Mutable Instruments Plaits

I posted on Muff’s, but I’ll copy-paste it here:

This is, hands-down, the greatest oscillator I’ve used. To give you an idea of how much effort has gone into this, Olivier sent me one back in June 2016. He’s been very quick to fix bugs and refine control ranges. I’ve had a lot of experience with it, yet I’m still finding all sorts of new tricks.

Some quick thoughts to address some of the posts here:

• Don’t rush to sell Rings. The various noise modes (and aux outputs) are excellent for pairing with Rings and expanding its capabilities.

• The Aux modes are excellent and easy to overlook. Plaits pairs very well with a crossfader for quickly auditioning both outputs.

• The built-in envelope generator and low-pass gate are perhaps my favorite part. Like Rings, you need very few cables to get something moving.

• Additionally, the envelope generator is normalled to the CV inputs, which is very convenient. As a quick example, in the Kick Drum mode, just adjusting the FM knob without anything connected to that input will give you the frequency envelope adjustment that you would expect on a good kick synth.

• Again, AUX MODES. Use them. For instance, one of the noise models has a trigger output that works exactly like SuperCollider’s Dust (random triggers with variable density). It is excellent for triggering random percussion, grains, pinging filters, etc.

• If you dig Tides as an oscillator, all of Tides oscillator functions (and Sheep) are in here.

I’d be happy to answer questions.

pre ordered mine with a plonk replacement in mind. i only use one preset that i made myself on my plonk and after having it for some months now i don’t really jive with the interface and menu screens. plaits seems more fitting for my system. excited!

Tides is my favorite MI module. I guess I won’t regret buying this! I also love Supercolliders Dust.

@trickyflemming, since you offered…

all the adjustments to the LPG response seem to be knob/button-based in the video. is this adjustable with CV?

No. Decay times and LPG depths are set using the knob + button combo. The exceptions are the various percussion modes which have Decay = Morph.

I think the big question for me is, “will my Briads ever sell now that Plaits exists?”.

…and should I sell clouds ASAP?

one more q: do you have a secret EP of teletype with plaits that can now see the light of day? :open_mouth:

ok, that got me.

sounds very useful for self-patching, too!

good question, sorta thinking that, too. It’s still worth something (it still sounds as good as it did yesterday! :stuck_out_tongue:), especially for someone just getting started, and at least it was featured in Arturia’s RackBrute press media!

No but that gives me a great idea for how to spend my evenings next week…

@Dan_Derks (and anyone else who is curious), @trickyflemming did do the really great sounding demos embedded on the module’s web page

the eurorack world is getting older, and it’s apart of the same tech train as any other mainstream pro audio gear. updates and v2 modules will be inevitable, and it will definitely decrease the price of the older versions (except maybe clouds which will probably be worth the moon in 10 years). unless i see a module that does something i specifically use 100% better than what i already have and i think i can legitimately work more efficiently and creatively with it, there is really no reason to always have the newest thing… and i’m sure a lot of people will still buy the old stuff because it’s easier to buy into. personally if i have had a module for 2+ years and then all of a sudden a new module makes it’s value go down another 10%, i don’t think i’ll be too bummed if i got a lot of use out of it or would still like to use it because it’s what i know.

Shit… good point!

Keep in mind that the built-in LPG is mostly an additional thing, not really the main functionality of the module. Making these CV-controllable would have requited adding more jacks, which would have made the module bigger. It’s still useful and super nice to have imho, but when you want more control you’ll want a dedicated LPG / VCA or whatever it will be. I might seem an obvious thing to say, but it’s tempting to make modules that break the modular equation by doing too much stuff, but we all know from experience that the modular is most interesting when you connect up multiple modules in interesting ways.

Good question. I still think that Braids is interesting for certain things, and the two are definitely kind of different modules. There’s a many things in Braids which are not really covered by Plaits.

Great job on those @trickyflemming!

My ‘ancient’ Dixie v1 just keeps on chooglin’ :slight_smile:

Til death do us part.

You are right… for instance, what about Drift, Flat, and Sign?

I should also add that if I had a module for 2+ years and it’s been working really well for me, maybe I don’t need the mk2 version. Musically speaking the best gear is the one you know in and out, the one you have spent most time with. I know, I’m basically saying: don’t buy Plaits if you have Braids, which I guess I shouldn’t be… :smiley: (though of course one can have Braids and Plaits!)

i suppose the only thing that’s kinda annoying is when something gets smaller in HP…

And the bitrate reduction, and the quantizer. Braids was – towards the end – getting into full voice territory and I think it was a good choice to take a step back and reduce functionality, going the “less but better road”. But yeah, that makes Plaits kind of a module of its own, less a Braids mk2, but more a complete reboot of what Braids could have been since the beginning.

I was going to say the same thing. I’ve been trying to downsize all of my modules and was looking at uBraids and uClouds already.