Music to die to

Given the fact that we’re all going to die eventually (absent some hypothetical developments), what music would be a good soundtrack to the transition?

Here’s a track I would want to be playing…

27 Likes
22 Likes

Love this, definitely for my cremation :slight_smile:

Perhaps:

Thoughts?

8 Likes
22 Likes

Not Christian, but still stunned by this song every time I hear it.

Or:

15 Likes

I’ve long thought of noise as the music with the highest potential for expressing the maximalism of spiritual ecstacy and spiritual terror (as they are both a hair’s breadth from one another), and the title ‘Going Places’ seems oddly appropriate. Plus this blasting at maximum volume would scare everyone else out of the room and I could be alone with my self for the journey into whatever comes

12 Likes

This is what is going to be played when I am cremated… (may not be answering directly about death but it’s still a liminal event).

For actually dying - this may be a candidate (we played Julee Cruise at my dad’s cremation as well !):

9 Likes

Julee is definitely on the short list!

Sad to see that she passed recently.

We saw a concert she did with the Twin Peaks band and material a million years ago and it was spectacular…. Totally music to dream to😌

7 Likes

Would be “I am you” by Ben Lucas Boysen aka Hecq, if I had a choice.

3 Likes
11 Likes

Yeah - I’ve loved her music since the first Twin Peaks - when I heard of her death I had to put some on again… my dad used to love it as well so it always has some poignant thoughts anyway… it must have been great to see her live !

2 Likes

many Cloud Cult songs focus on processing death and glimpsing to the other side (their son died unexpectedly in his sleep at a very young age). Both the arrival - There’s so much energy in us and come home never cease to bring euphoria to me.

2 Likes

Rest in peace Julee. Relevant to this topic, her partner recently shared that he played “Roam” by B-52s for her during her transition.

For those of you who go back I thought you might want to know that I said goodby to my wife, Julee Cruise, today. She left this realm on her own terms. No regrets. She is at peace. Having had such a varied music career she often said that the time she spent as a B filling in for Cindy while she was having a family was the happiest time of her performing life. She will be forever grateful to them. When she first stepped up to the mic with Fred and Kate she said it was like joining the Beatles. She will love them always and never forget their travels together around the world. I played her Roam during her transition. Now she will roam forever. Rest In Peace, my love, and love to you all. (Edward Grinnan, facebook post)

16 Likes

Roam is another song that has an almost metaphysical effect on me. I’m likely to hit repeat a few times if it’s on…

The soothing groove, the hopeful and quietly joyous lyrics and singing…. Just exquisite!

It’s interesting (to me anyway) that something of such sublime beauty came from a rather party-oriented band…. Not that partying isn’t great, it was wonderful at the time, but the album that Roam came from felt like an atom jumping to a much higher orbit…

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, I can’t wait to give these all a listen :+1:

1 Like
8 Likes

Let the embers smother quiet and slow

Alternately: point to the gate of the next world while my consciousness unfurls upward in wisps like incense smoke

9 Likes

I’m just sacrilegious enough to prefer the Mike Watt/ J Mascis version but I love this version too. I think J’s fuzzed out tone would be good for sending me into the great nothing. Referencing maggots as I become worm food seems apt as well.

2 Likes
9 Likes

A very vanilla choice, but my gosh it’s just a sublime bit of music, isn’t it?

The Ann Annie modular interpretation is rather wonderful, too

I also laughed out loud at one of the comments on this video
“This is what i want to play when i get stabbed in (sic) the canal behind my house and i’m slowly drifting away.”
Must live in the UK

13 Likes
3 Likes