mx.synths

Another beauty to add to your collection!

I got a good friend a Shield for his upcoming 50th birthday and am going to load all your scripts up on it for him to explore. :heart:

4 Likes

This is incredible! I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Another beautiful addition <3

1 Like

Amazing work!! Can’t wait to finish work and give it a go.

1 Like

20 characters of uh lala

1 Like

This is awesome, congratulations on another excellent script

1 Like

Pretty chaotic modular in the back but I’m loving this tree synth…decided to keep both norns now because of this lol

5 Likes

Had a go, really great sounds and nice graphics :slight_smile: So far I mapped all 4 mod controls to midi sliders so I can with some finger stretching twiddle them all while playing with the other hand :smiley: Yet to look at LFOs etc but seems promising :slight_smile:

2 Likes

v0.1.0 - added icarus

• add icarus

I just added one more synth - basically porting the icarus script with some minor adjustments (add the low-note priority bass and adjusting feedback levels). its not as responsive as the script itself (there is no visual volume feedback) but it sounds great imo. here’s a demo of it playing in tandem with the op-1 fm engine:

and again, thanks for all the kind words everyone. love seeing your creations.

21 Likes

Enjoying these so much :slight_smile:

Would it be easy to add a fixed velocity option to the sensitivity?

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m a newbie with Norns Shield and I was interested in this script so I installed it, but when I try to open it says “Error: init”
So I was wondering what is the problem. Thanks if somebody helps me

1 Like

Check if your Norns is up to date and/or restart it

4 Likes

Thanks, it work now!

1 Like

done! the last option is now a “fixed” option.

2 Likes

Amazing, thanks, will give it a go now :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a wonderful script! Loving the sounds and the icarus port. Would be possible to add the extended polyphony and sustain to Icarus “standalone”??

1 Like

its possible but I’d have to think about how to do it. the original icarus engine has the synths “always on” so that the feedback never goes away…its much different than the model in mx.synths where the synths are freed once they are turned off.

2 Likes

I love this script, thank you!! should midi map settings be saved in presets? doesn’t seem to be working for me.

Thanks so much!! this and mx samples are two of my very favs…

1 Like

Hey! Been trying to integrate mx.synths into my sequencer and I’m getting some pretty noisy results, regardless of the synth model I’m using, how many notes are playing, or velocity settings on those notes.

If you have the opportunity to test this out, here’s the repo:

Load the script via colorwheel.lua (not _colorwheel.lua). Assumes you have mx.synths installed already, the line triggering notes from mx.synths is in algebra.lua, at 250. Press K2 to generate a random sequence (no grid required). Might be useful to hook up midi to something else to confirm notes are occurring (if you can’t hear anything).

Also, since integrating mx.synths, my startup values for colorwheel specific parameters aren’t respected. Is there something I can change to fix that?

1 Like

midi mapping should be saved on its own: control + clock | monome/docs

can you check to see if data/mx.synths/mx.synths.pmap was created? it could be that the . in mx.synths is messing things up…

oh yeah! I just fixed this - in mx.synths everything saves on change (and loads the recent change) but I made that off by default just now.

its because the mx_note_on wants amplitude and not velocity. so you should scale your vel by 127 instead of 2: colorwheel/algebra.lua at main · yams7457/colorwheel · GitHub

that changed worked for me. if you still run noise, try turning the volume down some more to give more headroom to the synths. and if you run into crackling try turning the release all the way down so that there are fewer synths running in parallell.

1 Like

batting a million. New update resolved the params stuff, velocity change helped a ton with noise. Still having some noise issues, though (cuz this script makes a million notes). Is there a modification I could make to the engine to force a hard-limit to the polyphony and start voice-stealing? The density of notes called for by the script is likely to change dramatically over the course of a performance (it’s not something I’ll be ‘dialing in’).

2 Likes