//// musica ignotum : lcrp.solstice.2.2018 ////

How the Stylus feet of the Water Boatmen remix the pond…

"Music for perhaps a terrestrial life form but one which we don’t normally associate with music, e.g., trees or jellyfish?"

The water boatmen sit motionless for minutes or they slowly skid along. The ends of their feet digging into the water’s tough skin- a membrane overloaded by the concerts above and below. These insects performing their own remix as they go.

Each foot a tiny stylus, picking the full on rave of noise within the water and the air noises around. Wavering ripples, air trapped squeals, high squiggles of fidgeting larvae, the thrashing of tadpole tails dominate the water.[mainly divined by 0coast and soft pop synths]

It is kind of primal score in there, written in the algae maybe, its the swamp thing, the rules from which everything must grow. At times the thrashing of tadpole tails dominates, as they contest the right to grow back legs and mature among the oxygenating weed and cross back and forth through the worlds of water and air.

Various versions co exist across each other, gender amphibious thrash beat ,the clogging slime ruthless in what it permits, the dry shuffle of chintinous water boatmen limbs channel it all, adding their own sound, a skritchy-scratchy movement of their styli feet.

fantastic!
thank you so much, really cool tracks

supercollided-ed sounds from https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/sounds-polish-radio-experimental-studio/
(and vocals) :slight_smile:

I’ve only had the chance to listen through once so far, but very much in agreement with this.

It’s linked to here: //// musica ignotum : lcrp.solstice.2.2018 ////

thank you for the detailed reply. the enzo section sounds lush. have been eyeing the h9 for a while!!

I read your post about your recording method and it was amazing. such a brilliant way of approaching the challenge.

when I read the title of your track, and then heard the sounds emerging, I was instantly put in mind of a fabulous thought from Spinoza:

“Further conceive, I beg, that a stone, while continuing in motion, should be capable of thinking and knowing, that it is endeavoring, as far as it can, to continue to move. Such a stone, being conscious merely of its own endeavor and not at all indifferent, would believe itself to be completely free, and would think that it continued in motion solely because of its own wish. This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined.”

Sorry if it’s a little off topic, but I’m not quite sure what is on topic any more!!

It’s pretty, eh, striking how metallic the stones sound. I really like the rhythms in the piece.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! To your questions:

1. Field recording slowed 1200% [Adobe Audition] + Mirage effect [for bit reduction + downsample] [Ableton]

2. Field recording slowed 1200% run through doppler shifter [Adobe Audition] + Moscow resonator + Dominator distortion VST + Wanderer filter delay [Ableton]

Thanks for your kind feedback. Love this quote! I’m a psychologist in my day gig and free will, its existence and limitations, and its application are frequent topics in the kind of therapy I conduct. Also, although I was a philosophy minor as an undergraduate, I never read Spinosa directly, but was intrigued by the summaries I read in Durant. Do you have a citation for this?

@otolythe, thanks so much! I have to say I love your handle. Very clever!

Still listening through all the tracks…

The core doctrine is in Spinoza’s Ethics, although this quote is from his letter to Schuller (letter 58 on page 85 in the following PDF) :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.earlymoderntexts.com/assets/pdfs/spinoza1661.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj34fzUocDfAhWJWbwKHS3QCu4QFjACegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw114KAdkpwJ7Y3ii1TbXvw_

This week’s Disquiet Junto should be relevant to this group’s interests.

Cross-pollination between species — I mean projects — would be great.