Moogfest 2017

Just wanted to get a conversation started with anyone going, interested in going, or otherwise wanting to discuss Moogfest :slight_smile:

The artist lineup is not fully released and most of the announcements are around the Future Thought programming.

Current themes so far appear to be somewhat more diverse than previous years:

‚óŹ The Future of Creativity
World-renowned futurists, philosophers and visionary artists tackle the big questions with daily keynote presentations: What will creative work look like, and sound like, in twenty, fifty, and one-hundred years from now? How will art be made and how will it be consumed? What will be the tools for creative expression in the future?

‚óŹ Black Quantum Futurism
Black Quantum Futurism is an intersectional theory and practice combining quantum physics, futurist traditions, and Black and African diasporic cultural traditions of consciousness, time, and space to develop temporal technologies that are more beneficial to marginalized peoples‚Äô survival in a ‚Äúhigh-tech‚ÄĚ world currently dominated by oppressive, fatalistic linear time constructs.

‚óŹ Hacking Systems
The resurgence of a technological Maker Culture is undeniable, and Moogfest is a gathering for all those enthused by new tools for creative expression. Conversations, workshops, and installations will not only explore hardware and physical computing, but also reflect on how the last decade has been transformed by a host of arts-engineering software toolkits like Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks.

‚óŹ Instrument Design
Since the first humans stood upright, people have been compelled to make sounds and compose them into rhythm and song. Humanity progresses, societies evolve, and expressions, representations, and tastes shift wildly, but the drive to make tools that produce music will always permeate all cultures. Once instrument builders first began to harness electronic technologies into new possibilities for instrument design, the door opened to radical innovations in performance, creation, and control. These are boundless tools: from the first synthesizers to the ‚Äėsmart‚Äô instruments of today that interpret and enhance the music played on them. Meet the instrument designers that create the aesthetics and customs of future music.

‚óŹ The Joyful Noise of STEAM
What we teach kids today inspires what they create tomorrow. Moogfest is dedicated to highlighting the joyful intersection of technology and the arts through experimentation, workshops, performance & conversation. We engage an all ages audience in hands-on programming designed to empower the next generation of inventors in the core disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math.

‚óŹ Protest
WE are the agents of change in this world. We are the artists, activists, and innovators who can raise consciousness and organize resistance to redesign our future. The forward movement of science and society doesn‚Äôt have to mean dystopia‚ÄĒit could mean more advanced problem-solving technology and increasingly innovative ways to use that technology for justice. So how can we use our resources to synthesize change? How do the musical and scientific instruments we dream of in our beds and tinker with in our homes light the way to future and better worlds?

‚óŹ Sci-Fi Wishes and Utopian Dreams
‚ÄúScience Fiction‚ÄĚ has long been a way for artists to explore unknown futures. Authors, musicians, philosophers and filmmakers use scientific discovery and technical insight as the springboard to create entertaining and provocative works, while the engineers and researchers of today are inspired by utopian visions and otherworldly inventions. This interplay between imagination and actual innovation, idealist dreams and dystopian visions, are increasingly tangled as space travel, cybernetics, super-computing, robotics, and automation become everyday realities.

‚óŹ Spatial Sound
The spatial location of sound is as important as pitch and rhythm. Experiments with ‚ÄúSpatial Music‚ÄĚ have informed composition since the early nineteen-hundreds. But today, 21st century technologies for audio recording, production, and playback have revived an interest in surround sound and the three-dimensional potential of electronic music.

‚óŹ Transhumanism
Evolution has been a slow natural process that we are externalizing and accelerating through technology and creativity. Humans have long sought to transform nature with agriculture and medicine, employing biotechnologies to manipulate living systems, and even our own bodies. Today, biotechnology has expanded to include cloning and genetic engineering, organ transplants and prosthetics, computer science and biorobotics… even bio-art. An exciting creative territory is revealing itself, along with new ethical, social, and aesthetic challenges.

‚óŹ Techno-Shamanism
In regards to where he pulled his innovative ideas from, Bob Moog said, ‚ÄúEverything has some consciousness, and we tap into that. It‚Äôs about energy at its most basic level.‚ÄĚ But how do we tune into that noosphere and bring next wave ideas to the fore? Who are the seers today, and how are they integrating technology into new ‚Äúshamanic‚ÄĚ practices in art and science? How do we understand rituals of trance in the context of electronic music? How can ancient traditions and cutting-edge brain research inform our pursuit of ecstasy?

