Mungo Modules

Is mungo stuff still in production? The state zero seems to be one of the most badass synthesizers ever created.

0 Likes

Latest word from John on MW is that they will continue to be produced. I just contacted him a couple weeks ago to get a MIDI adapter for my D0 and he’s still responsive and doing direct sales. He also pretty recently released a set of analog modules but as far as I know you have to order them direct.

1 Like

could listen to an album of this

2 Likes

How are you doing the self oscillation? I’m guessing you set the feedback to 100 percent, and leave the input unpatched. But how do you set the initial state of the delay line?

0 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by setting the initial state of the delay line, so let me know if this isn’t answering your question.

Using stackables or mults, A out goes into A in, B out into B in. Self oscillation starts on channel A once you turn the gain past around +/- 1/3 of the way, and B is always at 1 gain (so using a compressor or VCA in between the feedback loop leads to more usable results. True for channel A as well, but the patch will still work without doing this). Then the delay time for each channel sets the pitch of each oscillator.

So, if I want to use A as carrier and B as modulator, I just tap B’s signal out into the modulation input for A, and then tap the signal out of A into my mixer or whatever. Or you can even feed B into its own modulation input and then into A, creating that classic feedback modulator algorithm.

EDIT: My bad, I totally forgot that you need to invert B’s feedback signal in order to get it to oscillate properly. So if it’s not giving you self-oscillation that might be why. Leaving it uninverted just produces noise or silence.

3 Likes

I went ahead and recorded a demo of the FM oscillator patch. Sorry for the repetitive sequence. Lots of random noodling with the controls just to show how the oscillators interact at a lot of different settings. Very different things can happen depending on the slew control, and it will lock in at various sweet spots, I did minimal messing with that here because there are also large ranges where you’ll get noise and glitchy gibberish.

Here are the exact patch notes going on here:

Sequence > Disting (B8 VCO) Square > D0 Clock

D0 A out > D0 A in
         > LPF > VCA > Monitor

D0 B out > Inverter > D0 B in
 	                > D0 A mod
 	                > D0 B mod
1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking about self-oscillation in a purely digital/noiseless system which was wrong on my part. In that case, your delay line would have an initial state, i.e., what is in the delay memory when the system starts – and this would affect what waveform the oscillator produces (sine, square, other), since the initial state would just get fed back through the delay line over and over. Sort of like a wavetable oscillator I guess.

With the d0, on the other hand, I suppose the input op-amps/patch cables/etc all generate some level of noise that gets fed back and amplified until self-oscillation starts. I suspect in this case that the oscillator has a comb-filter like spectrum with evenly spaced harmonics (Actually, I just looked at a spectral analysis of your soundcloud demo, and indeed it does).

0 Likes

Ah, that makes sense.

That makes me want to do some experimenting and see if I can get the D0 to repeat a captured waveform and do this without the amplitude running away. It’s not too hard to do this with longer loops of a few seconds but I imagine it would be a lot more temperamental working with these short delay times.

0 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try a Mungo module. I also think that he is an extremely helpful and level headed guy at least in my interactions with him on Muffs. For me that is important. I prefer not to support jerks and their over inflated egos and the eurorack market space sure has a few.

0 Likes

Yeah, even when people are throwing pretty harsh criticism at him and his modules (which seems to happen a lot there) he’s always respectful and plain spoken. He has some very cool ideas for Eurorack as a format, too, and he’s talked on more than one occasion about trying to get other manufacturers on board with a standard for a patch recall system that could be used to make things like modular polyphony much more viable. That would be awesome to see happen!

1 Like

Just given this a go… brilliant - sounds amazing, I hadn’t considered this so thank you.

0 Likes

I own a g0, which I love (first and foremost because of the unparalleld sound quality) and I’m considering a d0, but as you said it would be so helpful being able to store/recall settings. I searched for a Storage Strip for some time, didn’f find any and then I read lots of horror stories about it (like catching fire – don’t know if that’s true).

Are you using the Expert Sleepers Select Bus Breakout? Looks like you need to connect it to a computer (or use a MIDI hardware recorder) to use it. I’d prefer to have a solution within the modular. Are there any alternatives?

0 Likes

I use the storage strip, it’s fine but maxes out at 3 mungo modules which is a problem for me. If you have a teletype @jimi23 is developing i2c > midi which will enable bus saving and recall from within TT (esentially state changes within scripts). I can’t tell you how excited I am by that possibility.

I understand that the expert sleepers module would accomplish the same without a TT, requiring a computer or device to do the program change. Also I think one of the Malekko sequencing modules will also save and recall bus states, not sure which one.

1 Like

What are some of your experiences with clocking the d0? It’s the one thing that I tend to be disappointed by with this module. I find that I have to apply a ton of slew to keep the sound from getting jolted by each clock pulse, to the point where modulating the delay time is no longer viable because it will take upwards of 10 seconds to rest at its new value.

0 Likes

hm, that sounds weird, i have zero problems clocking the d0 without much slew…obviously it depends how steady your clock is, with no slew you hear the smallest changes.

0 Likes

how long are the clock pulses you’re working with? I’ve tried with squares out of Batumi at 50% duty cycle and it lurches quite a bit. Also tried with a Time Wizard which has pretty standard, short trigger length and its less noticeable.

It’s better when clocking it at audio rates, but even then, unless I push the slew down past around 10 o’clock it gives the repeats a warbly distorted sound.

0 Likes

hm, i usually use an e-rm multiclock, don’t know how long the pulses/triggers are there. my normal d0 slew position is around 11-12 o’clock, so a delay change isn’t immediate, takes around 1 second.

0 Likes

i found this ancient mungo video about clock sync and it behaves just like my module:

maybe it’s really the clock source that’s too irregular in your case @smbols? i would email john and send him a recording…

edit: and since the cv inputs carry some gain you should zero them out if unpatched, otherwise they introduce noise!

0 Likes

Tested it out and discovered what’s going on. It just doesn’t like the signals that come out of Batumi, and my Intellijel Noise Tools isn’t quite a steady clock, and the slight jittering creates a noticeable wobble in the d0. Clocking my divider from Batumi, which is steadier, and sending normal clock triggers into the d0 it sounds right.

0 Likes

Recorded a demo of the trigger delay patch.

I have a simple trigger sequence pinging Three Sisters and multed into D0 channel B.

Channel B is multed to Channel A and feedback is activated. Then Channel B triggers enveloped white noise. Channel A goes on to ping a Belgrad filter.

A has a clocked square wave modulating its time. The only thing I do in the demo is play with the amplitude of channel A. Once it hits a certain point, Belgrad starts pinging, and pushing it up higher you start getting enough feedback to develop new patterns.

Sequencing that feedback by sending it through a VCA can be really great. And I didn’t mess with slew settings here (there’s almost no slew), but using a lot of slew and modulating the channel time can sound very human.

2 Likes