Mutable Instruments Marbles

There is some amazing plucked violin vibes here! Amazing, love this so much! Are you willing to share some other patch notes on this?!

IIRC the patch is relatively simple. I think it was Marbles doing the triggering and pitch-CV (with the built-in quantizer), with some modulation on the t section’s BIAS, which creates these intermittently faster notes. Everything then passes through a delay (I think Chronoblob with a VCF in the send-return loop). Rings is being modulated by Marbles and by some other LFOs (likely Stages) and its excitation signal comes from Tides. Maybe I was also modulating Tides’ level with Marbles…
I think that’s all there is to it, I remember it being a very simple patch.

this is awesome! vaguely reminds me of some of the ambient sound beds in the movie “her”

Thanks for the kind words everyone, most appreciated.

I must remember to watch Her. Joaquin Phoenix always does good films, I want to catch 'You Were Never really Here. I think Jonny Greenwood did the score for it as well (sorry for the derail :grinning:).

Back on track, I was thinking that Marbles and Plaits (along with a few other goodies) in a 42hp ‘lunchbox’ would make a very capable+portable sequencer+synth combo!

Loved it as well, are the chords the Pico Voice?

Cheers!

The chords are Plaits in chord mode, with modulation applied to the inversion control (if you have Plaits then make sure to try this… it sounds amazing!).

The output of Plaits was sent through Ripples for some filter modulation.

Pico Voice is the high melody line that crops up every now and then (sequenced and triggered from Marbles), Mangrove is the ‘brassy’ type sound that weaves in and out (sequenced and triggered from Marbles), and Rings is the main melody heard at the start (sequenced and triggered from Korg SQ1).

Interesting thing to try: X section as an clocked quantizer

Set Spread to zero

Set Steps to the quantized values

Input signal to be quantized into Bias

internal or external clock sets the “resolution”, how soon it picks the next value

Set X to yellow or red modes to have additional random outs

I picked up a marbles form Midwest Modular today and played around with it for a little bit tonight. I’ve got to say this thing is what I always wanted to be the heart of my system. It’s going to replace an o_C which was almost exclusively run as a 4x turing machine and an accompanying temps utile as a primary clock/gate source. I had recently built a branches for that temps utile, and likely both will be going up to the FS section soon, because this thing is amazing!

sounds to come soon!

A first little instagram sketch from last night as I was going through the manual. This thing is super fun! Marbles triggering and pitching rings and plonk. plonk as an exciter for rings. The Y section setting the velocity for plonk. Clouds and Rings modulated by an o_C in Quadraturia mode. Clouds R channel going into pico DSP for some stereo delay.

Could I ask how people are integrating Marbles into a setup with Kria/grid being the main sequencing source for pitch/gate.

I’m interested in this too.

Another Ambient Marbles track I knocked up over the weekend:

Marbles is sequencing and triggering Rings, Plaits and Mangrove voices.

I left Marbles ‘cooking’ overnight, and then returned and got this sequence so locked it in and recorded it. I love that you can just leave your system playing away and come back to something totally new and unexpected (and have total control over how much randomisation there is).

A Just Friends in sound mode is also played via Pressure Points.

The random output from Marbles is also used to modulate Rings position. Other modulation and envelopes from Quadra and Wogglebug.

I also just bought an ADDAC guitar pedal interface, so was able to process Rings through Fairfield Meet Maude and Shallow Water (my favourite guitars pedals… if you have not tried them look them up!).

Marbles is just so much fun… can’t recommend it enough!

About to pre order. Any news on when these will be back around?

July at some point if I recall correctly.

Apparently there’s some shortage on capacitors which is now causing a backlog with manufacturers. Sounds like it could be longer than 4 weeks. I’ve been checking the mutable forums for updates.

Marbles sequencing and triggering Elements and Plaits. The Elements sequence is running through Morphagene, which is being modulated by Batumi. Erbe-Verb and DLD for effects.

This was the most difficult Nintendo game I spent my hard-earned allowance money on as a kid. I don’t remember enjoying it one bit. I do remember my friend Zac picking it up for the first time and beating my high score immediately.

Now that I’m watching this video, I want to play it again. It has all the difficulty of a rogue-like, and all the charm of early Nintendo. Plus, dat soundtrack.

I played “Marble Madness” so poorly as a kid that I have no desire to revisit it, even to re-experience the game’s charms.

Occasionally I consider picking up one of those marble modules from ADDAC but they cost too much for my financial condition. I think another company has a similar module but perhaps that is simply a dream.

It was originally an Atari arcade game – the very first with stereo FM sound. It had a really nicely composed soundtrack too, a standout for its time and probably my favorite ever.

I was half-decent-ish at the arcade game (since I had the opportunity to play it free for several hours). I never tried any of the console ports though.