*nested* + less concepts: album + cellular automata sequencer (norns, Mac)

Hey this is cool stuff, thanks!

Also, playing around with this version (and maybe to return the discussion to your lovely album), I’m pretty struck with how drastic an artistic choice of sequencing this was for the album! “Take away my hands” indeed.

I’d love to hear a little more about how you arrived at choosing to give up the “note-making” aspect of recording and what kinds of creative tuning you found as a result. I suspect this touches on some pretty personal stuff, though, so please don’t feel pressured to get too far into it.

1 Like

Well I hope I didn’t start some trouble… still would love to hear results… one other thing that may be important is to make sure the envelope detector and vca are either both lin or both log… With Serge they are both log… mixing Lin/log might yield less than smooth behavior… or maybe not!

2 Likes

If you go this route i’m curious to hear your results, I’ve had my eye on this for a bit, since i’m also a wee bit obsessed with sine waves/filters as oscillators.

There was a few threads on MW about temperature-compensated filters; off the top of my head: SynthTech E-440, Jornalogue Filter 8, XAOC Belgrad, NorthCoast Leapfrog VCF. All might be bigger than the Doepfer, although there’s smaller filters that will do the job over 4ish octaves. For “nice” sine waves I like the E350

1 Like

Thanks, you should be a teacher! I’ve got my assignment for the next few sessions!

Too many learning curves at the same time! My years of MS-20 ownership did not prepare me for all the complexities I’ve got staring back at me from my rack!

I’ll report back when I have some results…

4 Likes

I have and love this album but did not know that although now I know I’m not surprised

0 Likes

This is wonderful stuff! Do you know what kind of lfos and filters are used?

0 Likes

peeked into this yesterday – seems like Serge + Arp modular (I’m assuming 2500)!

0 Likes

Thanks. I googled him, and found this article…

https://www.soundohm.com/product/pressure-loss/pid/25719/

2 Likes

As Dan said, yes, that album is Serge/Arp.

Check this out and you’ll see a short interview with him, looks like he uses euro filters too.

2 Likes

Not sure I’m on track but my machine is making sounds like a seizure, so that’s progress of some kind!

I’m unclear what I’m doing with optomix… tomorrow!

Thanks!

3 Likes

I’ve got a maths and can invert with ch 2/3

I’ve got an optimizers which can serve as a cvs/lpg

I’ve got a CM and can env follow as described

I’m using 3S as my voice

I’m not sure how to combine the inverted envelope with the input to 3S…

Or what kind of signal I should be sending into 3S in the first place , cv or audio?

More newb questions but some of this is sinking in…

Thanks again!

0 Likes

Just got a little package in the mail! Thanks for the nice note, @Dan_Derks, and congrats again :rocket:

3 Likes

Happily, @Olivier – thank you for ordering one :slight_smile:

hope everyone’s has arrived by now! please send a PM if you haven’t received yours

1 Like

to be blunt, I’ve just always struggled with worth. my family, like a lot of folks’, was damaging (/ damaged) and pretty toxic – it was hard to explore self while having to protect it from them. I found theatre + improv comedy to be a really good outlet, but there was a lot of stuff I was making up for as I pursued it. there’s a validation component early on, for sure, but as I continued I started struggling against being ____ enough. my energy during performances would ramp to keep poking at this thing that defined my sense of self, to ask more of it because I wasn’t putting in the work in other ways to discover it more healthily. through college and for a bit after, those moments outweighed the cost (not really my debt alone, but also what it asked of those around me) until it didn’t.

discovering lines and everyone who is a part of it was part of a turning toward myself again. toward being with my inner kiddo more and making a safe environment for him.

music is the only place where I’ve been able to best exercise balance. “giv[ing] up ‘note-making’” was necessary, because of how willingly I tried to fill notes with self-meaning.

the Georg Kühlewind quote in the GitHub notes pretty much sums it up:
Because man does not experience the Seeker, the Thinker, the Experiencer in his presentness, he needs property, success, self-assertion -- confirmation that he is. Instead of experiencing himself as a thinker, which is certainly possible, he seeks to convince himself of his existence from the outside, and that brings him to the habit of self-feeling. But man can only feel himself because of something -- everything that serves him in this way, everything important and 'necessary,' everything he clings to. Finally other men begin to serve the same purpose for him, and this determines his relationship to them. Position, power, money, and recognition form his world, on which he is dependent, and in which he has continually to make an effort to prove himself, to be certain of his own existence.

anyway, hope that gives insight without too much weight. :slight_smile:

25 Likes

wow, thank you for such an answer :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

That sounds terrifyingly like someone I see on tv every night…

And I recognize that in myself as well of course…

Hard work becoming something approximating actually human…

0 Likes

And I have to say that I’m continually grateful for the quality and level of thought and kindness I find in lines as a community…

Who would have predicted that a grid of little illuminated buttons would generate such an amazing space!

6 Likes

Been thinking these things over. Tonight I stumbled upon something that seems to explore some of the same questions around the process and inner dialogue. It’s a generative album created with supercollider on the xkatedral label, called ‘A loss of self’. The supercollider code has been shared so that others can learn how it was made.

http://danielmkarlsson.github.io

5 Likes

Looking for recommendations on music made with SuperCollider

well in case it is useful, this full 2-pole SVF is what i’ve settled on as my favorite musical digital filter. its versatile, can be naively modulated at audio rate, can act as quadrature sine osc, is amenable to extra saturation stages, and is pretty simple.

this is a c struct with a PD wrapper, could easily translate to gen or (less trivially) to msp external. [maybe i should say, non-trivial only because the toolchain is a PITA.)

[ https://github.com/catfact/audio-externals/blob/master/svf/svf.h ]
[ https://github.com/catfact/audio-externals/blob/master/svf/svf.c ]

(detail: implementation is based pretty directly on andy simper’s nodal analysis model using trapezoidal integration, based in turn on hal chamberlin’s original circuit. highly recommended reading here (complementary to “art of VA filter design”): [https://cytomic.com/index.php?q=technical-papers])

(oh yea: this includes a tan(w/2) in the gain coeff calculation, which linearizes amplitude over frequency sweep [iirc…]. it can be omitted for speed without adverse affects over much of the frequency range.)

9 Likes

this looks like exactly what I’m looking for @zebra, thank u :pray:. more euro research has pretty much proved that what I’m looking for will not fit in a small/cheap case, so I think I’m back to max and midi knobs for now. @alanza if you aren’t planning on porting this to gen~ in the near future I probably will (might need some help though).

2 Likes