New and the same (grid now available for pre-order)

Happy July!! Please excuse me while I refresh my inbox every 15mins hoping for a shipping notification :slight_smile:

1 Like

unfortunately, we’re still holding for boards, so likeliest ship date is 7/13 – if there’s possibility of earlier, we’ll update here though :slight_smile:

thank you for the support + patience as we navigate some weird times :squid:

19 Likes

You all are doing awesome and we appreciate you so much! Excited to get my July grid!

2 Likes

August can’t get here quick enough. Really nice excited to get the grid.

1 Like

I received my grid from the July batch, and as expected it is delightful! Clean looks, solid feel and build, buttons feel great and responsive. Many thanks to @tehn and @dan_derks and all!

One of my ideas for my new shiny grid was to build a PO-33 simulator, turns out there is already one of these made quite recently over at Thirtythree . So today I’m having a great time doing some code reading and exploration (thanks @infinitedigits!)

5 Likes

let me know if you have any questions about it :slight_smile: and don’t let my script stop you from making your own po-33 simulator on the grid! its a fun project to do.

if you want to tread some untreaden territory, I recently ported the po-32 microtonic engine to SuperCollider so it can be used on the norns. another fun project (which I don’t plan to do) would be to make a po-32 on the grid! although really there’s no end to cool projects you can make on the grid.

6 Likes

true… but i don’t think they need to change such a beautiful design just to suit that form of modularity

Modularity’s not the only argument for a half-width border. Minimalism’s another. Why have more border when you could have … less? :slight_smile:

no, i’m right and anyone who opposes me is wrong(even when their argument is reasonable and is not directly related to making a 256): so everyone should write in requesting they make a 256 version (the way brian mentioned above)
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(just kidding… to each their own (but 256 is still the best) :innocent: )

1 Like

talking about 256; is it possible (and fun) to use two grids with norns? i’m expecting my second grid tomorrow. got it for m4l.

yes, absolutely possible. and yes, definitely fun(but the measure of ‘fun’ is subjective depending on what you do… most simple interfaces/applications will be fun, but for something specific i want to try(i’m learning about ways to implement ‘visual convolution’ and want to apply that on the grid, one example is in the ‘reflective pool’ thingie i posted in a video above (norns doesn’t have the ‘map’ message of serialosc(which allows for a more efficient way of writing to all the leds of a grid quadrant at once), but there’re still ways to work it on a norns i think…), it’d be more fun for me to work on a 256 where i didn’t have to rework the math around addressing the two grids independently as though they’re one single 256(especially on norns where the ‘map’ message is non-existent and makes more advanced interface things more complicated as a result)… it’s a small difference but one that still slows me down when trying these other things… it’s also nice to not have to move around 2 grids when setting up for a performance, etc.)

but ya, multiple 128s are great, too… you’ll enjoy it for sure :+1:
(last word: a single 256 is still the best :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :speak_no_evil:) :innocent:

2 Likes

even more fun with two norns :crossed_swords:

@rajaTheResidentAlien I’m confused here … I was for sure that 64 was the best size, must be reading things wrong i dunno ; ) ; ) ; )

3 Likes

you are indeed confused 256-is-the-best i bid you goodday sir! :triumph: (:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

norns only uses map! it’s all behind the scenes, so don’t worry yourself about efficiency of the serial bus… but do keep an eye on led routine drawing rates (it’s easy to burn cpu cycles without attention)

2 Likes

oh snap!
(so good to know… ok then, will do :+1: )

I did that as soon as I read Brian’s comment.

4 Likes

20 characters of me 2(56)

3 Likes

au contraire. all grid.led messages in lua just set the state of a buffer. grid.refresh updates all dirty quads using the map command.

what we don’t support is any other messages. if your application updates one pixel/column at a time in a fast loop, norns is ineffecient. we could always (trivially) add, like, grid.led_raw() to support this. but for most script authors / use cases its better (we think) not to have to consider the underlying serial message structure.

1 Like

nah, no worries. glad to hear ‘map’ exists underneath it all :+1:
(did someone say something about 256 being the best size, tho… ok, then :innocent: )

1 Like

Will there be another batch soon? I was dumb and told myself I didn’t need it for the July/August runs…

1 Like

next batch soon! see market.monome.org for details.

6 Likes