New grid - LEDS stops working / SerialOSC-overload

So I just got my new Grid and I ran into something.
It seems like it can get overloaded with messages, which makes the leds stop responding.
Buttons still work.

It seems it happens MUCH easier with the /grid/led/level/set message rather than grid/led/set message.

I have included a video and a patch to demonstrate the problem.
I can not remember this happening so easy with any of my other grids (earlier models)

Any idea what’s going on here? The biggest problem is that I have to unplug and replug the device to get it to work again.

LEDDEMO.maxpat (20.7 KB)

Video: Video 30 07 2021, 12 23 15 - YouTube

Hope it is ok that I tag @tehn

Edit: Macbook pro M1, newest version of Serialosc (downloaded yesterday).

Hey! At the risk of jumping the gun, this behaviour has been observed recently in relation to control:

Hope that’s helpful! I’m not sure if @dan_derks has any other updates from that post :slight_smile: I thought I’d just share that now in case this was time-sensitive!

3 Likes

correct— there’s a firmware bug in the new grid that i’m working on now. this is the same case demonstrated by the control patch linked above: wickedly inefficient use of the serial bus, which max patching sortof encourages by its very nature. a quick fix ahead of the firmware fix is to use the hotpatch that @dan_derks made— it accepts /led/level messages and packs them into /led/map which is extremely more efficient.

(@dan_derks do you want to post the patch individually as a little howto?)

5 Likes

mornin’ y’all :slight_smile:
@Fardles , good eye! thanks for linking! :gem:

here’s the abstraction + the relevant JS file: led_array.zip

how to use it:

• the led_array patcher collects single LED messages into quad-segmented map messages, which draw 64 LEDs in fewer bytes than 64 single LED messages
  • the patcher also mimics the LED drawing approach that norns scripts adhere to:
    • each time an LED is updated, a grid_dirty flag for that quad is flipped to true
    • every 15ms, the grid_dirty flags are checked
      • if a quad’s flag is true, then that quad’s LEDs are redrawn
      • if a quad’s flag is false, that quad is untouched
  • the led_array patcher will output these messages as:
    /monome/grid/led/level/map X Y Z
    so if your patcher requires a different formatting, just use a [route] to strip the message down to the X Y Z and [prepend] your own formatting to the X Y Z, as demonstrated below

so here’s LEDDEMO re-formatted to use this approach: LEDDEMO.zip

i let it run for 5k iterations before the rapid flashing made me feel wiggly, but that ought to work, @KristofferLislegaard !

5 Likes

20 char of fantastic!

1 Like