Mutable Instruments Stages

I just realized:

Since the LFO sync depends on a particular voltage threshold, you can achieve a phase delay independent of the frequency, if you use triangle, sine or trapezoidal shapes for your master LFO.

Mult the output through an atteunator or voltage offset to lower it, so the threshold arrives later in the phase :slight_smile:

I do have both Stages and Batumi as well, but got the latter only very recently (and it’s borrowed). My first impression is that the two work well together in the same system, since each has its own strength, personally I’d probably go with Stages+Batumi rather than 2xStages, since that seems to cover a really wide range of possible modulations. except of course if space requirements would force me to only one module, in which case it would probably be Stages.

I think I’d TRY to have both Batumi and Stages in my 3u but I’m still imagining what this new lil build would be (considering it’s mostly all racked in my 6u…)

fwiw, Stages has me questioning if I could sell my Batumi. The design makes so much sense - a good amount of utility and complexity without screens or hard to remember button presses.

I recommend running them side-by-side first. Batumi is an awfully useful module and pairs really well with Stages. There’s a lot that one will do that the other won’t. I can’t speak to how often yr doing button press stuff on Batumi, I don’t find it that bad but I’ve set it one way and don’t futz too much.

I generally find the Batumi easy to use - I guess I was comparing Stages to other modules I’ve tried recently - didn’t gel with the Pam’s workout for example and sub menus, even though it didn’t bother me too much at first. It’s all a little hard to explain, especially given that I use an ER-301 and Teletype. I’ll probably end up sticking with Just Friends/Maths/Batumi for my modulation - quite a bit to keep me busy for a long time.

I kind of felt like Pam’s was awkward to navigate, and a little rearranging of the menu and one more button to navigate would have helped.

(Though really, Pam’s wasn’t what I needed; sometimes I want a bunch of gates to derive from a master clock but sometimes I really don’t. Teletype is what I needed. :slight_smile: )

Could you elaborate on the lofi audio processing? I already know that I want to get my hands on one of these, but I’d love to hear how it shapes things at audio rate… does it do PLL type stuff?

The specifications for Stages say It has a refresh rate of 31.25kHz.

A Step or Hold channel with no gate and the pot turned full CCW will alias, with somewhat different character for Step vs. Hold. Turning up the slider will add a DC offset and thus clip it.

In Step mode, turning up the knob will slew (lowpass filter) the audio. in Hold mode, it will delay it but also apply lowpass filtering to it – the longer the delay time, the lower the sample rate, but it will smooth the samples to compensate. (It’s kind of a shame the delay time can’t be modulated from external CV.)

Step mode with a rate is a sample+hold – so with an audio-rate squarewave into the gate, you can control the sample reduction effect.

If you use Hold mode with an audio rate gate, it’s sort of a choppier and filthier version of that, since it’s a gate/trigger generator where the CV input and slider determine the level.

Running audio through gates without a CV input, for envelopes or hold segments (with the slider up), also gets pretty crazy. It was a technique I used a lot with the 0-Coast’s Slope section, but with Stages you have multiple segments to play with, including short holds for a crackle effect :slight_smile:

I went back to Timerunner from Pams for the a similar reason.

Something I’ve been wondering: I’ve been looking into picking up a VCA to go along with stages, probably either a Blinds or a Veils. Am I right in thinking that, given the shape controls on the stages, there’s no need for the adjustable response curve on the Veils and so would be better off with Blinds, even for audio?

Yes and no. The exponential curve on Veils also let’s you go way beyond unity gain, and hence also has an influence on how much you can amplify the signal, which is not something you can do by adjusting the mod source curve.
Also Blinds is less suitable if you want your VCA to close to zero. Not that you can’t do that, but it’s more fiddly.

Right: I was aware of the zero issue, but hadn’t thought about the amplification potential. Ideally I would have both modules, but they’d take up too much space in the 3U setup I’m trying to put together…

As an owner of both Batumi+Poti and Maths, considering Stages for my small (126HP) rack has me questioning the future of Maths, not Batumi+Poti. That may be heresy, but what’s a little heresy among friends, right?

as someone with Batumi/poti, Maths AND Stages in a 208hp system, I still find Maths very useful, even just picking up envelope duty when i get more wild w Stages.

this depends on what you are using Maths and Batumi for, of course, but Stages has certainly taken away the need for Maths to always be there. check back in a couple months after an eventual reshuffle of my system, see who is still hanging around!

Stages does have me feeling a strong interest in more logic/cv tangling modules - a Cold Mac could do enough to take enough tasks off Maths to maybe free up that 20hp

Can Stages provide end of cycle/release out? Couldn’t quite understand from the manual. That’s one of the reasons I can’t see getting rid of Maths as it really can change the direction of a patch.

I found out it can. Olivier sent me the recipe in an email after hearing it from another user. Add a short dummy HOLD stage to the end of an envelope to provide a trigger at that output.

I would recommend Blinds for any CV VCA needs. Will be next to my Stages when I get one to join my Batumi and Functions.

Blinds seemed almost designed for Stages (maybe vice versa)