Mutable Instruments Plaits

Same to you @hightowersdeepwells and @jlmitch5! Excited to check out more of your music. :headphones:

I’ve only spent about an hour with Plaits in my case; first impressions are very good. Very clever design, dense but ergonomic, good sounds, complements my analog oscillators (DPO, VCOb) without replacing them entirely.

Favorite cheap trick so far is to run an LFO into the trig input and dial it in just right that it is riding the edge between being a solid tone and discrete hits, makes for quite a rich timbre in many of the modes.

Ansible 1-3 -> Teletype 1-3
Teletype TR 1 -> Plaits Trig
Teletype CV 1 -> Plaits Model

Set Plaits to Bassdrum.

TT scene:

CV 1 V 0
DEL 5: TR.P 1 
CV 1 412
CV 1 910

Ansible triggers 1 - 3 will trigger Plaits Bassdrum, Snare, and Hi-hats respectively.
(In the script, I just ran with the first cv values that worked :slight_smile: )

Edit: This can obviously be done without the TT, but you’re restricted to one CV/G track of the Ansible. Which means you can’t mute the individual drums.

Sure do wish these were still available somewhere. :sweat_smile:

(still in stock at the time of posting this)

Aaaaand ordered. Thanks my dude!

will definitely be using this DEL 5 trick in the future, nice!

A slight delay between CV and Trig, is often a wonderful thing :slight_smile:

Plaits is worth the price for the Kicks alone. That said, I’m not sure I can justify the HP when I’m trying to downsize.

Half the size with just the models on the right-hand side would be perfect. What’s the best model on the left side?

Right now I am pretty fond of the Harmonic Osc, but mostly I have been in the red zone with aux out to Rings :slight_smile:

@Justmat I’ve been exploring your script and tweaking it to work when receiving similar triggers at the same time on the 3 teletype ins. I’m working right now with Tempi sending it quarter, eight and sixteenth notes into the 3 respective teletype ins (I guess this would be a sort of race condition).

To deal with this I’m setting/resetting a variable which acts as a conditional for breaking the snare/hi-hat scripts. The idea being to give “precedence” to kick over snare and snare over hi-hat. The break controls don’t quite work 100%…I wonder if there’s some magic math to get them to work exactly as expected.

I’ve got the param knob to tweak the delay time on the reset of the a variable I’m using as gate. fully CW will essentially act as a kick solo…and moving it CCW will bring in more drums.

TT scene:

TR.TIME 1 15
A 1
CV 1 V 0
A 1
CV 1 412
DEL DIV PARAM 2: A 0 // no real reason I'm dividing, just seemed to help when I was messing around?
CV 1 910

reducing the models to just the right side would not gain you many HPs. reducing the knobs would, but it would make the module very boring. The best model is probably the one you like best, which I guess is something only you can know :slight_smile:

Good point re HP and Knobs.

“Best” is subjective, you’re right. I should have asked which left-side models people are enjoying most.

I was of course just teasing you! Btw. I personally really like the Harmonic oscillator mode and the waveshaping oscillator. The cool thing about these is that you get a pretty wide spectrum of timbres, and I really like the sound of the wavefolded one… not sure I can explain that, it just resonates with me on a deeper level.

Surprised myself last night when I discovered the speak & spell mode contains a lot more depth than I expected. I figured it’d just be a bit of a fun gimmick, but at the right settings, with the right modulation, it makes very interesting textures and rhythms, with no discernible words heard.

Totally feel the same! I had it doing a really nice LoFi metallic string pluck. Sounded amazing through a delay!

Got mine today, and really appreciating this Teletype snippet right now. Very fun way to route drums!

So far I love this thing!

i missed the purchase fury of this too, i am VERY interested in LPC though

just wanna say that as of yesterday, robotspeak still had plaits in stock! I had to pay $26 for ground shipping, which is a little ridiculous, but they were the only dealer I could find that still had them, so it was that or wait till may.

Three new songs featuring Plaits as the main sound source. STO and Rings are also in the mix.