UPDATED: Artist announcements out yesterday!

##Future Sound
Flying Lotus‚óŹ
Animal Collective‚óŹ
Suzanne Ciani‚óŹ
Derrick May‚óŹ
808 State‚óŹ
Gotye‚óŹ
Jessy Lanza‚óŹ
Simian Mobile Disco‚óŹ
Moor Mother‚óŹ
Syrinx‚óŹ
Visible Cloaks‚óŹ
Princess Nokia‚óŹ
Function‚óŹ
S U R V I V E‚óŹ
Avalon Emerson‚óŹ
COLLEEN‚óŹ
Container‚óŹ
DJ Chela‚óŹ
DJ Lance Rock‚óŹ
Dave Harrington‚óŹ
Deantoni Parks‚óŹ
Driftless Recordings‚óŹ
Elon Katz‚óŹ
Elysia Crampton‚óŹ
Gaika‚óŹ
Greg Belson‚óŹ
JDH & Dave P‚óŹ
Jon Gibson‚óŹ
Jubilee‚óŹ
K-HAND‚óŹ
KING‚óŹ
Kill Alters‚óŹ
Lafawndah‚óŹ
Laraaji‚óŹ
Laurie Spiegel (Score)‚óŹ
Lena Willikens‚óŹ
London O‚ÄôConnor‚óŹ
Mallarme Chamber Players‚óŹ
Marisa Anderson‚óŹ
Mary Lattimore‚óŹ
McQueen Adams‚óŹ
Michael Winslow‚óŹ
Mumdance‚óŹ
Nanny Cantaloupe‚óŹ
Nick Zinner‚óŹ
Not Waving‚óŹ
Noveller‚óŹ
Octo Octa‚óŹ
Peanut Butter Wolf‚óŹ
Pharmakon‚óŹ
Professor Toon‚óŹ
Pye Corner Audio‚óŹ
RBTS Win‚óŹ
RVNG Intl‚óŹ
Riddim Macka Sound System‚óŹ
Russell Butler‚óŹ
Ry X‚óŹ
Silent Servant‚óŹ
Stones Throw/Leaving Records‚óŹ
Sudan Archives‚óŹ
Suzi Analogue‚óŹ
Tasha the Amazon‚óŹ
The Center for Deep Listening‚óŹ
The Haxan Cloak‚óŹ
VHVL‚óŹ
Wolf Eyes‚óŹ

3 Likes

I’m going! I went last year & had a ton of fun…having a music fest where all the venues are within walking distance of your apartment is pretty great! It’s also where I started my eurorack system. For those that haven’t been, there’s a really cool marketplace with tons of eurorack manufacturer booths set up to try things out.

I’ve been stewing over if I want to do the engineer pass or not. If anyone has experience with that, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

I heavily debated this as well - for me, it came down to my wife. This is definitely more my hobby than hers but she enjoys going to these things with me. The engineering workshop looked way cool last year but I would need an extra VIP pass for my better half and that’s not in the cards, financially, this year. If I were planning on going solo, I would probably splurge for the pass. That being said, there’s a few holes in my system I could fill for the extra $grand.

1 Like

A good friend is getting married that weekend, else I’d be there.

Seems like there may be enough of us around the Triangle for a non-Moogfest lines meetup at some point?

1 Like

i’m a durham resident, would love to get a meet up together if we can.

3 Likes

@bradfromraleigh definitely understand these considerations. Another big thing for me is trying to determine if attending would sort of help me start to overcome the black box that is circuit design.

Also, I’d definitely be down to meet up!

Also have an early evening show coming up March 15th at Bull City Records. If anyone happens to want to come out to that, say hey!

I’m on the fence. Life busy.

i’d love to come out but i’ll be at sxsw. do you play often? what’s your artist name?

1 Like

relatedly: south by still worth attending? I’ve never

absolutely not. that said, as an artist there are finally ways of making money there albeit thru corporate-sponsored shows, which is pretty much all of the shows these days. we’re announcing a record soon so we’re only going to get a bunch of press done in one place.

i would never consider subjecting myself to austin during that week just as a fan. it’s the deepest kind of clusterfuck. eaux claires is the only US festival worth attending, and that one i highly recommend.

2 Likes

The project is called Midcentury Modular.

