Mutable Instruments Marbles

I’m intrigued… any thoughts?

Glad to see some new modules from MI. Have yet to jump on the Plaits hype train(want to so bad).

Edit: could be a cv version of Grids?

That’s what I’m guessing. Like tinrs Tuesday.

That would be cool! I like Tuesday but not a big fan of the panel design & knob colours.

Hopefully we’ll have the answer soon!

So far my favourite new Mi module!
btw. this was made using it as the modulation and pitch-sequence source (I had previously posted it, but at the time of course I could be specific about what I had used to creat it):

But what’s behind the blurry bit?

Probably the unreleased Peaks replacement?

Mutable Stages. Some sort of 6-channel function generator. Looks like it might allow you to design 6 x 6-stage functions using sliders. I’m speculating there’s shape/time control over each stage, and then in the global mode you have time control over the whole function you’ve designed. Perhaps a mode to take you through a function stage-wise with triggers, and another mode for using Gates.

I’ve been beta testing Marbles (along with Plaits and The Other New One). I thought I wasn’t going to be very excited by a Random Stuff Generator since I didn’t use random in my music much.

…I was wrong. It changed how I work and is one of the things that led me to getting a Teletype. They work well together, as in this example :slight_smile:

Sequencing is Marbles + Teletype, sound is Rings, Plaits, E370 and Manis Iteritas.

Thats sounds really great.
Question: I’ve a Teletype (+Expanders), do I need Marbles?

Cheers
Marcus

YES! FINALLY.

I love, love, love this module. All of my Plaits demos were sequenced using it. It’s very inspiring.

I don’t know about need, but it is a pretty great module. Teletype with expanders can do a very useful subset of what Marbles does, but perhaps not everything. I also think they complement each other nicely and it’s good to have Teletype free to do other things.

My first reaction to Marbles (I thought I was only going to be testing Plaits!) was “what the hell is this thing? That looks like scary math stuff on the front panel. Deja Vu, is that a French joke or a Matrix reference? Oh, random… I don’t need random.” But I use it on a regular basis now. I suspect of all the 2018 Mutable stuff, Marbles will sell the fewest units because it may be hard to appreciate until you’ve tried it – but that people who have one will love it and use it a lot.

I’d love to hear more about how you perceive the ideal relationship between Marbles and Teletype? That was my first question on digging into it. I want to bite the bullet on this, but I need some coaxing! :upside_down_face:

Actually that was one thing I thought as well, since I do have a Teletype + 2 expanders. You code most of what Marbles does with it. There’s a couple of things that might need a bit of inventiveness, but I guess you can get pretty close. The playability of it though makes it very interesting (and also makes it interesting as an addition to the TT), also I like having some gates that I can patch into the TT.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the deja vu functionality is similar to the (unexpanded) turing machine? I’ve always been undecided about random modules, but the variety of functionality offered here is very tempting.

Similar on the surface. Marbles does not loop the random voltages and gates on the outputs, but the seed that created these. This means once you’re in a completely looping mode (no new values are getting generated) you can still tweak all the parameters and hence change what is being output.
To make an example, let’s say you hit the deja vu button for the X outputs (CVs) and have the deja vu knob at 12 o’clock, i.e. no new random values are being generated. You’ll get a repeating sequence that loops after the amount of steps set by LENGTH. If you now tweak the SPREAD knob you can influence how these looping values are interpreted though, so you can go from a fixed voltage to something more concentrated in the middle to voltages that are all on the extremes. But always looping on themselves, so if you put the SPREAD knob at 3 o’clock you will get CVs jumping around between extreme values, but still looping.
And of course this is also true for other positions of the deja-vu knob

Not for me, but “Front panel with Computer Modern labels, just like on your calculus textbook.”

:heart: Looking great @papernoise

Thanks! Yeah CMU Serif has that nice mathy flavour, which you just have to like :smiley:

Right, I had assumed that’s how it worked. Hats of to Olivier, lots of clever ideas here. Can’t wait to see what the next modules bring!