Msh

msh

extensible grid keyboard

requirements

norns
64 or 128 grid (non-varibright friendly)

download

head to norns.local + click on the books
tab ovr to available & refresh community catalog

documentation

this is just a little sketch that i’m going to be expanding on as I go here. similar deal to earthsea, but there’s 4 grid-selectable scales up top that are defined in the script. I’ve got it hooked up to molly the poly with some d pentatonics right now which I am enjoying!

extending

just like wrms, the script is basically also a library, so all the bits are packaged up and acessible in an external mod (via include 'msh/msh' ). guts are commented up to explain what’s going on. I am using a lib which isn’t documented right now (crops) to take care of grid ui stuff, but hopefully what’s there is explained well enough. I’m around to answer q’s of course.

(hooking up a new engine, adding midi out, crow stuff, new controls, features, or combining with a softcut script are all very very very doable)

mods

wrmsmsh.lua (368 Bytes)
msh > wrms (need both scripts)

mshr.lua (8.6 KB)
example script for using the R engine with msh - synth engine is equivalent to moln

roadmap

• should probably put something on the screen I guess
  • pattern recorders
  • interlocking preset selector things
  • variation using a deep r engine config
20 Likes

@andrew; Is ‘crops’ yours as well? cuz dayum. That’s nice.

I humbly submit that it should be split out into a lib of it’s own (although I suppose technically it doesn’t matter whether it’s in ‘msh/lib’ or e.g. ‘crops/lib’)…

1 Like

thank u !! yea it’s a long endeavor of mine that I ported from javascript. I can split it out and try and document it a bit.

there is a much larger, more ambitious/capable UI lib project which will be replacing crops it but it can do a lot still

2 Likes

just made a lil demo script for msh & crops controlled R engine :upside_down_face:
an unfathomable number of possibilities in this combo

6 Likes

20 characters of “OH MAN WHY AM I SEEING THIS SO LATE IT’S BEDTIME”

1 Like

its_your_bedtime ; )

3 Likes

Yes it’s mine too, but that is not stopping me! Thank you!! :sunny:

wrmsmshr yet? :slight_smile:

msh = include 'wrmsmshr/mshr' -- get msh
wrms = include 'wrms/wrms' -- get wrms

-- init() and cleanup() are used by both scripts, so we have to redefine them to take care of both scripts
function init()
  msh.init()
  msh.g_redraw(g)

params:add_separator() -- add a separator between param lists

wrms.init()
  redraw()
end

function cleanup()
  msh.cleanup()
end

only thing is include expects stuff to be in a folder it seems so place this in a wrmsmshr folder. maybe I should be posting mods as zip folders :thinking:

2 Likes

maybe yes ! :slight_smile:

i can’t get any sound out of mshr :frowning:
how does it know not to use molly the poly as the engine when you include 'msh/msh'?

my bad -> I added params:bang() to the file above. I think if you twiddled with the envelopes sound started coming out. should be ok at load now though - try again ?

as for engines, I’m setting eninge.name = "R" in the mod script so that overrides molly the poly !

anyway though, this demo is slightly ephemeral as I’m making a proper synth script that’ll show off some deeper stuff with crops and some new & improved R modules which might be cooler to work off of. posting this now just for fun and because I made it anyway to test things :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes