Music / Creative Coding degrees

Don’t think this has been posted before but i was curious if we could get a dialogue open about people who went to University for creative computing / music technology degrees and their opinions on it!

I did a lot of research into the Sonology program offered in The Hague, NL and also Goldsmiths Music and Technology degree in London. Any more of these notable programs?

:open_book:

1 Like

I bet something like that would fit at RPI in Troy NY

2 Likes

Also interested in this topic! It seems that CCRMA at Stanford offers several different degrees too.

in the US, off the top of my head

CNMAT at UC Berkeley
UC San Diego
CalArts
Brown
maybe Wesleyan

@laborcamp and I teach in the Multimedia Environments program at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. It’s an interdisciplinary media arts program. We cover sound and creative coding within wider interdisciplinary media arts practices! Our program is also very strong in installation and performance based media art (often times leveraging creative coding and sound as components)

For direct Creative Coding, you might also look at UCLA’s DMA program, it’s where Processing lives

1 Like

I got a BFA in computer art at the State University of New York at Buffalo. It was affordable for New York state residents and you got out of it what you put in. I wouldn’t recommend it for anybody out of state or who already has a degree, but it worked out well for me. It has given me a foundation of knowledge that has helped me continue to explore creative computing in my free time and connect with other like-minded colleagues.

I can’t comment on any other degree programs, but for non-degree learning I know people who have gone to School for Poetic Computation in NYC and have heard good things about it from them. It’s more for people who already have programming experience. You can still attend without programming knowledge but would need to catch up before attending and might not get as much out of it.

1 Like