mx.synths

Super excited for this levelling up of my ability to pretend I can make actual music :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m getting some pitch weirdness when I hit start/stop on the chords. Anyone else having this behavior?

A sample:

1 Like

lol what is that! I’m not totally sure what is happening there…it sounds like portamento. are you in “monophonic” mode perhaps?

1 Like

huehue thanks that helped :slight_smile: somehow I had it set to monophonic by default

1 Like

It’s failing to load for me since updating it - any idea why?

script load: /home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/mx.synths.lua

cleanup

script clear

including /home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/arp.lua

SCRIPT ERROR: load fail

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/arp.lua:4: module ‘sequins’ not found:

no field package.preload[‘sequins’]

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/core/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/core/params/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/lib/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/softcut/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/dust/code/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘/usr/share/lua/5.3/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/share/lua/5.3/sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘./sequins.lua’

no file ‘./sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/sequins.so’

no file ‘/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lua/5.3/sequins.so’

no file ‘/usr/lib/lua/5.3/sequins.so’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/loadall.so’

no file ‘./sequins.so’

stack traceback:

/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:143: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:143>

[C]: in function ‘require’

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/arp.lua:4: in main chunk

[C]: in function ‘dofile’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/startup.lua:43: in function ‘include’

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/mx.synths.lua:16: in main chunk

[C]: in function ‘dofile’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:186: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:186>

[C]: in function ‘xpcall’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:144: in field ‘try’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:186: in function ‘core/script.load’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/preview.lua:23: in function ‘core/menu/preview.key’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:140: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:117>

script clear

clock: ignoring resumption of canceled clock (no coroutine)

1 Like

is your norns running norns: update 210927? the sequins library was introduced during this update.

4 Likes

Is there a Fates Update for that yet? Encountered the same problem, but using a Fates instead of Norns.

2 Likes

Haven’t troubleshot yet but I’m managing to get it to crash the audio completely (no sound on any script till a restart) on the last 2 new piano instruments

1 Like

Yes, you can run update from the menu and it will work.

Or at least it did for me.

1 Like

v0.5.0 - two more synths!

17 Likes

Very cool - thanks!! Quick question - what is the easiest/quickest way to update mx.synths? Would I just press the “update” button in the “installed” tab in Maiden? I don’t want to have to re-download all of the instruments I have already installed if I don’t have to.

1 Like

MX Samples is the one with all the instruments, MX Synths is not a large package, update thru Maiden is the easiest.

3 Likes

Oh sick! Can’t wait to update.

1 Like

Yes, of course! Sorry for the brain cramp - thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Really enjoying these. As well as all the different synths, what I like the most is the amount of lfo modulation you have for all the parameters in the menu. The arp and chords also are very musical.

I have a couple of requests - would it be possible to use the grid instead of a usb keyboard to play? Would love to output midi for those arp and chord sections.

2 Likes

Check this out gridkeys | norns community

5 Likes

Hey thanks - the keyboard works great and is very handy for playing scripts.

The arps / chords output midi on 1 channel, when the keys are pressed, but was hoping they would also output midi, in the free running locked (unpressed) mode also.

1 Like

Hey there!

I really like this format for having a library of synths in a single app.

I’m working on integrating mx.synths as a library in another app, following the directions from the top post and I am getting this error:

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/mx.synths.lua:287: attempt to call a nil value (field ‘mx_fxset’)

Was wondering if something has been changed from what’s in the docs, or if I need to track down another error.

EDIT: I got it working, I needed to move the second two lines of code from the docs to my init function, just in case anyone runs into the same issue!

3 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing CU spikes and hearing occasional crackling on 3b+/shield with the latest OS …

Running some droning songs and watching the !!! pop up on SELECT page of the norns menu.

1 Like

which synth caused crackling? also what was the effective polyphony (# notes currently down + # notes being released)?