Need a looper: Replace Digitakt with ______?

I think the Octatrack ticks all those boxes, no? This video may help…

1 Like

I ended up buying a Zoia. It’ll be here next week. :grin:

3 Likes

I re-created Norns MLR using AUM and Enso and a MIDI Twister Fighter. I have an external input channel that feeds 4 mix busses. Each of those bus channels has an instance of Enso. Using the MFT, I can map it to trigger (stop/start recording or overdub), toggle the speed in set increments, toggle the direction and move the A sector start and length for each of the 4 tracks all on one MFT page. You can put FX anywhere in the path, but I send those mix busses to a final mix bus with FX and a limiter to stereo out for recording. I have gotten some great results. Super flexible and fun.

15 Likes

Here’s an example of Enso/AUM/MLR described above:

2 Likes

I think you made a great choice. Zoia is the funnest thing I’ve used in years, and my favorite of all the open-ended sandbox music devices that have come out. I’ve made insane asynchronous multi-looper setups in minutes and that’s just scratching the surface.

1 Like

This is a super-interesting thread for me, because I’ve been building a looper all winter. Really it’s been taking way too long to get done. It started out as a looper & is turning into a sampler. It’s been taking forever, but it’s starting to work now … it’s got 9 individual loop slots with overdub & undo, a wireless pedal so I can stomp on any 3 of those at a time, and the rest of it lives in an old TI calculator. Plus time-tweaking, plus at least 3 different sync/async configurations, plus sending sync to my pocket operators.

Before I fell down this particular rabbit hole I tried out a bunch of loopers. I thought I’d found them all, but this thread is great for all these other esoteric looper/samplers that I’d never heard of before … thanks! Alas I’m limited in needing it to be battery powered (like most loopers aren’t) and tactile (like iOS/android apps aren’t). The Zola looks amazing tho.

I so so want to be done with this project – I can think of so many more f’ing features to add, but when the sun’s out I ought to be busking, not coding.

Well, you can’t just say all that and not give more details! How are you building it? Pics? Purely hardware or interfacing with computer?

It’s built on the Bela platform. At the mo it lives in a shitty cardboard box, but I have laser-cut case gaskets arriving in the mail so it’ll finally fit in its’ new home. I’ll take pics of that!

What are you using as your external input channel? And is this on a laptop or iOS? I am so curious!

I think I misrepresented when I said external input. Using my current config on iOS, I can only do either external audio (via Scarlett 2i2) or external MIDI (in this case the Fighter Twister), but I can’t do both. So, in my example, I am using an AUv3 plugin (Aparillo) as the audio source in AUM. If you had an interface with both audio and MIDI, you could do the same set up but using external audio (synth, guitar, mic, etc) and the Fighter Twister. Thanks Bob

1 Like

Would this fit the bill?

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iconnectaudio4plus

I’ve used one of those for a long time and love it.

1 Like

Indeed in 20 characters!

1 Like

20 characters of coooool.

do you guys think digitakt /1010 blackbox / op1 / octatrack are comparable? are there sono feature comparison posts or videos?
pro / cons of each? meaningful experiences

The OT seems to come up pretty often here. I for myself have owened one for a bit of time and have tried to use it as a multi-track looper. My experience is: it’s the horror!
Pickup machines are still buggy and there’s some questionable design choices making them hard to use in certain situations. You can use flex machines in a similar way to a looper, and even overdub, but it’s a bit more complicated. In general I would not recommend the OT if you want it to work like a multitrack looper except if you don’t need overdubbing.

I don’t know how much sense it makes to compare these. The only meaningul comparison is if you are after a very specific feature set, but even then, some of those instruments are so different that really makes little sense to compare them.

OP1 and Octatrack are, like, polar opposites. Both are beautiful devices weighed down somewhat by their idiosyncratic interfaces: OT is like a piece of industrial automation software from 1999, OP1 is like an iPad app. OT is great if you like excrutiatingly building the framework of a machine and then reusing it a bunch in new contexts. OP1 is best for noodling and cut-up technique work IMHO.

In the end I sold both devices. OP1 doesn’t play well with others (awful MIDI implementation, bad audio output) and OT is too slow a workflow (and it’s not as portable). I have been much happier with the ER-301 in a tiny pod for my loop/sample/mixing needs.

This patch for the organelle is a lot of fun: https://patchstorage.com/picostudio/

More info here: https://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/new-patch-picostudio/4336

3 Likes

Please consider taking this discussion to Hardware loopers if it gets more general.

i went down this rabbit hole about 2 years ago… ended up building in pd/organelle:

4 Likes