New to eurorack: ask questions here

Yep i t hink you are right its a fast clocked lfo. It wasnt the common gate through lpg patch but as vca for audio from Just Friends just stuffing sth i have acess to (lfo) to feed the CV of the lpg/vca.
Probably signal dependent

In that case you are definitely performing amplitude modulation. Which, as you have discovered, affects the audio signal.

Is there any module that acts like a Turing machine for drum triggers? I’ve got melodies sorted with kria now looking for an interesting drum sequencer. Currently using varigate4. I guess grids is probably closest. Or maybe beast Tek microbe (and I like that it is DIY).

it’s not precisely like a turing machine, but tiptop’s trigger riot will do probabilistic drum sequencing (caveat: I’ve never used one)

Trigger Riot rules and can melt face but I don’t think it does what a Turing Machine does. I use one in conjunction with a Varigate 4, though, and find they complement each other really well.

For snagging, looping, and varying drums I might recommend a FF CHAOS by Nonlinear Circuits. Send it a gate and it outputs three related gates and a trigger. Maybe too chaotic…

I’m curious about the Beast-Tek Microbe, too. Report back if you go that route!

I think Noise Engineering also have a few modules that do something similar to Grids?

Also, http://www.qubitelectronix.com/modules/rhythm

I mean, what do you mean like a turing machine? A Turing Machine’s gate out is a semirandom gate sequencer already. It’s hard to manipulate in real time, but you can get four channels of semirandom gates out of an Ornament & Crime in its quantizer modes (with each channel acting as a TM).

Are you into semirandom - ie, random with locking? Are you specifically interested in a digital shift register? I can’t tell from your question.

Mutable Instruments Marbles will do quasi-random (read: musically ‘interesting’) triggers, and much else besides. You can get usable drum triggering with its 3 T outputs patched to kick-like sound, hihat-like sound, and snare-like sound respectively (though obviously you can use other percussion).

Currently hard to come by but there is a batch coming in July, supposedly.

Probably should have made myself clearer.

I guess what I am looking for when I said Turing machine was a device that offers several random triggers for kick/snare/etc modules that could be “locked” or allowed to evolve. (Is it algorithmic sequencers I should be looking at?).

Both marbles and grids interest me but the most intriguing to me seems to be the beast Tek microbe. Some of the others mentioned (which I appreciate) are too big for the space I have left.

This is exactly what I would like from a percussion sequencer.

Are you specifically not talking about Euclidean patterns? What you’re describing sounds like it could be accomplished by a Euclidean pattern sequencer that takes CV modulation. o_C can do this, and I’m sure others.

I would say this is also pretty close to what you’re looking for, theoretically. It’s based on the Turing machine but also says the patterns can be locked.

http://grayscale.info/permutation/

Does anyone have experience with lots of monome-modules in a tiptop audio mantis case? I really like the form factor, but I’m not so sure about the power - will it be able to handle say a teletype and two ansibles with a grid and an arc while the rest of the case is full of modules (mainly mannequins)? I’m well below what the specs say the case can handle on modulargrid, but that doesn’t account for the additional drain of powering the grid and arc. It would be very helpful to hear of someone with a similar setup and no issues :slight_smile:

Whilst it won’t ‘evolve’ patterns, you should seriously consider a Pamela’s New Workout, especially if you don’t already have a clock.

PNW can do combinations of Euclidean patterns, Random, Probabilties and Locked Loops. You can also rotate 4 or all 8 outputs and control variances of all the parameters from 2 CV ins.

A single channel can output a euclidean pattern of random voltages with random steps skipped, as a locked Loop which you can re-roll manually (similar to the way Turing Machine works) by setting the Loop parameter to 0 and then back to the required loop length.

Aside from this use-case, there are a variety of output types which can be skewed; you can use the outputs as offsets; you have CV control over loading saved sets of all 8 channel settings; it can swing AND you can use it as a clock!

Pam’s looks great, bit came out after I’d bought an evaton clx to use as my clock. I daresay I could use the 4 clocks from that to interact with logic modules and/or switches to achieve what I’m looking for.

Can some rings user let me know in what way it functions as a clever maybe even complex filter?
I am very drawn to 3sisters but money is tight as always.
I will mostly shape Just Friends with the Filter.

However i should mention aswell that i also work with sampels and Electric Piano into the Modular and do enjoy to mix and route stuff through it.

What draws me to 3sisters is the interconnected frequency shaping wich i assume will open up lots if ways to fine shape and scultp sounds from Just Friends.

To Rings the whole feed it acoustic signals and create acoustic organic sounds is tempting. Obviously the sound source and pseudo poly is tempting too and will likely give me more Sounds than 3sis.
Iam however not that much into the whole Gamelan Gong thing so i dont know if its character suits me.

In case of using rings as filter, how should i imagine that. Just resonating Lowpass? Or are the comb structures active? How would this compare with 3sis what can one do that the other cant?

I have a weakness for a bit of tapey 60s vibe. External sound processing might become more relevant while diving into my little 56hp modular

Rings won’t replace a filter in any way. You can run signals through it, but the signal is used to excite the resonator. Sounds like you’ll want to get a more standard filter and then look into Rings separately. It’s lovely to run oscillators through, but sounds nothing like a low pass resonant filter.

I see. No way to shape different frequencies of a vco through it then.
More just that quite special resonating, adding its own timbres to the original signal!?

Okay. Do i understand 3sister correctly that multiple filtering takes place on differnt frequencies of the signal(s) wich adds much more complex shaping than a usual even multimode filter?

I am nit at all looking for a classic LPF. Much more into the responses of bandpass and comb filtering, especially responding to each other. And that everything reacts to everything philosophy is what fascinates me so much about Gil‘s modules…

Guess i need to save up for the sisters anyway

Yes, Three Sisters contains three separate filters (low bass, band pass and high pass or three band pass), and you can put a separate signal into each filter. These modules are both pretty popular, so I’m sure you’ll learn more by watching some youtube videos of them in action than you will from answers in text on this thread.