mx.synths

it is possible to make this modification in the engine. I can add this if you need - but just want ask first if this is something you’d rather control at your script level? for the engine implementation I would take the easiest route which would give priority to newer notes and turn off older ones when some polyphony limit is reached (parameter set). I could imagine though that doesn’t fit every musical scenario (maybe you want the bass note to always be there for example)…so I’m wondering if you have a specific musical thought it might be better to do your in your script. if not I’m totally game to add this to mx.synths.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the implementation I was hoping for, actually!

The element of control on my end will be the option to turn off either audio or midi notes per track, bringing in flexibility by pairing Norns with an external voice (or two).

2 Likes

v0.3.0 - more synths

• new synth: kalimba!
  • new synth: another piano!
  • ux: added option to set the maximum polyphony (if max polyphony is reached, the oldest note will be turned off) (@yams lmk if you run into :bug:)

mdapiano: simply based off the SuperCollider MdaPiano. mods:

1. stereoness
  2. vibrato rate
  3. vibrato depth
  4. detuning

kalimba:based off the p.dupuiskalimba, which is a fork from @nathan’s kalimba… mods:

1. stereoness
  2. vibrato rate
  3. vibrato depth
  4. click mix
25 Likes

v0.4.0 - internal chord sequencer and arpeggiator

• bug fix: check for nil notes (thank you @alanza )
  • new feature: pitch bend! (thank you @sixolet )
  • new feature: arpeggiator (PARAMS > ARP) (thank you @Riot )
  • new feature: chord sequencer (PARAMS > CHORDS)

the chord sequencer and the arpeggiator can be used simultaneously - so that you can send chords to the arpeggiator. no keys required :slight_smile: for example:

32 Likes

Sweet! Gotta check it out asap

1 Like

Super excited for this levelling up of my ability to pretend I can make actual music :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m getting some pitch weirdness when I hit start/stop on the chords. Anyone else having this behavior?

A sample:

1 Like

lol what is that! I’m not totally sure what is happening there…it sounds like portamento. are you in “monophonic” mode perhaps?

1 Like

huehue thanks that helped :slight_smile: somehow I had it set to monophonic by default

1 Like

It’s failing to load for me since updating it - any idea why?

script load: /home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/mx.synths.lua

cleanup

script clear

including /home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/arp.lua

SCRIPT ERROR: load fail

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/arp.lua:4: module ‘sequins’ not found:

no field package.preload[‘sequins’]

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/core/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/core/params/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/lib/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/norns/lua/softcut/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/home/we/dust/code/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘/usr/share/lua/5.3/sequins.lua’

no file ‘/usr/share/lua/5.3/sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘./sequins.lua’

no file ‘./sequins/init.lua’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/sequins.so’

no file ‘/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lua/5.3/sequins.so’

no file ‘/usr/lib/lua/5.3/sequins.so’

no file ‘/usr/local/lib/lua/5.3/loadall.so’

no file ‘./sequins.so’

stack traceback:

/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:143: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:143>

[C]: in function ‘require’

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/lib/arp.lua:4: in main chunk

[C]: in function ‘dofile’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/startup.lua:43: in function ‘include’

/home/we/dust/code/mx.synths/mx.synths.lua:16: in main chunk

[C]: in function ‘dofile’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:186: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:186>

[C]: in function ‘xpcall’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/norns.lua:144: in field ‘try’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/script.lua:186: in function ‘core/script.load’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu/preview.lua:23: in function ‘core/menu/preview.key’

/home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:140: in function </home/we/norns/lua/core/menu.lua:117>

script clear

clock: ignoring resumption of canceled clock (no coroutine)

1 Like

is your norns running norns: update 210927? the sequins library was introduced during this update.

4 Likes

Is there a Fates Update for that yet? Encountered the same problem, but using a Fates instead of Norns.

2 Likes

Haven’t troubleshot yet but I’m managing to get it to crash the audio completely (no sound on any script till a restart) on the last 2 new piano instruments

1 Like

Yes, you can run update from the menu and it will work.

Or at least it did for me.

1 Like

v0.5.0 - two more synths!

17 Likes

Very cool - thanks!! Quick question - what is the easiest/quickest way to update mx.synths? Would I just press the “update” button in the “installed” tab in Maiden? I don’t want to have to re-download all of the instruments I have already installed if I don’t have to.

1 Like

MX Samples is the one with all the instruments, MX Synths is not a large package, update thru Maiden is the easiest.

3 Likes

Oh sick! Can’t wait to update.

1 Like

Yes, of course! Sorry for the brain cramp - thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Really enjoying these. As well as all the different synths, what I like the most is the amount of lfo modulation you have for all the parameters in the menu. The arp and chords also are very musical.

I have a couple of requests - would it be possible to use the grid instead of a usb keyboard to play? Would love to output midi for those arp and chord sections.

2 Likes