New to eurorack: ask questions here

Oh, I did miss that! Yeah, you’re probably doing ok, then, with this as an end goal. No problem with buying and selling if you can afford it, but it can also be useful to get a module and really learn it inside out before moving onto the next one. That way you can really hone in on creating a concise system that you can get the most out of.

Yeah, 100% that. Take your time, build things slowly and learn what you really want/need for your music and not just what you think you need.

I’ll second that. Buy enough to experiment for a bit, and then buy more. You’ll learn a lot very quickly. My early “theoretical” racks were very different than ones based on my actual experience so far.

Yeah, I’m probably dropping the Mangrove to free space for other modules I see I need as I start building the skiff, but I wanted to use it together with the STO through 3S in the future…

The thing with Opto is that I would use it to carry mixing duties too (sending the two oscillators to the 3S, for example) and freeing Maths for more complex duties. Is it not viable as a mixer/Lpg depending to when needed?

JF will stay in my wishlist, that’s for sure, @quixot, thank you guys :sunflower:

Sure it certainly can be, but so is Tangle Quartet (the mix out only includes channels you haven’t otherwise connected). So you can have 2 channels of CV attenuating/modulation and 2 channels of audio, or whatever combo you want! I hear Optomix is very good, but you certainly have choices! You just need to suss out which modules make sense with what you want to accomplish in the space you have available. :relaxed:

I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think W/ is gonna be your module for granulated sounds – it is based on tape machines, not Xenakis, after all

I found a tasty deal on this module and plan to report my findings after it arrives. It is a very mysterious module. I have read legends that one can run an entire mix through this module. I have read several other legends as well. For the most part, though, a heavy silence hangs over this module and its uses. Curious.

Mysterious? Why so? They publish the signal path and there isn’t anything particularly unusual in it.

Mysterious because such a heavy silence hangs over its use. It seems a very unpopular module. Perhaps it’s terrible. It’s certainly ominous and that makes me wary. Mostly, I’m just screwing around because it’s slow at work. :neutral_face:

Ooooo I think I was misusing the word ‘granulate’; seems it means something different than ‘slow stuff down hella much’, which is really all I meant. I love everything I’ve heard w/ do so far.

oh I see! yeah, that does seem like a great use for it

Would like to ask here for proper pitch to cv options or alternatives. I would very much dig to skip midi for the most part, my other main instrument to the little modular i am just building up, is a completely passive electric piano, the hohner pianet. Voltages are created through the vibrations per tongue/key. I would really love to keep that analog resolution and somehow integrate it in the above shown case wich is now real and not a sketch anymore.
I am thinking about my options, will first of all try the disting pitch to cv but dont have high hopes for that also since the pianet is very very harmonic rich wich makes any pitch tracking even harder.
I know about bpf ofc

Then theres sonicsmith convertor wich i think is the best so far but i am not so happy to spend another 250 on it and i dont dig the included synth voice.

I am thinking with its glitches pitch to cv is another digitalisation first before it goes to cv, so i probably would break the actual philosophical approach of keeping it in analogue resolution.

I would love real fast tracking to play synth on it but also simple transposing would be lovely.
Anyone know of options has ideas? Can the O_C help anyhow in that aim? Alternate usages besides obvious amplitube via env follower?

I’m pessimistic about this going well, to be perfectly honest. You would only be able to play one note at a time on the pianet, of course, since two notes would introduce (more) uncertainty into the pitch-tracking process—and not in an interesting way, almost surely. Using the disting would probably lose you the “analog resolution” of which you speak.

To keep it “analog”, you could maybe try using a phase-locked-loop (there’s a Doepfer module) to synchronize the frequency of the pianet to an oscillator… I think this would require running the pianet through some sort of amplifier to help the Euro stuff to notice it, and again it’s likely to be ridiculously fiddly in an uninteresting way (to me at least). Caveat, of course, being I haven’t used any PLL module.

The other thing is that, like, the pianet is fundamentally a quantized pitch source, so I don’t really understand what you hope to gain with “analog resolution”. If you mean being able to detune certain notes, or have the pitch alter with the envelope of the sound, that capability is probably easier using other methods.

