Mutable Instruments Plaits

I agree! I think this is such an under-utilized aspect of modules and module design. So much music is all about different yet related things, repeated but modified motifs, and similar concepts, but relatively few modules have much real focus on this…Plaits and Just Friends being a couple obvious exceptions.

If you have Warps, turn off the internal oscillators and plug both Plaits outputs into it. Start with the crossfader, as that will help you learn Plaits more quickly. Then, start exploring how the other modes interact. In particular, I’ve had great results with the Plaits FM mode here.

Also, as @jwhiles mentioned, a lot of the red modes are great for plugging into Rings or Elements.

Really looking forward to trying this with the Cold Mac

This is really good, I love it

I do a lot of mixing the main/aux into Rings (either bank) - I might shift main/aux into LxD and see what spills out of that.

that Warps tip seems like a great reason to find a Warps. or as @dansimco wrote, a Cold Mac.

Today’s rumination on Plaits marks my 1st patching attempt utilising the Aux out. This is being used twice in this track - once to excite Rings on the melodic content (with disparate sequences being sent to both) - Plaits is in the Granular Formant Oscillator mode for this, with Rings functioning as a Modal Resonator.

Both outputs are also used to provide some rhythmic content too - with Plaits in the Filtered Noise mode for this.

Plaits is being used (yet again) as one part of the drone underpinning everything, this time in Wavetable Oscillator mode, providing an octave up to a Square wave coming from my Mother 32.

Today’s track was less immediate to make than yesterday’s or the day before’s, but my wife (who is a music teacher) has Parent’s Evening tonight, so I had extra time on my hands :slight_smile: Bonus points to anyone who can name the location of the picture.

Wow! This is lovely!

tromsø? 20 characters

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Correct! Such a beautiful place & the first place we ever managed to see the Northern Lights.

I explored some different modes this afternoon - today it was the turn of 2 Operator FM & Chord modes. Today’s picture is much closer to home (taken on my street).

That sounds so good. Thanks for all these demos!

these demo tracks are so good! keep em coming!

Final Plaits demo of the week (I plan to spend the weekend finishing off my LCRP submission & I’m really intrigued by the Junto @disquiet has posted this week, so time permitting I may post something for that).

To take the demos on a little bit of a tangent, I am only utilising the Aux output to excite Rings in this one, but again, several modes (harmonic, vowel & chord) are used for this purpose. This has been such a fun week exploring this module :slight_smile:

Curious, does anyone know what microprocessor is used in Plaits? Wondering if Olivier is sticking with the STM32 line ARM chips or has decided to go another route?

First couple patches with Plaits:

Watched the guys at Synth City in the process of setting up for this video featuring four Plaits and a MalletKAT MIDI controller:

Having a lot of fun with Plaits! This one is the chord mode (which is really fun for building drones) on one plaits, and the harmonic oscillator mode with the plucky LPG on a second plaits, going into warps and out into pedals.

@Tyresta & @jlmitch5 - these are sounding great. Good to see you’re both enjoying this module too. :slight_smile: