New software looks like modernized ppooll/lloopp

Music SDP: http://musicsdp.com/

I haven’t had a chance to play around with this program, but I plan to give it a go when I have a little more time later this summer. It’s very new and in beta, I believe. It looks pretty neat and like a reimagining of the ppooll/lloopp modular environment.

Has Music SDP come across your radar? Have you tried it? Have you used ppooll/lloopp previously? What are your thoughts on Music SDP if you have tried it out?

I’m currently getting back into ppooll. Really like it. Has anyone used a grid with it I wonder?

1 Like

Is there a complete list of modules for music_sdp somewhere? Curious how weird it gets.

Would desperately love a complete ppooll overhaul for max7 with updated ui considerations.

I remember this, i first saw it posted on the Cycling74 forums, i never got time to contribute but wished him well as I thought it was a really great idea:

here’s the c74.com project page too:
https://cycling74.com/project/the-music-and-sound-design-platform/

Anyone here who’s savvy at Max/MSP should contribute, i bet it’s quite an undertaking for so few people as there have been on it(says me, who has no time to contribute yet :p).

1 Like

I’m using it in max 7 (there was a max 7 version created). Although the UI is exactly the same as before.

I have zero programming chops at this point in time, so I’m sorry to say I won’t be contributing beyond using it and suggesting features.

Like @analogue01, I’d like to see an updated UI to ppooll. Though once I get some time to sit down with Music SDP, I wonder if it’ll seem almost like a new version of ppooll.

I’m currently searching for a module list. From looking at their site, it seems like they’re being really responsive to their current (though small) user base.

Oh cool, didn’t realize they’d updated. Might have to dive back in.

Max7 version seems kinda buggy after a quick test :confused:

Edit: 32bit mode only gotit

Edit 2: still not working :confused:

I’m Doing 64 bit… Haven’t used it much in 7

1 Like

Non of the umenus work for me can’t even pull up a module

OOh yes, you’re right. 32 bit. I was thinking pages. I had the same problem. I was trying to run in 64 bit and had the same issue

1 Like

Hi guys, I was searching google for hits on my software (a bit of narcissism but also curiosity about community) and stumbled upon this thread. I’m the project leader so I’d be glad to answer any questions. It’s tough to catch everything with such a small team, and it seems so obvious upon thinking about it that yeah, we should have a list of all of the modules! Thanks for the idea.

Briefly, before that, Analogue01, I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re having! I haven’t had anyone tell me that’s been an issue yet but I’d be glad to troubleshoot that with you. I’m, well… the only one working on bug fixing, so curious issues like yours are really good for me to know about!

Anyway, here’s the module list (as of version 1.0.9):

File Tools:
Audio File Player: In-depth control audio-file playback
EZ Audio Player: Quick and simple control of up to 3 audio files
EZ MIDI Player: Load MIDI files and read them out to synthesizers
MIDI ARP: Robust arpeggiation tool for the synthesizers
MIDI Explorer: Load a MIDI file and manipulate it in a variety of ways
MIDI Recorder: Record MIDI data
Instruments:
A+2: Robust additive synthesis with two LFOs for FM and AM modulation
Add1t1v3: Robust additive w/o LFOs (easier on the CPU)
Chaos Synth: Create various chaotic sounds w/ stochastic tools
Drum Machine: Your standard, though robust, drum machine
S&H: A Sample-and-Hold synth, perfect for 8-bit emulation
Stochastic Grains: Wavetable granular synthesis based on a Cecelia 5 algorithm. Controlled granular chaos
Vocoder: A vocoder! Use the built-in wavetables or vocode with sound from any part of your signal chain.
Effects & Filters:
Chorus: needs no introduction
Comb: standard comb filter
Convolve: Basic convolution. Combine two sounds into one!
DegraderDrive: Degrade or Overdrive. Switch between either.
Delay: Delay your signal
Distortion: Triple-band distortion for more control
Echo: Ping-pong delay
Filter Shaper: Variety of filters, includes HP, LP, BP, etc…
Flanger: another classic
Gater: Gate your signals to give them some rhythmic excitement
GigaVerb: The classic open-source reverb algorithm
Moog Ladder Low Pass: From the Max Examples, a beautiful sounding low-pass
Panner: Pan your sound. Manually, or automatically
Pitch Shift: A simple, but really effective pitch-shift algorithm. Great for real-time manipulation
Pitch Shift 2: Max 7’s new pitch shift object. Sounds better, but includes delay because of a large window.
Resonant Filter: Filter w/ feedback
ReTuner: Max 7’s tune~ allows you to fix (or break) tuning in real-time
Reverb: Everyone’s favorite yaffr Max reverb in module form
RM_AM: Ring and Amplitude modulate any signal
Buffer Effects:
Buffer Board: Load up lots of buffers. Send them to your EZ File Player, or Looper
Crash Override: Creates “glitches” in your signal. A bit of controlled chaos for your live sounds
Crash & Burn: Same as Crash Override, but adds distortion to the glitches for a more aggressive sound.
File Granulator: Powerful Granular Synthesizer lets you completely control your audio files
Live Granulator: Granulate your live signals! Beautiful tool that adds texture and depth to voices, synthesizers, and instruments alike.
File Scratcher: Like scratching a record, but with an audio file. Lots of controls to get the scratch you want
Live Scratcher: Scratch a live signal. Works like the File Scratcher, but can be used on real-time events
Looper: Record something in real-time and loop it. Record again to create layered loops.
Looper 2: Like Looper, but beat-based. Set your tempo and it’ll count you in. Can continuously record
Tools:
Signal-In Control: Waveform display for a signal. Can split from Mono to Stereo. Good place to boost or attenuate an incoming signal
Compressor: The Max example, adapted for MSDP
Hub: Combine signals from up to four modules into a single output
Splitter: Split one output into four
Studio EQ: An intuitive five-part graphic equalizer. Make any sound pop!

We've got more modules on the way. We've already added seven since launch, along with a huge amount of other updates to the software. We've been attempting to strike a balance between basic tools and more advanced ideas. 

This isn't really trying to do the same thing as Ppooll, because our end goal is always the standalone. It's built in Max, but it's meant for everyone (except Linux users, c'mon Cycling 74!). We're trying to provide tools to users who can't afford expensive programs and/or don't want to learn to code, and want to explore live improvisation or electro-acoustic composition. Hence the move towards the modular GUI and an all-inclusive package. That's not to say it's useless for Max users, but there's a bunch of stuff that wouldn't be necessary if it's focus was on package development.

I'd love to answer any questions you all may have!

-Hugh
4 Likes

Hey! Sorry for the confusion. I was having problems with the ppooll max7 build. Haven’t tried music_dsp yet, but I will and something tells me it will be fine.

Also thanks for the module list!

Thanks for the idea! If you get the chance, let me know what you think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bumping this topic to ask if anyone has actively been using music_sdp and, if so, how’s it been?

1 Like

It was buggy for me when I first tried it out. Admittedly, I didn’t try too hard to troubleshoot. I decided to just wait for the software to mature. I think they’ve updated it a few times now, and it could be time for me to test it out again.

I’m also interested to hear if anyone has been consistently using it.

1 Like