I was going to suggest a Doepfer A-196 PLL too; on its own it produces squarewaves, but you can patch another VCO into it.

Or you can patch your own PLL using XOR logic, a slew limiter and a VCO.

Neither approach is likely to work well. At best it’ll track some notes if you play monophonically (and very clearly spaced with no overlap), within a limited range. It’s likely to slip to the wrong octave or lose track entirely. Sometimes that can sound good, but only with some material.

Yeah both of you are probably right tho a tested audio file sonicsmith converted for me sounded quite good. They have some audio controlled oscillator thing invented.

The main drawback (or otherwise its strength) is the pianet is the opposite of suited, neither in perfect pitch itself and very vibrating into neighbouring notes…
Ofc monophonic, but the whole case is, so that wouldn’t be an issue.

Pll is the same as moogs freqbox sync i suppose, that sounded crap with my experiments.

With analog resolution i simply meant the neither perfect pitch of the quirky pianet and the esoteric of creating the whole musical impulse by vibration not by bytes(midi)

If you’re paying your rent, GAS can just be a way of trying modules and learning. I can attest to the perils of expanding too quickly, but OTOH I now have direct experience with many modules and I think a better understanding of what I do and don’t want/need which I wouldn’t have gotten without going a bit crazy.

Many of the things I’m planning on selling first are GAS-objects: Clouds, 4ms SMR, DPO, etc. There’s a lesson there. But on the other hand, I needed to have the modules in my rack to understand what they do and to realize they’re not what I want. I will also sell the pair of Mother-32s that started this journey for me, but they were critical for me bridging from non-modular synthesis, and I don’t regret them at all.

Good thing with euro is the resell. Out of my original setuo (rings, maths, veils, Sto, batumi and Cvocd for midi to CV) I have maths and batumi left. And that’s not including the system1m that started it all off!!!

Hello,

I’m fairly new to modular and interested in building out a rig for mostly Ambient/Space Ambient tracks. My biggest influences include r Beny, Ann Annie, Lightbath, Emily Sprague, Stellardrone, and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Currently I have a ≈70% full 6U case that I am pretty happy with, but I am constantly stressing I will fill up before I’ve purchased all the ‘Right Gear’ for it. Since I’m still pretty new to this I’m looking for any advice or help on my current rig to help steer me in the right direction, and to prevent myself from buying gear I don’t need, or filling up my case but missing something vital.

Right now I suspect I am missing the following things:
— A voice for lower pitched elements (Drones and bass notes — Currently thinking maybe STO, Dixie II).
— A good Filter (Ripples, three sisters?)
— A source for random variations and deviations from established sequences, I’m finding it a bit hard to build a sense of progression with my current setup. One of my favorite things about modular is that a patch can take on a life of its own and start evolving, at the moment I don’t feel like my setup is doing this. (Maybe Branches, or Qu-bit Chance)?
— Additional effects to really push things into the realm of ambient. (Clouds, Instant Lo-Fi Junkie?)

Here is my current setup:

and to give a sense of the sound I’m going for, here is a patch I made with it the other night:
https://soundcloud.com/bryce-poole-48459061/stardust-work-in-progress

Am I heading in the right/wrong direction with the gear I am thinking of? Is there anything I’m missing? Thanks so much for any advice or help!

you’re doing fine, and I think you’re on the right track. One thing I would suggest is something more like a slow chaotic CV source, like a Nonlinear Circuits Sloth (the blogspot design is kind of … intense, sorry about that) as a source of the kind of random motion you’re thinking of.

Another possibility is using something like Frames or Cold Mac to add “one big knob” control of various aspects of the patch to act as a source of change.

My biggest thing I would like to say is you’re doing just fine and seem more than capable of learning and figuring out what you need

Awesome, thanks so much! I’ll check these out! I’ve heard good things about Sloths from a few people now, I think that needs to be high on my list. I’ll check out Frames and Cold Mac now, thanks again!