New thing! (derail this thread? impossible!)

that’s it this thread has officially gotten

Can’t wait for T H E N E W T H I N G . . .

i mean, i sincerely thought it was pretty pimp that TE was hanging out in a car outside NAMM with their new things… but, damn, brian killed it even harder by hanging out at his house on the other side of the country during NAMM (presumably with his own new thing)???

Approaching: norns

Did I sense a bit of drool as you wrote the words, New thing!?

Hmm but that would require a new firmware? And ansible is controlled via Teletype?

There’s a lot of hours spent on getting to 2.3, not sure if support for parallel versions is ideal. Even supporting multiple versions of non-upgradeable hw is a drag.

monome don’t really make chimeras, they make unicorns.

i don’t advise waiting to buy a TT on that rationale.

if one of the TT firmware hackers can figure out how to get hub support into the AVR32 usb host stack, it would satisfy the use case you mention, and be enormously useful for other devices using libavr32. (it’s not an easy task and has foiled a number of smart people. the gauntlet is thrown!)

btw, adding another physical USB port isn’t the answer and won’t “just work.” (alas)

an i2c expander module that just forwards grid I/O might be a DIYable solution.

maybe… but i think not

6a00d83452033569e200e54f445e7d8833-800wi

As I’ve pointed out afterwards, this thing has the same potentiometer and switch layout as Just Friends. It also has the same board shape and dimensions. My guess is that it’s just a board revision which only introduces slight hardware changes. A false trail!

This was the Elektroplankton page where you could replay your voice recording via these little fellers. Each of the aliens/plankton used a different bitrate or kind of aliasing (I think?) to produce a different effect.

I stand by my guess that one of the New Things is some sort of sample to synthesis, cellular automata whatnot. Record a sound and then ‘breed’ variations of a synthesised version of the recording. Using a Teletype Gene op. Maybe.

off topic, but I had the chance to see Toshio Iwai give a fantastic lecture at UCLA last week and its now online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cI6GlyKqk

Is there a summary of prior efforts & roadblocks somewhere? Not volunteering (yet) but curious…

Oh, cool. Thanks so much for this. I hadn’t heard about it.

derailing an ever-wackier thread (what is with that title!)

you might start on this also-messy aleph thread from back when:
[ https://github.com/monome/aleph/issues/67 ]

here’s the real nitty gritty:
[ https://github.com/monome/libavr32/blob/master/asf/avr32/drivers/usbb/usbb_host.c#L1463 ]

(see all the intsances of USB_HOST_HUB_SUPPORT in that file… most of the checks throw #error but some have partial functionality)

It is quite common for people to reuse an existing platform when prototyping, Olivier Gillet said he does that for Mutable modules for example…

i would be so thrilled if toshio had a New Thing of his own this year!??! (haven’t watched the video yet in case he mentions something in there)

hate to disappoint you, but he has abandoned media art and for the last ten years has refocused his energy on making children’s books. no New Thing that runs on electricity is likely.

…aaaaand he’s tweeting tonight about the problem with making demo videos when the music that comes out is so beautiful or something to that effect and we’re all screwed.

Tom Erbe has been seen around with what looked like a Morphagene with “something else” inside…