New to eurorack: ask questions here

I’m in the very same boat as you here. I’ve both tried to tame it and to emulate it.

I know you don’t need anyone to tell you to use attenuators, but pairing it with a module that accepts a lot of modulation and has built in attenuation makes a ton of difference. I use it primarily to modulate ER-301, which also allows signal inversion and rectification.

(Not necessarily a reason to run out and grab an ER-301, but hey.)

By way of emulation, a clock with some randomness and a flexible envelope generator mostly satisfies what I want from sloths. For example, at the moment I’m doing a lot of clock outs from Pam (slop setting high) to Zadar (flexibility over envelopes and shear variety of them helps here for sure).

ymmv, thought I share some of my experiences!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I haven’t messed with the chaos operators yet. Good thought!

Yeah, Kinks has a single recitfier circuit, but when I last looked I couldn’t find a compact unit with multiple rectifiers, seeing as I’d want at least 2 or 3 probably? Will look again.

I just got a uO_C and that’s definitely another possibility, though I hate using a general purpose tool for something that I want to use all the time.

Yeah, I’m planning to get one for sure one day, so that is good to know.

i am interested to speak with an actual user of an eleoquencer.
Do you have one? Is it a good composition tool for you?

Caveats?

I’ve got a simple (perhaps stupid) question: is there an easy way to get an EOC gate from an envelope output? Would a comparator do the trick?

I was trying to figure this out and I can’t get my head around it.

Yes, a comparator would do this. You could also use a slope detector.

Edit - perhaps a little detail might be helpful!

Comparator - technically your envelope should hit 0v when it has finished its cycle. Set your “comparison” voltage to that and you should get a gate/trigger when the envelope is done. You may have to tweak things slightly to get it just as you want.

Slope Detector - with the envelope as the input, this should send out a trigger when the voltage is steady - the end of cycle is one of those times. I guess it does depend on what type of envelope you’re using though. AD/AR is going to work better than an ADSR probably as the sustain could give a steady voltage and make the slope detector send out a trigger then.

Can someone help me understand Low Pass Gates? How are they different from an envelope generator? I also don’t understand how they work as filters.

Low pass gate is like a vca + a low pass filter at once.
When it’s closed, the volume is 0 and the filter is closed.
When it’s open to max, the volume is max and the filter is open to max.
in between, the filter is closing/opening at the same time as the volume.

That means the high frequencies get cut first, which gives the caracteristic sound.

The confusion about the envelope generation is because of vactrol. Most common LPG designs use vactrol to do the open/close control. Because of that, you can pass a trigger to the control and it will “ring” (which means sound longer than just the trigger duration). But this is the vactrol design, not all LPG will have this.

Here’s a schema made in Reaktor to help:

Eventually I want to use Ansible + Grid for sequencing. As you know this is a hefty investment, I was wondering if Ansible + an Arturia Keystep had any interesting functionality in a multi-voice setup, or if it would be a simple midi-cv converter? Am I right in assuming it might work similarly to Shifty in addition to powering my Keystep from the case?

Just to say I had my ansible and grid arrive today and the grid feels so good man

I don’t doubt that! When I look at world class instruments such as the Grid or say, Chase Bliss Audio effect pedals, I don’t view them as expensive, but rather as valuable.

That being said, I’m wondering if there’s any practical reason to stagger my purchases, or if it makes more sense to just save up and get them both in one feel swoop?

You could start with keystep as it’s the simplest element and works standalone. Then bring the ansible later, and grid last?

Also, take into account the amount of modules / voices you have. There’s such a thing as too many sequencers

I already have a Keystep and know/like how it functions with my rig (currently Mangrove, Plaits, Tides 1, and Clouds - I sold everything else I had to clear my mind and save up some money), but I was wondering if adding Ansible will expand the functionality of Keystep - specifically for sequencing two voices without an extra adapter, or if I’m better off just saving up for Ansible and Grid.

TLDR: Any reason to get Ansible without Grid or will it be the same as just using the Keystep as is?

it will probably let you recover some “shift-register”-like functionality, and do a little polyphony. So in that sense, Ansible is not useless if you buy it first. It’ll probably make you itch for a grid though.

Personally I bought grid first because (a) I’m very interested in the Max programming as well as the modular, and (b) I already had Teletype.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hermod? Trying to decide on a sequencer.

This one might be helpful :slight_smile:

If i remember correctly @trickyflemming said some pretty nice things about using the Hermod!

That reaktor sketch is very helpful, thanks!

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but lately I’ve been wondering if anyone has successfully merged their Euro practice with an iPad for sequencing and for playing…My full immersion into electronic production started about 6 years ago with iOS apps like Nanostudio, but I have yet to try to use my iPad or iPhone as an interface with my Eurorack setup or DAW.

I’m wondering now if anyone has experience with iOS sequencers that have interesting (Monome-esque (-; ) approaches, with features like unquantized looping, probability, etc…and curious about the technical details regarding what you use to getting it all speaking CV. I just feel like I have this untapped potential with an 2016 iPad Pro wasting away and would love to unlock it!

Hi, I got the Squarp pyramid and it’s a great sequencer. The Hermod seems to have a similar engine. There are great YouTube tutorials out there.

I run a sequencer called something like little midi sequencer on my ancient iPad first generation, it’s ok but I like that it randomizes note order…

I also run audio into my iPad Air 1 through a Apogee Duet for effects processing.

Both are great and I’m barely scratching the surface of what is possible…

My focus at this point is just on wrapping my head around the actual modules!

Hi !

After about 3 years of wanting to build a system!! I’m finally about to make the deep dive! I have a couple question I was hoping y’all could help me with:

1. My current production background is very hip hop sample based (bring a loop into a NI maschine and recreate a new loop). Now I don’t want my rig to be entirely set around this, but sampling and sequencing is still important to me. I’m fascinated by the grids & monome in general so I was thinking about bringing Ansible into the rig and getting grids. Norns seems really great as a sampler but that’s a lot of bread on top of a new rack. Are there any modules that sample and chop MPC style that I could look into ? Is the BitBox the best option here?

2. How good is the Magneto? I have access to a few Memory Man’s and delay pedals, but this seems like it can take care of those tasks all in one module…

Lastly, Here’s my draft of the rack … I know I’m eventually going to want to add some type of envelope ADSR. So any recommendations for that would be great too. Was looking at Just Friends.

Thanks to anyone who replies !