Mungo Modules

that’s really cool! also never heard the three sisters like this, did you mult the trigger into the frequency cv of the filter? it sounds like it has a short envelope or trigger for the first few milliseconds, like the tracking on a twin peak filter.

No envelope on the pitch–that’s just how Sisters sounds when you ping it. Very woody and drum-like on its own. The module is in triple bandpass mode and I’m pinging the All input with the three outputs mixed together at different levels (pinging the three independently is also a lot of fun and can act sort of like an arpeggiator). I was modulating the frequency and span, but with stepped voltage sources.

I’m thinking of plunging in the mungo realm, but I can’t decide which one of C0 or D0 would fit best as both as a voice and a physical modelling tool of sort.

Does the C0 require sound input from say an oscillator in order to get sound out of it?

Only way to get any of those modules is directly from John. BTW C0v2 is in the making.

Ye, I was thinking about ordering through his website.
Didn’t the D0 got updated recently?

The C0 is a convolution effect, so it will only alter sounds, not produce them. As far as what you can do with convolution, there’s a lot, so you’d want to read or watch some things about that process in general. But one thing to keep in mind with the C0 is that the samples it can load to apply its effect have to be very short, so it’s not as flexible as what you’d be able to do in a DAW based convolver.

I wouldn’t say the D0 can be a voice on its own either. While it can be made into an oscillator, there’s not much variation in tone available from it, and it’s incredibly annoying to tune without using a MIDI adapter. It’s a great delay though, and even better (in my opinion) as a physical modeling tool.

Thank you for the answer.

I’ve done some IR before, even tried kilchofer method that he used on the trumpet track of shaping the eq and sending the “ping” through it but all was done on software.
Also, I thought you could get it in a feedback loop and produce sound from it.

I’m quite lost on D0 being a physical modelling tool but not a voice.
Isn’t the sound being produced by the feedback of the module and the pitch controlled by the delay time?

Oh, yes that’s how it works, I think I just misread your comment and thought you were asking if either module might be used as a voice on its own, in addition to being used as part of a physical model voice.

I don’t have a c0 so I can’t say what it’s able to do on its own when you self-patch it. I’d be interested to hear it though–I imagine it could be pretty cool.

Does anyone know how long the IR’s the c0v2 will take?

the c0 has two functions, either the convolution effect or without loaded IR it’s a digital bbd delay, sounds really really nice as delay, and it can be so short, you can also use it for feedback patches, karplus strong etc, it’s just not as clean as the d0.
as convolution module it’s limited due to the short IR time, but it can be used as crude sample player, just ping the loaded sample (which is again really short but works for percussion hits).
the absolutely unique feature of the c0 is the real time frequency change of the IR, as far as i know that’s not possible with any convolution software.
if you haven’t tried any mungo module i would strongly suggest to find someone to try it before you buy it, so many people couldn’t handle the unique and idiosyncratic interface with its zoom control…

Lose 2HP with this one weird trick! (Doctors hate it)

The Zoom switch fits quite nicely. To replicate, drill a 1/4" hole 0.735" from the top edge and 0.500" from the left.

Now that I’ve performed plastic surgery on the d0, it seems like it’s paying me back by performing brain surgery on me…

A question: Does anyone know whether the DC cut setting is remembered upon startup?

High five. Mine is not so pretty, but I’m happy nevertheless that at least everything fits. I’ve scanned the panel with regular MFP, traced the result in Illustrator, and then used the PCB milling machine to cut the panel from the piece of plastic-metal-plastic composite material:

Is it possible to get 2 voices out of 1 D0 going, using two different feedback paths with delay A and B, both tracking through the cv input?

yes, it’s a dual delay :slight_smile:
but then you have to patch both feedback paths outside with mixers.
the clock input is for both delays, so if you want independant control over both delays you have to use
the cv inputs.

You would be patching the exciter say, noise +5v --> vca <–envelope. You’re taking the signal from the vca into the A input in each of the feedback paths established on MIA right?

A point of confusion which I experienced: the delays don’t track 1 V/octave unless you have the CV attenuverter set just right. In the user guide John explains that the CV is “scaled in V/octave” but elsewhere he specifies that it’s not necessarily one volt per octave.

ah, you’re talking about karplus strong, feedback sounds. i thought you meant normal simple dual delay. ja, the path would be the same, the exciter signal coming into channel a of mia, the feedback into channel b and the ab output into one of d0 inputs. good thing about mia is that you can invert the signal which is again really good for short delays, eg karplus strong.
here’s an ancient short demo where i patched the d0 like this:

from min. 1:20 you hear it as dual voice in karplus strong mode.

@desolationjones yes exactly, the tracking is v/octave, but since it has a attenuator you have to dial in the exact 1v/oct setting which is quite a pita… i have a storage strip and have saved the d0 in a dual 1v/oct setting for exactly this.

The save bus can recall attenuverter settings?! I thought it just recalled the position of the offsets.

no, all knob settings are saved.

Oh that is significantly better than I had hoped for. I thought they were fully analog controls.

Does this mean that you can zoom those knobs? And the gain/feedback knob?? That would explain why my A channel is so much quieter than my B.