New and the same (grid now available for pre-order)

new and the same

• completely reworked
  • clear white light
  • usb c
  • $550

we’ve redesigned the grid, again. but this time almost everything is new, even though we added nothing.

the redesigned keypad is produced by a massachusetts keyboard company. the size is the same, the feel is slightly snappier yet easier to press. the detection mechanics are improved. the aluminum enclosure has been optimized both to use less material and machine time. overall the grid is slightly thinner and certainly lighter. the circuit uses fewer components and consumes less power. the light is clear and neutral. usb c means easy connection without orientation and also is more sturdy.

these improvements have allowed us to radically drop the price while still producing in small batches using trusted local suppliers.

we haven’t added features and the protocol is the same. this new grid simply continues the expanding journey.

pre-orders now live:

we expect to ship roughly 150 units in early june. further orders will have estimates provided.

thank you for your continued support.

ps. monome is 15. more on that soon.

218 Likes

Oh shit. Have you tested by any chance how the clear white lights respond in more well lit environnement (ie. outside in a cloudy/sunny day?) because it would be such a game changer.

This is magnificent improvements by the way (usb c is so much more enjoyable to plug and sits so much better).

4 Likes

$550? Absolutely incredible work!

5 Likes

Happy 15th! :partying_face:

10 Likes

Just to make sure: May 18th perhaps?

2 Likes

fixed, thank you! fast-typing hands don’t know the month i guess.

2 Likes

so so so excited to share these with y’all!

just a quick confirmation, since it’s come up in support emails – the USB-C is on the grid only + doesn’t change pairing with ansible or any of the companions you’re currently using :slight_smile:

we’ll be including a USB-C-to-A cable for connection :electric_plug:

28 Likes

Feels like it’s still March (2020).

9 Likes

Nice! Looking forward to the usb-c :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

My goodness! The return of the white light is a big deal for me! I jumped in during the grayscale moment many years ago. The white light was sorely missed when I passed on the device to a lucky user. I am trying to keep my hands away from my wallet, but am thrilled to see this next step!

Congratulations!!!

4 Likes

grayscale 2.0. nice.

5 Likes

still have my greyscale64 1.0, was the brightest and most snappy feeling buttons ever, can’t imagine how awesome these latest ones are(with usb-c and even better responsiveness, plus newer thinner case), so tempted… but still, i’ll hold off for the 256 edition someday :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Congrats on 15 years of full-spectrum innovation!! :raised_hands:

12 Likes

Looks amazing, I miss having one all the time! Congrats on 15 :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: you have released some incredible tools out in the world that have inspired us, and resulted in so much music…and will continue to do so for a very very long time!

so how about a isms v2 in celebration :kissing_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

happy 15 dudes! sending west coast love!

2 Likes

unfortunately sunlight is the enemy of LEDs. short of blasting a huge amount of current, it hasn’t improved much. in fact, i think color differentiation (such as the orange of the original series) helped in a sunlight setting… because sunlight tends to illuminate the pads themselves with white light.

but fear not, we’re about to release the 15th anniversary monome umbrella

64 Likes

I used to tour with a 128 (from kit, remember ?) and an umbrella. Good memories !

5 Likes

Happy 15th! You really revolutionized the music world with the whole open source grid thing. Thanks for that. I hope my bank account allows me to push the trigger tomorrow :wink:

1 Like

mlr is happening under here @instantjuggler

28 Likes

not sure sunlight was a problem that the umbrella was solving that day… looking forward to seeing how waterproof the new grids are!!! :heart:

7 Likes

I bought Norns a few months ago, crow last week and am very much hoping to buy a Grid tomorrow.
The price decrease is incredible and very welcome.
Well done! :clap:

5 Likes