*nested* + less concepts: album + cellular automata sequencer (norns, Mac)

trapezoidal integration – isn’t this the same as the bilinear transform? In any event this (BT) should give the best result.

[in general this works well only for a single SVF or “second-order-section” – the BT will distort frequency relationships for analog filters with multiple resonant peaks… but everything looks good here.]

in the LTI case, yes it is. and yea keeping it 2nd order makes it simple.

Enjoying this now - thanks.

Perhaps some filter fm or distortion in there too… all sounds nicely decayed. Could be some distortion in the delay feedback loop perhaps…

Hey, thanks again for these links! With only self-taught knowledge of electronics, his notation is somewhat hard to follow (two adjacent lowercase letters to denote one variable, for example, goes against some very deep habits for me xD), but useful to muddle through.

I’ve been somewhat surprised to learn that “slap a tanh on it in the correct spot” is (was?) approximately state-of-the-nonlinear-art :joy:

update! title change! new album!

when I was in SF last month, I got to spend some time with an STS Serge Animal at the Vintage Synth Museum. the first night was pretty much just noodling around, trying to translate my experiences from eurorack. the second night, Lance (VSM’s owner) helped me set up a Kilpatrick PHENOL to run MIDI-to-CV conversion from ‘less concepts’ (app) to the Serge panels and after resolving some grounding issues, things clicked in a super unexpected way. I ended up recording six improvisations in that session, which I post-processed through the same karma~ m4l device I used on ‘less concepts’ (album). though these pieces aren’t deep demonstrations of patch programming (I found a patch that clicked and pretty much kept it throughout the night), there’s definitely a “be less friggin’ precious” kinship between these tracks and the ones I released in October. plus, it’s fun to have a concrete demo of the app!

here’s a video of the first track getting made:

pre-orders open, releases 1/13/2019. the album art Racquel made for this one is doooooooope:

big ups to @taylor12k for mastering. I’m excited to explore some specifics with him in an upcoming episode of Sound + Process, but it needs to be said that he is a deeply thoughtful engineer and artist. I greatly appreciate his touch on this. :revolving_hearts:

Looking forward to this. @taylor12k did wonders with the masters of my latest album. Can’t recommend him enough.

first track sounds fantastic dan! excited to hear the rest!

yayyy! also that Animal sounds amazing. this + Make Noise’s recent video using one kind of have me in awe from a purely sonic standpoint, not having been really familiar with Serge much before - are you able to describe your patch at all? that organic robot kinda sound that comes in around 1:00 is what really gets me.

idk if this helps, but:

the outside-left area is v/8 and gates from less concepts.

that’s the filter (VCFQ) doing its magic with oops-i-patched-two-outputs-to-an-input. the NTO is sending its variable wave into the VCFQ. the VCFQ is also getting the PCO’s triangle (sorta hard to tell in the rat’s nest). the Q on the VCFQ is being modulated by the PCO’s sine. the PCO is in ‘hi’ audio-rate mode.

I’ve tried replicating this with a R*S VCFQ in euro, but It’s hard to nail down – according to 73-75’s site, audio and control voltages in a Serge system are kept at the same level, which allows the voltage-controlled patch-points to perform wonderfully with audio-rate as well as CV.

This manual from 1976 seems to be the source of some of the info + diagrams on the 73-75 site. The STS design may be a little different though, but maybe this will help:

I’m a bit late to the party, but this is a lovely album. Some really nice textures going on here.

Holy derks, that track made me smile! Sounds absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to check out the rest of it when it drops.

this gestural keyboard stuff is something good

Ordered!
The Less Concepts app is a lot of fun! This reminded me to have a play with it last night and it ended up being fun (and productive).
If anyone doesn’t have a teletype i highly recommend it.

If you’re impatient for “nested”, try summing less concepts to mono and giving it a listen: you get a bassier, more introspective take on the same motifs.

which is to say, I’m loving it on cassette :wink:

haven’t looked on the thread in a few days and holy moly, what sweet messages. thank you, all. I’m stoked to share all the new things and humbled by y’alls kindnesses.

…making the album at home as soon as I finish some cleanup on less concepts for norns! loaded Passersby from @markeats into it for testing tonight and oh boy that engine is incredible :kissing:

Wow, this looks (and sounds) great! Can’t wait to try it! Also looking forward to the new album. :slightly_smiling_face:

if anyone’s up for some testing:

quick start (try with internal engine first. it’s Passersby from @markeats and it sounds incredible.)

• load the script w/ or w/o grid
  • choose a scale with enc 1
  • use encoders 2 + 3 to choose seed: 36 and rule: 30
  • on grid, press random bit 1 and random bit 2 OR use enc 2 + 3 to choose bits [if a bit = 0, no audible note event will occur for that voice]
  • use key 3 to move down the onscreen menu (not necessary for grid interaction, but try it out!)
  • on grid, press random low and random high OR use enc 2 + 3 to choose low and high bounds for note pool
  • use key 3 to move down the onscreen menu (not necessary for grid interaction, but try it out!)
  • on grid, press random oct 1 and random oct 2 OR use enc 2 + 3 to choose octaves for each voice/note stream, -3 to 3
  • hold key 1 until the sequencer starts
  • play around!

the ‘snapshot’ feature is grid-only (for now) and is a way to capture a config you like, up to 8 of 'em. once a snapshot populates, just press it on the grid to jump to it / between 'em. less concepts is at its core a tool for improvisation, so once you have 8 you need to clear them all to get any more. and they don’t persist between loads.

MIDI channels are assignable for voice 1 and voice 2, in the params. you can also transpose + change tempo there to fine tune for different MIDI devices.

for folks who are currently using CVpal with norns: I’ve included a special hacked-together MIDI clock that should be useful. try this config in the params:

• midi ch vox 1: 3
  • midi ch vox 2: 3
  • hack_clock (CVpal): 4

you can then use OUT 1 + GATE 1 on CVpal to send notes from both bit streams to a single v/8 and GATE 2 will kick out a steady clock signal for syncing anything else in your skiff. OUT 2 is just spitting out MIDI note 0.

lmk if you have any questions and plz share any experiences!

really great work dan! been jamming for the last hour.
safe to say that less concepts has played a huge part in most of my recent music making activities

it would be awesome it the clear snapshot button only effected the current (or selected) snapshots