New to eurorack: ask questions here

woah, that thing looks wild!

It’s a great module.
Mr Buchla got it right when he designed the 266 all those years ago.
I really like the independent clocking of each section and the ability to control the output ranges either manually or with CV.

Has anyone any experience of the Doepfer A-111-4? Looks solid and simple.

For me drone and dark ambient sort of blend together. I tend to make recordings around the 7 minute range which involve a lot of manual control.

I definitely favor FM and AM, filter FM, RM etc. for getting interesting textures using beating between inharmonic frequencies.

I also tend toward delay and reverb in mine, maybe with some saturation. Sometimes effects feedback is the major component of a drone. Overdubbing in W/ is pretty great for building up drones too.

Slow and smooth modulation is great, though I personally do a lot of that manually. Stages is a nice general purpose modulator, as long as you pair it with something with attenuation. I’ve also got plans for a Planar II, for both manual control and recorded automation.

S+H is a bit more rare for me, but good if I want rhyhtmic modulation, or to make a modulation source steppy. I recorded something last night driven by an LFO that was S+H’d by Wogglebug and then fed into Marbles for quantization (and time-shifted copies).

Have you considered the Random Source Serge euro line? I’d recommend looking into the DUSG and SSG. The thing that is intriguing about Serge in general is that the modules are simple and can be repatched in clever ways. They are kind of big though, HP wise. DUSG is nice because it can be a v/8 oscillator, whereas something like Maths cannot.

In the long run, you’ll probably hang on to modules longer if you can find more uses for them, especially in a small system.

This module looks pretty promising: http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/pdf/RS35Manual.pdf
Looks like they’re available. Big City Music has one at the moment.

I’m interested in this too. So far my experiments have been limited to Reaktor, though.

What i am doing now is experiemting with midi guitar 2 on ipad… i managed to get tracking of my e piano quite okay… i scored a 2nd hand cvpal and by this combination want to try track/play the modular

Not so expensive to try, will only buy midi guitar if it works out.
I dont expect latency and accuracy to play fast clavient style but if the fundamentals are recognized without glitches its a way to go from there…

Also ladik, analog sys and doepfer are super deep modules… i have 43mm max depth.

Will be happy to report my findings. Playing just friends wich i just purchased from my epiano watching the tongues of an mechanical instrument might not at all give any advantages in technical performance but an inspirational value for me personally!

Listening to the recording right now. Really good. Is it OK to download the recording for further listening?

I’m planning on releasing it in the next month or two, so I’m going to master it first! Thanks for asking though :slight_smile: I can send you a DL code when it’s out.

I’ve done a little research on this. The Analogue Solutions module seems a bit ‘hit or miss’ from user reviews. I was specifically interested in using pitch to cv with an electric guitar. If you decide to try the AS module, be aware that you’ll need a ribbon cable adapter to connect it to power.

The Korg MS-03 is basically the best option, though non-euro. You can get one used for $300-400, atm.

Jan Jelinek used this same module on his latest album - not sure if he needed accuracy though since it was a generative process.

Just got a Make Noise Telharmonic this afternoon, and I love it so far.
Really enjoyed patching this hazy guitar sounding thing!

Any other Telhamonic owners/former-owners with tips on neat things to do with it?

Shorty: when i feed my lpg/vca wich i totaly love some cv to activate the stage. I can hear the lfo wich i use bleed through… or its effect on the gate „plucking“ „ klack klack klack“ is this normal behaviour (vactoral?) or are there tricks to hide it from the audio path? Or is lfo simply unsuited signal?

curious about mixers, such as the Tangle Quartet by ALM busy circuits, as well as EGs for systems with 2-4 voices… something like the Pip Slope would be insufficient when running multiple voices, where you’ll be wanting to shape each signal (attack/decay etc.), correct?

what are peoples’ thoughts on these modules, and could anybody share ideas on modules that might be efficient for a compact system with several voices? Sorry, bit of a vague question. I’m attracted to the small size / simplicity of the Pip Slope, though I’m unsure about its limitations, and wondering if there’s a better alternative for multiple, simultaneous signal shaping. Cheers :slight_smile:

What about an Intellijel Quadra? In 12hp you get four independent envelopes that can be cycled, and you have a bunch of different options for each. I’ve not used it but the interface looks very clean. There’s also an expander that adds a load more functionality.

The board on the rs35 looks super deep on their website. Something to bear in mind if your skiff is shallow.

Hey Phil i’d love to be able to listen to both in mastered and mastered side by side at some point if that’s possible. Been lurking a lot in the mastering thread and want to LISTEN to how people are approaching it after all the reading I’ve been doing. I’m new to mastering. No problem if not but it’d be really intersting to have some side by sides (maybe back in the mastering thread).

Sure! To be honest I’m new to mastering and only doing it on my work to make it sound a bit ‘fuller’!

I could just live in the shift register mode with my tEl, which I lent to someone and haven’t seen in a while (I don’t have space in my case for it, but I can’t bear to get rid of it permanently). I find that it lends itself to use with Three Sisters, because of its three outputs. Now that I think about it, I never got a chance to use it with Rings. I bet the N out with some filtering and a LPG/VCA would be a really nice excitation source. My main gripe was always that it didn’t have a fine tune knob – that tiny Tonic knob makes it a bit of a pain to tune – but I really miss it a lot of the time. Might have to get it back.

If I understand correctly, you’re using an LFO into the LPG gain to open/close it?

How fast is the LFO cycling?
If it’s reasonably quick (in LFO timescales) I could certainly see it bleeding through as you describe. It’s not really bleeding through as such. Rather you are performing amplitude modulation on whatever audio signal you are feeding into the LPG.

If you want the “usual” LPG frequency varying pluck type sound then ideally put either a trigger or envelope into the LPG gain. I prefer AD envelopes as I feel they give a bit more chance to sculpt and vary the LPG response versus a straight trigger signal.