Mutable Instruments Stages

So this is the final new release for a while, right? Gotta admit, I’m gassing for each new module.

Quick question for one of the beta testers:

Can someone more explicitly explain the relationship between the slider [C] and the CV input [1]? The documentation merely lets us know that they are related, but now how.

Does anyone know what the longest cycle time is for LFOs/ envelopes?

I think 16 seconds according to the manual. Not sure if that can be extended with CV though.

Is it 16s per stage? i.e. 32 for 2 etc…

CV and slider are always summed, up to the max 8V level. I suspect but am not actually sure that the CV input is bipolar, and I’m at work now and can’t test.

The slider controls a parameter that depends on the selected mode. So if a section is set to ramp, for eg., it controls the ramp time.
Let’s say you make a 2-segment AD envelope, the slider will control the attack time on the first segment and the decay time on the second. The CV input will act on that parameter, so you can modulate the decay time with a sequencer (eg. the other 4 segments you are not using).
As Starthief said, it’s being added to the slider, which acts as an offset. I also can’t remember what happens with negative voltage but maybe I can quickly test later.

This is the first of the new set to really pique my interest. I need to sell some stuff. :moneybag:

I know I’ve run audio through it and it only sounded like sample rate reduction rather than half-wave rectification, but I don’t think I put it on a scope at the time.

(Audio through a red single stage, for delay, is pretty cool: lo-fi sample reduction, then as the delay time increases so does lowpass filtering – I’m guessing that in order to avoid having massive memory buffers for longer delay times, it samples at a lower rate and slews the result. Possibly even in some very clever adaptive way that avoids turning sharp edges into mush.)

Ugh - GAS is high here as well. Plaits and Marbles are terrific, but this is the one I was waiting for more info on.

Wondering the same thing. As someone who’s just recently acquired a TT (and who owns a JF), I feel like I should hold off on Stages for now in order to fully explore the possibilities of Just Type. I just can’t make up my mind as to whether Stages at this point would be an immediate enhancement or a (temporary) complication as I dive into other stuff.

Anyone rocking a Stages along with a JF/TT combo? Any insights?

They do work great together (and Tempi…I now have the desire to create a piece with the three called “666” lol).

I think (I need to double-check next time I’m in front of the modular) Stages inherits some version of the Peaks Tap mode gate pattern detection code of irregular rhythms. Thinking about this again makes me want to explore Stages with a Euclidean rhythms patch I created on the Teletype the other day…

Olivier posted elsewhere that the tap LFO feature is “smarter than Peaks, not as smart as Marbles”.

Somehow in the 4 months I’ve had this thing I didn’t even try that… this module does so much :smiley:

This is the first module I’ve preordered.

Definitely getting two of these! But I’m keeping my maths for my smaller system, as I use its mixing functionality a lot; with stages you’d need a blinds and a kinks to get all the various features.

At first I thought it looked a bit confusing/finnicky to use.

Now after reading through the manual… nope it looks like another genius design from Olivier :grin:

Deep and (insanely) flexible functionality coupled with a clear interface :sunglasses:

‘The new Maths’?!?

I posted this image in the standalone instruments thread, but I’ll share it here.

When Olivier sent me Marbles, Plaits, and Stages, my modular was at a ridiculous 33U. Because of these modules (and the ER-301), I’m down to a better 15U (although I will likely go smaller).

Stages is completely ridiculous. When learning, I mainly stuck with step sequencing, LFOs, and simple decay envelopes. Part of me didn’t want to learn the “recipes” listed in the manual. I found that it’s a lot of fun just to experiment and blindly build complex envelopes.

The other day, I had this great envelope running where the hold stage was a looping two-stage section that essentially created a granular hold. If I tapped a key on my keyboard briefly, it would provide a simple attack-decay sound. When I held down the key, the granular hold would then also trigger a step sequencer to the left of it. That step sequencer would trigger another…

this looks like a very, very good time

Plaits, Marbles, Stages all have me thinking on whether I can get back down to a meaningful 3U again…

I need more vca’s before I buy another envelope generator, but holy shit this looks right up my alley.

Wow, the DivKid video is excellent. He does a great job at showing off the power of one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8FwJUq5qsk&feature=youtu.be

hmm…only uni LFO…not tempted any more :slight_smile: