*nested* + less concepts: album + cellular automata sequencer (norns, Mac)

Really really enjoying both these albums. Thanks for sharing them :slight_smile:

1 Like

internal engine- looove what can be coaxed out of passersby.

0 Likes

@Dan_Derks I’m so in love with the Less concepts script, I really loved @markeats’ Passersby engine but the two things combined are making my head explode. I believe I could manage a whole live situation just with that (Norns, my grid, my nanokontrol2). It’s awesome. Thank you!

4 Likes

heck yes. I’m so glad to hear this – please share any explorations! there are a lot of avenues to explore when the sequences are chained together and manipulated by an attending person :slight_smile:

I’m hoping that norns 2.0 will open additional doors to streamlining performance approaches.

3 Likes

meant to post this little thing I did with less concepts on norns - definitely exploited it here to shape it into a “song”. (apologies for the punny title)

6 Likes

@speakerdamage You could call it “Andare”, “Dormire” or some other Italian verb in the infinitive form, if you get the reference :smiley:

2 Likes

@speakerdamage, love the way the textures support the swirling patterns, especially on the back half. thank you for sharing!

also daaaaaang @markeats, what a gorgeous engine. thank you for developing such a flexible and playable instrument.

2 Likes

Ok, since you asked I’ve uploaded a little ditty I made yesterday to show a friend what this was capable of. It’s not really ready for prime time, I shot it with one hand and the effects are really prominent, but I’m sharing it nevertheless. :smiley:

6 Likes

awesome to hear these! :smiley:

3 Likes

wonderful! love how you really dig into Passersby's timbral range while the sequence repeats. very very cool, thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

@mlogger can you explain this setup a bit more? is the Sevilla Soft dongle only necessary if you’re using both ansible and norns? i’m norns-less, but i just got an ansible and was thinking about how its poly midi mode and the less concepts mac app could be great friends.

0 Likes

Yes, because both are usb hosts, and you are supposed to connect an usb device to an usb host. The Sevilla Soft usb-usb bridge overrides that.

1 Like

They are. I have also successfully used the less concepts mac app via the Sevilla Soft to Ansible and controlled my Serge / Buchla synth (no Norns)

2 Likes

thanks or this, it’s really nice :). however I get crashes when i raise the vol. reverbs are off. any ideas?

0 Likes

@swhic, assuming this is on norns? which software version? it was updated for 2.0 and pushed into the we repo, but know that mark pushed some passersby updates in the last few days. happy to take a look with more info!

0 Likes

@Dan_Derks thanks! norns last 1 version. haven’t updated to 2 Beta yet…I think it’s the passersby.

0 Likes

@Dan_Derks small bug I noticed on norns 2 with less concepts yesterday. If you are in the middle row on the screen (high/low values), encoders 2 and 3 can scroll past the min and max boundaries causing an error in maiden repl and some freakout of grid lights (but everything seems to function and sound normally).

0 Likes

This is the update procedure for norns 2.0 beta:

1 Like

Jep. Thanks. I somehow didn‘t see it. It’s there. Haha. I really feel stupid now! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

It’s all new for us all, no need to feel stupid!

3 Likes