.

i did a quick/dirty port of sum to m4l and when u stop the transport, it pauses sum, then u can pretty easily set the playhead position to 1 in step, trigger sequences to play on the 1 in gome, flin, etc. when u start the transport.

i don’t think i even modified any of the time/sync part of the patch, it just ended up this way.

2 Likes

@Gilles_READYdot: That sounds like it would be perfect.

@Galapagoose: Would this be tricky to achieve in the standalone version?

Oooo… Specific?! Now you’ve done it!

MidiOUT: I’d like to see each of the sequencers (i.e. everything but mlr) spit out MIDI on different channels so that I can send midi to Ableton or my synths.

Individual channel rewire support: It’d be very useful to be able to record the separate channels. I’ve often recorded little jams with sum that have never really been used because the mix hasn’t been quite right or an individual sound hasn’t quite worked.

2 Likes

also thanks for looking into this for us!

Hey folks - any adventurous souls want to check out the preliminary updated version here that’d be great. Has MIDI Clock input for clocking from external source and a simple “multi-channel” breakout function using Outs 3-8 for individual tracks (intended for Rewire).

The in-built mlr files will be broken when not built as a standalone, but it should load external samples just fine.

This is for Max 7. Tested on 10.9.

3 Likes

Wow. Thank you very much. Totally floored.

Working just fine so far in Max 7, OS X 10.10.4…

Wowzer - busy with two jobs for the next few days, but will try to take a look at the weekend.

Thank you!

I love the app switch in _sum the most. is there a way to break out that patch?

Been enjoying sync. Thank you.

Would it be possible to send a full stop message to sum?

When I press STOP on my external sequencer sum jumps back to step 1 in step but then just keeps going. I’d like to be able to just outright stop it dead in its tracks and let whatever last playing notes ring.

This is exactly what I would like out of monome_sum. All I want really. Sequencers spit out midi on different channels and individual channel rewire support. Boom.