New to Max

staff note: this thread has been preserved for continuity. please continue discussion of all things max/msp & m4l in: Max/msp & max4live (the thread).

This guy is great:

14 Likes

This is a good place to start. Baz has a dry sense of humor and he does good explanations of his process -a little more so than Dude837. I recommend starting here then moving to Dude tutorials.

2 Likes

+1 for all the suggestions here.

I think one of the best ways is just going through the help files, remembering the ? tab on the end of each - exploring similar or related objects:

This set of LFO tutorials are really amazing, and probably very useful for anyone wanting to generate CV from Max:

Otherwise, the books are amazing (and feel like more of an applied course than the max tutorials):

https://virtual-sound.com/

Having said all that, I’ve probably learnt more lurking on the C74 forum than anywhere else…

2 Likes

This book series is excellent:

Newest editions are updated for Max 7

9 Likes

All the tutorials everyone has mentioned so far are excellent, but I learned the most from finding patches online and pulling them apart and rebuilding them (no copy and paste allowed). It helps to have some small, well defined goals, too, like “i want to build an LFO that randomly changes frequency” etc… simple ideas go far. Also read all the help files as you build.

5 Likes

The thing that really helped me get my head round Max a bit was taking a four day beginners class a few years ago. There’s nothing like immersing yourself in something for a period of time with a tutor on hand to explain things and give some structure to the learning.

In terms of online resources, I turn to the Max/MSP/Jitter thesaurus on a very regular basis when trying to figure out how to do things. It’s an extremely useful, and sometimes overlooked, document especially when combined with the built in help resources for each object.

1 Like

I’m really busy with my thesis now, but starting mid-May 2017 I’d be happy to do an hour or so of free Skype/Face Time lessons with anyone on the board who needs an introduction. I was the TA for the Advanced MAX course last semester and I’m passionate about teaching it; I think it’s really fun. An hour isn’t much time, but it can be good to have questions answered, and more efficient than clicking through YouTube videos looking for the answer. PM me if you might be interested, come mid-May.

2 Likes

For fun, while figuring out all of my Teletype/ii bus issues, I’ve decided to start porting the TT Studies over to Max as an exercise for myself. I’ve typically used Max as a DSP prototyping environment, not as a generative composition tool. Here’s Teletype Studies #1, Jumpy Edges:

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
1643.3oc6b00aqhCD84jeEHdtak+fux91Js+KptJhDbScWBf.mdS2qt+2WiM
jBjPpSwAR55WnpiAy4LLyXOGA4WymYuJcOov15OsdxZ1reMe1LgoRCyp9+Y1
aC2uNNrPbZ1aIEEgaH1OHGiQ1yD1wHPssB16wDgwZKI61RShILwTfpLlExV+
BMYyxbxZlDBdX+GAOXA88J+CFVdDgdDX8ipqgFIl2zUu9Gd9Ml8zcr5oGVYU
Zh8dFQN211V+nbjeOed4gGFJeCzAeANpyW2IkuNNZfut9P04KdR4qKPG7EGn
NegSJeQ5H+0I.nLecWLo7Epi3YGn54utSa8JnNpW43nd8Y2osdETG4u3.0qW
4NN0qVmtcKIgcDeyRyYjHqmyS2ZwH76D+FYUv1EQIEVPEcEvyTJaQI4cwB+g
m3ePfd7D8TICnQ595tsYuaQh1v28hl3l7wKzEbNt4rPebKg7S9Td7SRKV5l+
lDG9d+LKKmTvcKgLZZRy7Srq.7PwxNfpCG3gxo4XQ7NxUTcyK3bg8NegxZMu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.A3BcWny6tpVs.
5KW6Xwitsq120cEzu6p4Cl91uyH3ff50AUEOorCx6lvAIn2E5H.JEo3ATKux
4q6GtjzNzssSqJ5QUmF9K5zVElr4Bcb5rdUq8x1NaLpbqrVN.cW1BH2xkbup
d3taR8nnwA5YOgy5isCESS5acPAzKG+zdwhzc4qquUUA.VsIAeccFM4vlCe5
PUlNm2KznHRR2PxHZQ4VIh5ZOMORt2a0BCtTZ3nJOB9J735.YEQrfZvaBHiu
DHqknkqCO7TjGKtYBVBFYDWU.pt2S6x9OhVJ60ZYHikSWsiIqA0rY5Kpm.dC
pqBiq1w+gNFOWCBezEw7Ov6jKCB1SpeAzePxfTOMJIChmQFDiLHFYPLxfXjA
wHChQFDiLHFYPLxfXjA4to+p+O1C62E0CtCEt4NTdraBgIMxfntLHnERIKfK
FjLHnEWfLHtFYPLxfXjAwHChQFDiLHFYPLxfXjAwHChQFDyaCh4sAwnmi4sA
w71fbEkAQYAMP9pKngiQPCifFFAMLBZXDzvHngQPCifFFAMLBZXDzv7dcXdu
NLuWGl2qCy60wmInAG2LN5F9ORIAUKHH0qvo93IUs.cgpVzXQfIhdU+linF8
.2czq5knQI5gCt6nG7RnmynQOV5lMwDMPOGw9uvJQuOI2KKLmW5gQxWJEAoQ
YxioNsbCtSJykpioFyAemXdfuxDGE7ch3U+ZXoDw8tEHt1JhIyxUpHFx49qF
ckP2JQu6uMPHyWUic2e6evU8M+AG91GDSa6t9kjsauEUT93dl8a1rPess42r
ssi6l33deNx4qLdbUAOdiGdvpfG2wCOPUviyngmxFX9T7zIH6SvSczeKIKtx
.zcH.DNB.DOD.hFA.BGB.wCCf.E.n6hILFTI.NkwfJAP+ILFTI.hmtXvNgWS
95nt2Xqi55easNpK91ZcTbfpwOSTML0.n2zUCSM.5Ng0vTIE.itD.NL73oBd
.iGdTojEJX7viiJ3wazviZA3NS2ZfXGsGfq4ZXNZOhWy0vbzdJfdqgg0eNgd
iAQWe.Bu9.bJSRPnuE.bByhQfqN.AWe.NrxLCyCBCt5.DLB.TakYjx714COn
Dac9fC57wFb7GZP+ejAc+.C324eO++vzLe4M
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
7 Likes

