Music for Sleep

I’m wondering if people like to fall asleep listening to music, and if so, what you recommend.

Many nights, I wake up for about an hour in the middle night. As part of falling back asleep I usually pop in my earbuds and put something on. Since they’re AirPods, when I fall asleep one or the other falls out of my ear and the music turns off. Magic!

My current two favourites are:

an old favourite:

12 Likes

Somnium, or anything else by Robert Rich:

6 Likes

maybe tomorrowland.

4 Likes

When I am away from home for work I usually patch something in VCV and let it play to synth myself to sleep until the laptop’s battery goes out, or if I am being responsible I schedule a shutdown with the terminal, but it always makes me nervous because then I start to wonder if I am getting close to the timing, and it sometimes keeps me awake lol.
I love the challenge of patching something soothing in say half an hour top.

13 Likes

Yep I do the same. I like to make patches on model 15 on my phone or iPad to fall asleep to. I just leave them running all night until I wake up lol. Sometimes I’ll wake up in the middle of the night and turn them off, other times I’ll wake up to them still going in the morning haha. I’ve been meaning to share a collection of my favorites but have never recorded them even though I mostly store the patches. Maybe one day!

9 Likes

There is Sleep by Max Richter. I mostly use it for calm work focus, though.

3 Likes

Or there simply is Music for Sleep

3 Likes

I got way into making sleep playlists, and gravitate toward artists who compose minimal, beatless, word-free drones. A few:

2 Likes

self plug, felt cute, might delete later

8 Likes

I rarely have trouble sleeping, but one night I needed to block out the neighbor’s TV news droning on. I put on andrew’s “wiggles” Spotify playlist and it worked wonders.

2 Likes

I maybe atypical here, but when in my first job - a labour intensive 9 hour day with 10 miles of cycling there and back - i was heavily into Napalm Death’s “Inside the torn apart”. I used to put it on after my post work shower and fall asleep. Even 20 odd years later it still has that power over my (un)consciousness. I find it interesting that you can condition yourself with music.

9 Likes

A tried and tested favourite to coax some Zzzs.

2 Likes

We’ve been using this to send our kids to sleep for 8 years now… never fails.

6 Likes

I am listening to this piece by Thomas Köner every night. It blends nicely with the city around me: Thomas Köner - Daikan - YouTube

Occasionally I am tired of that one, or need something more exciting. I switch to this then:

5 Likes

I’ve fallen asleep to this album on ahem a few occasions

4 Likes

Used to sleep to this quite a lot, tho it was the youtube video which I can’t find now

2 Likes

The playlist I have used for all four kids for the last 13 years is just Lullatone’s Little Songs About Raindrops and Geotic’s Mend on shuffle. It’s loaded onto 2 iPod nanos plugged into 2 different speaker docs, and on an old iPad that connects to a bluetooth speaker.

2 Likes

all things considered, Tim Hecker is maybe an odd choice, but I usually fall asleep to one of his albums.

11 Likes

Colleen’s The Golden Morning Breaks always used to send me to sleep.

Biosphere’s Substrata was another recent favourite.

5 Likes

around 10 years ago i got my entire friend group into falling asleep to alien observer by grouper. id always pass out by the time “vapor trails” started.

music for cats by david tele is really calming too (if you sleep with your cat it makes it even better :slight_smile: )

4 Likes