Naming things is hard

Dear llllllll, can you help me name my project?

I’ve developed a quick and simple directory web site to cover all things synth/music. It’s basically an old school directory site with some filtering and simple search. So far it’s been useful to me, and I hope it will be useful to other people too.

It’s all but ready to go live, but it needs a name.

Can anyone help?

2 Likes

Apparently, synth.directory domain is available

Edit: sorry, looks like it’s taken… don’t know why it showed up as available

5 Likes

Bob is a great name.

Also:

1. Soundbook
  2. Zounds
  3. Archie Harrison Mountbaten-Windsor
  4. Ground Control
  5. Gruffwoggler
  6. OSDS (for old-school directory site)
  7. The Gargle
  8. Betty (for Better than Yahoo)
  9. Also Bob
7 Likes

Snythdr

I’m saying that “snith-derr” and I feel like I get to choose how people say it because it’s my word

I’m just kidding - say it however you want to… just say it - lots - and click to: SNYTHDR.COM on your interwebs browsifier NOW!

(I’ve been sat in front of this computer too long today - sorry)

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thanks for the suggestions.

I too have been sitting in front of a computer too long today and am very tempted by SNYTHDR.COM or bobs-gruff-woggler-SNYTHDR.COM

I think @donrock got it right first time though. synth.directory it is. Or at least will be. I have to finish it off and get it up soon.

Thanks don!

5 Likes

@donrock It was me who took it :slight_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

Wow, that was fast! Good luck with the site!

1 Like

Mind if we just call it “Bob” to keep it clear?

(also, good luck!)

3 Likes

Bob is how it’s pronounced, it just has weird spelling :wink:

7 Likes

I believe IG and twitter names are also free, if you’re gonna go that route

2 Likes

Can i use one of these names for mine?
My website doesn’t have a name, i think it would be cool to have one…

2 Likes

Good idea - although the instagram sign up crashed on me halfway through, so it’s @SynthDirectory on Twitter and @SynthDir on Instagram

Suuuuuure! I am pleased to offer pro bono naming services until such a time as I figure out I can make a bajillion dollars doing this for pharma companies at which point I’ll still probably do it for free.

3 Likes

My goto is google translate…try putting a literal description of what you built in there and translate it to Latin or Greek or whatever language appeals to you. Magic happens.

4 Likes

So my website allows users to make single cycle waveforms and wavetables, i might be using either Soundbook or Ground Control

soundbook.space it is…

1 Like

And when you get it up, let me know and I’ll add it to the Synth.Directory

1 Like

Nice! I will add you back!

BTW: ( https://bgc.github.io/waveformgenerator/ ) <- Current URL, check it out

1 Like

This is a very cool start! I wonder how much work it would be to create a reverse lookup to something like the adventure kid waveforms.

For anybody who wants to learn more about companies that make money naming things, this podcast episode was a good listen http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/04/10/how_companies_name_their_products_and_brands_99_invisible_by_roman_mars.html

2 Likes

Ha!

@walker agrees, “mimeo and phon being greek roots for repeat and sound.”

Makenoise, please forward my consulting fee to my number…which you haaaaave.

2 Likes