Mutable Instruments Plaits

this seems like a great and versatile compliment to my DPO and the BIA i recently traded for. It solves my chord problem and gives me a massive bunch of sounds to make drones, percussions, and other filler elements in my compositions. I’ve got a really interesting prototype coming soon that I can only effectively describe as a “maths with wavetable crossfading between its outputs” that is going to be insane as a crossfader between the main and aux outputs for a dynamic sound.

I wholeheartedly agree with olivier’s reasoning for discontinuing braids(all of those reasons are why I never picked up one in the first place) and the more intuitive interface of plaits. And it makes me very happy to see that he managed to lower the price making it more accessible to more people. I hope other manufacturers follow in his footsteps.

sighs and opens up modulargrid

distinct patterns would be great, or else, RGB leds that allowed for alternative colors

re: LEDs - aren’t there Red/Blue bicolor LEDs available in the same package as the more common Orange-ish Red/Green? RGB would seem to be a bit more complicated to switch to.

A little cross-post from the “Latest Tracks & Videos” thread, as Plaits arrived today:

I’ve been spending some time with the new Mutable Instruments Plaits this afternoon & I’m absolutely smitten with this module already.

Here’s a little track I put together using the Filtered Noise mode. Delay provided by Disting & Clouds providing some modulation. Just a simple Euclidian trigger from Pamela’s New Workout & a melodic sequence from Ornament & Crime’s Sequins. I just set the above off & played around with a few of the controls as it was going. Seriously looking forward to some more studio time with this great oscillator.

dang, that was quicker than I expected! where did yours come from?

I ordered through Mattech Modular, so it only had to travel from the north of England to the south coast.

As cool as this is, I’m more looking forward to whatever else there is in store, especially in terms of the ground covered by peaks.

I made another track featuring Plaits today - this one is more indicative of how it works with other things going on in the mix too & utilises the Granular Formant Oscillator mode. The counter-melody is from my Moog Mother 32.

this is lovely! 20202020

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it.

@hightowersdeepwells I’m wondering how you are finding the aux output? It’s one of the features that seems most exciting about the module to me.

I never bought Braids, and am now glad I didn’t. However, I do have both Clouds and Peaks, and think perhaps it is time to sell them.

I’m yet to properly get into the aux output - I’m also really excited to dive into the possibilities that this brings. Have you got any specific patch ideas in mind for this?

I think there was some mention on the mutable site some of the aux outputs to excite rings - which could be really fun. Putting both outputs through three sisters would be fun.

Generally I think parallel processing and moving between two different but related signals will create a lot of really musical possibilities.

Definitely! I’m going to try to make something musical using this & Rings as my after-work patch tomorrow. I’ll update this thread again so long as I manage to make something half-decent!

I agree! I think this is such an under-utilized aspect of modules and module design. So much music is all about different yet related things, repeated but modified motifs, and similar concepts, but relatively few modules have much real focus on this…Plaits and Just Friends being a couple obvious exceptions.

If you have Warps, turn off the internal oscillators and plug both Plaits outputs into it. Start with the crossfader, as that will help you learn Plaits more quickly. Then, start exploring how the other modes interact. In particular, I’ve had great results with the Plaits FM mode here.

Also, as @jwhiles mentioned, a lot of the red modes are great for plugging into Rings or Elements.

Really looking forward to trying this with the Cold Mac

This is really good, I love it

I do a lot of mixing the main/aux into Rings (either bank) - I might shift main/aux into LxD and see what spills out of that.

that Warps tip seems like a great reason to find a Warps. or as @dansimco wrote, a Cold Mac.