I had really well defined goals when I pulled the trigger on a license but have since allowed myself to be distracted/overwhelmed by endless possibilities

pulling apart patches is a better path forward for me than tutorials (they all seem fantastic but it’s difficult to motivate myself to stay disciplined and complete them when I could be making music other ways…poor excuse, I know)

3 Likes

It’s always interesting how different people learn and approach things. I never get very far with other peoples’ patches and generally find they confuse me more than enlighten!

I find I have to have a specific goal in mind for a patch and then learn what I need to in order to achieve that.

A large part of the work in making a patch for me is done entirely away from a computer with paper and pen, roughing out what it needs to do in terms of a process and what the different sections of it may be. Lots of flowcharts and diagrams - I’m a visual thinker.

Then I start with Max using what I do know and learning the bits I don’t.

3 Likes

I’m in the process of learning Max. Have been through some of the tutorials included with the install, I’m pretty impressed with the flow and structure, the Cycling '74 team is good at teaching. I just signed up for the Kadenze course. I tend to drop out of massive online courseware pretty quick, so not sure if I’ll make it through, but for now - it looks good.

I’m still on the fence of whether or not I want to commit to Max. I’m not a Ableton user, and I really do prefer structured programming to graphical programming, but I’ve been pretty dissatisfied with the offerings for music focused programming libraries. Max seems like a good direction, so I’m going in with an open mind.

An aside - I’m also hoping that it will be usable for my nine year old, he’s programming-interested, but gets frustrated with the cruft / boilerplate of programming. He and I have had a great time discovering command blocks in Minecraft, I get the feeling that Max might light his fire, especially when we pair it with a grid. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I learn this way as well and that’s where the gap between use of hardware and software is most pronounced for me. Too often I lack the basic foundational knowledge to overcome hurdles while translating my ideas to functional patches. My passion for the concept fades or I forget critical details by the time I’m able to research the subjects which might help.

The simplest solution will be worth it but is time consuming: read more and force myself to build the boring basic patches everyone else started with…eventually the techniques will be useful for bridging gaps in the things I really would like to design

2 Likes

Interesting thought

I’m not entirely sure which I prefer but based on limited experience I think I’m more creatively inspired by text based strings than linking graphics

I have no idea why

2 Likes

I like the book a lot, but it’s very specific to creating sfx rather than music (as I’m sure you can see…). Andy’s approach and explanations of physical processes are amazing though.

Someone converted the patches to Max too:

http://fieldguide.hollandhopson.com/?s=designing+sound&submit=Search

2 Likes

I’m really fond of this book (I’ve only read Volume 1, ooh, there’s a Volume 2 now?!)

4 Likes

Maybe you should put these in separate study tagged threads? I think the best patches to look at for learning are small snippets like this, and it would be cool if people could post back stuff they’ve built around them without this thread becoming huge.

I don’t really know what a Teletype does, but could definitely hook those toggles up to something interesting…

3 Likes

fwiw, the ebook version of Electronic Music and Sound Design is soooooo much more dynamic. updated continuously, interactive media examples galore. can’t recommend hard enough, though it’s gotta be frustrating to have to buy it again.

2 Likes

So more actual content, or just updated examples?

agreed

I’m curious what patches any of yall have picked apart, studied and repurposed…

1 Like

I find breaking down big patches difficult. I think especially so as many people don’t comment in Max.

This Deserves a mention here:

Also can’t recommend the LFO tutorial enough that I link at the beginning of the thread.

This has some cool stuff within:

2 Likes