New to eurorack: ask questions here

I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask…

I picked up a couple of joysticks that work as voltage dividers, so I was going to wire them up because yay manual voltage control. My first thought was to use a USB power source since 1) they are readily available and 2) 5V is a nice euro-friendly voltage…

My question, though, is this… the bog standard iPhone power adapter puts out 5V at 1000 mA. The voltage isn’t a problem, but am I going to cook anything by throwing an amp of current at my modules? Do I need to protect against this somehow?

Most of the people you’re citing for inspiration have ModularGrids you can look at. You’re mostly on the right track.

As a note, none of them are big on utility modules. Something you may want to emulate or not.

You’ve got the double Rings going on, so you’re pretty set on plucked string sounds - though I would suggest replacing one with or adding a Plaits for some more variety of exciter sources. It also gives you what you’d get from a basic VCO. Though you might still want another! Depends on your goals!

You’ll want some kind of granular processor. Clouds or Morphagene probably; probably not Nebulae. There will probably be a Clouds successor announced within the next few months that’s 14hp. You may wanna wait for that depending on your budget and timeline.

Instant Lofi Junky has been critical to most of those artists’ sounds at some point or another. You can decide whether you want that wobble or not. :blush:

Re: variation: You’ve got TM, the quad VCA, and Stages, and Maths - you can build some pretty complex random sources with those as is. Chance would give you gates as well. Marbles would give you gates and more musical CV as well. Sloths are good to look at too as Alanza suggested.

As far as Filters: Three Sisters is incredibly useful and everyone on this forum will (rightly) suggest it. It’s secondary function of mixing is also quite helpful. There are a lot of filters out there though.

I have a noob question. So I’m trying to send clock in to my newly aquired ansible running meadowphysics. I’m sending a pulse out of ableton (with a lot of gain). Meadowphysics seems to be moving along just rather “robotically”. It seems to only trigger a new note when it reciives a pulse (16ths in this case) meaning it sounds nothing like meadowphysics when it’s not receiving clock, as in with variing gate lengths and clock division. Not sure if this is how clock makes things sound or if I’m doing something fundamentaly wrong. Hope I don’t sound too confusing.

Think of amps as the capacity of the power supply rather than a fixed figure it throws out all the time.
For example, your modular case power supply might have 1.2A or so on the +/-12v rails. This means it can supply power to a combination of modules that draw up to a total 1.2A. It only supplies the necessary current that is required for the modules you have installed at any one time.

Your iPhone adapter should be fine.

Clocks typically exist to be stable and metronomic so you’re not doing anything wrong! The behaviour you describe is exactly what would be expected.

I have no knowledge of how meadowphysics works but if you want to vary things a little bit look into clock swing. Vary things more - clock division/multiplication. Or consider a CV’able clock source and add a bit of modulation of its rate. There’s lots of ways to achieve clock variation depending on the modules you own.

Not to derail the initial question here, but I’d love any suggestions for analog monophonic pitch to cv modules, ideally to track non-synth sources. I adore the pitch to cv on the ms-20, but don’t own one and would love something that could produce similar tracking in 1v/oct / euro.

@madeofoak have u tried disting?

thank you for the response. i was afraid this was the case. i just thought that since ansible / meadowphysics is a sequencer with a bunch of clock / gate outs and variable note lengths etc. then i must be miss-understanding something. thought it would be relatively simple to make it be on beat / in sync with song tempo without sucking all the life out of it. anyone have tips on using syncing ansible / meadowphysics ?

Looks like a fun set up!

Re: random / variation i’ve had a lot of fun with my Varigate 8+ which would pair nicely with your voltage block (on my list, to maybe swap out my rene). You can set probabilities (per step) that notes will fire, for note selection, the probability of glide, repeat, delay etc and then you can change the probabilities on the fly.

I’ve got a XAOC Belgrad filter, which I love, but i’m thinking Three Sisters would be amazing.
I love using my Mangrove for the lower end (usually) too.

If I were you, I would also wait for the Clouds successor, to see what that’s going to be :slight_smile:

Your welcome… the topic is an always active for me too.
I just dont want any glitchy synth solos that sound like a worn vhs cartoon

Iam also interested in other usages if fast clean tracking is out of reach. Even transposing would be ace!
But as mentioned i think sonicsmiths ACO is the most modern and working converter for this.

Hey everyone i am about to finish my little diy 56 lunchbox
I ve a row power 30 and actually its flying bus board is a bit long aswell as power cables from some modules… so i need to fold a few ribbons a bit and tape with gaffa.

However my deepest module is the disting mk4 with 42mm. There is slight touch between it and a busboard cable (taped) also one module cells has a very long power cable and it touches the downside of the pcb…

With the sharp pins on most modules i dont think this is very secure is it?

I attach a pic so maybe you guys can tell me if this is fine or have some ideas.

Also there will be a little speaker module and i am worried about heat.

I did a power up test and all is fine for now, but how could i secure this more?

Here disting touching ribbon: no sharp edges so i suppose okay.

Here powercable touching rear of cells …probably not okay

And no the jumper isnt bent…just perspective doing her thing

Hmm. AFAIK Ansible is clocked by its own internal clock if nothing is patched to clock input (IN 1) - so I suspect your problem is that the signal that you’re feeding Ansible don’t work that well as a clock. I’ve had some similar experiences. Your best bet would be to get a module that can provide a master clock, and maybe some div/mult.

I use a plugin called Silent Way to create a clock signal in sync with my Ableton live set, and route it out with my ES-8. You can do that with any direct coupled interface (like the MOTU stuff). There’s also a plugin called CV toolkit with a bunch of similar features.

When speaking of ways to clock Ansible. I recently watched the 40 min Moogfest chat between @fourhexagons and @stripes (recommended!) - Emily mentions clocking Ansible with Just Friends, if I remember correctly. Haven’t tried that myself yet.

I ve another one.

Recomend most usefull passive modules out there. For me its a very relevant case. Besides obvious LPG and Ringmod…attenuator, whats really powerfull in the passive corner? Passive filters rather suck?

I only have a couple passive modules in my current setup. The DPLPG, a passive dual low pass gate in 2hp, and Please Exist 2, a balanced passive transformer I/O in 6hp. Both are from Meng Qi, and both sound really nice.

“…a worn vhs cartoon”

I actually began my modular system with a mind to create sounds like that. :neutral_face:

Ofc that naming can have nice associations. But the shaky kind of aliasing sounds i refer to with glitchy pitch to cv arent nice in any sense i can imagine

That makes complete sense. Just really enjoyed your description!

Thanks you! This was the nugget missing from my understanding…

I had a similar problem with my case. I got a 4MS bus stick which sorted things. Might also be worth getting some shorter power cables made up so everything is neat and tidy :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks so much! I’d love to add a Plaits but they seem to be pretty hard to come by at the moment. Hoping Oliver releases another batch soon! For the utilitiy modules when you say their not big on them, do you mean like the links/links/uJack/shades, or would you include Maths, stages, quad VCA in that category too?

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!