Trying to do shows ~once a month. Waiting to hear back from a friend who’s trying to set up a show in April at the Carrack. I hope that works out because the vibe of their new space near Golden Belt is really great!

I help out with the Raund Haus series every month, there’s one on saturday at the shed if you want to come by. lots of beat/electronic people, both young and old.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Funnily enough, I was at the record store this past Sunday when someone came in to grab their records for the bargain bin challenge. Haven’t decided if I’m going to Night 2 of KNC’s Double Barrel, but if I’m in Durham, I’ll swing by.

Just got an email from moogfest. Looks like some pretty cool instrument makers are gonna be speaking:

We are also excited to unveil additional Future Thought daytime programming…
Dave Smith: The iconic instrument innovator will lead our Instruments Innovators program and host a headlining conversation with a leading artist revealed in next week’s release. He will also host a masterclass.
EM-u Systems Founder Dave Rossum, Ableton CEO Gerhard Behles, and LZX Founder Lars Larsen will also take part in conversations as part of the Instruments Innovators program.

Here’s a really cool tutorial video explaining the functions of the LZX Visual Cortex module by mangling a Buffy DVD.

Updating OP to add the artist announcements:

##Future Sound
Flying Lotus‚óŹ
Animal Collective‚óŹ
Suzanne Ciani‚óŹ
Derrick May‚óŹ
808 State‚óŹ
Gotye‚óŹ
Jessy Lanza‚óŹ
Simian Mobile Disco‚óŹ
Moor Mother‚óŹ
Syrinx‚óŹ
Visible Cloaks‚óŹ
Princess Nokia‚óŹ
Function‚óŹ
S U R V I V E‚óŹ
Avalon Emerson‚óŹ
COLLEEN‚óŹ
Container‚óŹ
DJ Chela‚óŹ
DJ Lance Rock‚óŹ
Dave Harrington‚óŹ
Deantoni Parks‚óŹ
Driftless Recordings‚óŹ
Elon Katz‚óŹ
Elysia Crampton‚óŹ
Gaika‚óŹ
Greg Belson‚óŹ
JDH & Dave P‚óŹ
Jon Gibson‚óŹ
Jubilee‚óŹ
K-HAND‚óŹ
KING‚óŹ
Kill Alters‚óŹ
Lafawndah‚óŹ
Laraaji‚óŹ
Laurie Spiegel (Score)‚óŹ
Lena Willikens‚óŹ
London O‚ÄôConnor‚óŹ
Mallarme Chamber Players‚óŹ
Marisa Anderson‚óŹ
Mary Lattimore‚óŹ
McQueen Adams‚óŹ
Michael Winslow‚óŹ
Mumdance‚óŹ
Nanny Cantaloupe‚óŹ
Nick Zinner‚óŹ
Not Waving‚óŹ
Noveller‚óŹ
Octo Octa‚óŹ
Peanut Butter Wolf‚óŹ
Pharmakon‚óŹ
Professor Toon‚óŹ
Pye Corner Audio‚óŹ
RBTS Win‚óŹ
RVNG Intl‚óŹ
Riddim Macka Sound System‚óŹ
Russell Butler‚óŹ
Ry X‚óŹ
Silent Servant‚óŹ
Stones Throw/Leaving Records‚óŹ
Sudan Archives‚óŹ
Suzi Analogue‚óŹ
Tasha the Amazon‚óŹ
The Center for Deep Listening‚óŹ
The Haxan Cloak‚óŹ
VHVL‚óŹ
Wolf Eyes‚óŹ

1 Like

The fact that they have killer line ups every year is a blessing and a curse… I want to go so badly, but I know by the time I can afford/have time to get over to the US in a couple of years they’ll still be putting on amazing speakers/acts/workshops.

I went to this the year it was in Asheville, and it was lots of fun (Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, and so nice to meet the Make Noise folk). But this year if I was that side of the pond I would have gone to Sync02, or to DonFest (how cool is that going to be!!!)

Schedule is announced! Any thoughts on what the hot workshops will be?

1 Like

Nice! I looked through quickly and the things immediately stuck out to me are Elysia Crampton’s & Marisa Anderson’s workshops. The CSound/Nebulae workshop. Some of the spatialization workshops.

I need to actually buy a ticket so that I can schedule attendance before these fill up…

1 Like

I’ll be there Friday am through Sunday afternoon! Love to have a Monome-oriented meet-up/geekathon.

1 Like