New to MAX?

I started to take lessons with @benniii via Skype. He is a fantastic teacher and I am super motivated to learn. Besides this I would really enjoy to form a group of students in Berlin and organize a workshop where we could start from scratch and work forward.

3 Likes

Good point! I started a new thread here and turned it into more of an open project for learning. Teletype Studies for Max (including "homework")

2 Likes

The classic nobuyasu sakonda granular patches and the jean-francois charles spectral processing tutorials :grin:

1 Like

I had to look those up, so here’s some links I found:

http://formantbros.jp/sako/download.html

Looks like this book is not available on my country’s iBook store. That’s a bit frustrating, but maybe I prefer the paper copy anyway.

Hi everyone, I recently discovered this forum and have really been enjoying reading. There’s a ton of great info here and it seems like a great community.

This is my first post and I don’t want to come off as spammy - I promise I am a good internet citizen with good intentions - but I wanted to share that I just signed up for a free class on Kadenze called “Programming MAX: Structuring Interactive Software for Digital Arts”.

The guy teaching the class, Dr. Matt Wright, has been programming in Max since forever and is technical director at Stanford’s Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics.

I’ve been interested in learning Max for a while but, despite having both Max for Live and a Max 7 license, I have never really taken the time to really dive in and learn this stuff. I’m a member on GS and MW and shared it there, but I’m posting here because it seems like a really appropriate place and I thought others might be interested in going through the course. It might be cool to go through it together and share thoughts and work, if anyone is into that sort of thing.

The class is free to audit, and starts on May 29th. Here’s the course link and review from the Cycling blog -

Course: https://www.kadenze.com/courses/programming-max-structuring-interactive-software-for-digital-arts-i/info

Review: https://cycling74.com/forums/arts-and-creative-technology-classes-on-kadenze/

edit - Sorry, links fixed!
edit edit - Thanks for moving this to the appropriate topic. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I can’t recommend Peter Batchelor’s tutorials highly enough, stumbled upon them when I started getting interested in learning Max/MSP and the way they’re structured makes a lot of sense. The examples and “assignments” force you to break down complex problems and really learn the software.

Once I finished those, I delved into Sam’s delicious tutorials and got the first volume of Electronic Music and Sound Design. However, the thing that’s helped me the most is thinking of something I would like to achieve, like making the Count to 5’s mode 2 into a m4l audio effect, downloading the manual and then starting to replicate the functionality and checking the forum’s when I am stuck with something. I am currently trying to make a m4l version of the Meris Polymoon but that’s proving to be much harder than I’d originally anticipated.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to get back on the Max horse for a while now, and with Max8 coming up, I’ll join this course and see if it reawakens any creative juices…

I got well into Electronic Music and Sound Design, but then hit some weird wall where I just gave up on it…

it really helps if you have something you want to make
i had a really fun time making M4L plugins of Ciat Lonbarde modules and i learned a ton about chaos and fractal/dynamical systems

3 Likes

That sounds like fun. Based on the circuit diagrams??

that and j p sprott’s code and research online.

Don’t know this has been answered in this post or elsewhere on here, but have you posted these online anywhere? Would love to see/hear these.

i released it in the max facebook group about two years ago. But i used viktor’s fourses~ object
i am no longer on mac Rodrigo so here is the object and i’ll find the patch and link it soon

http://vboehm.net/maxobjects/vb.fourses~.zip

is the object i used and tweaked and
http://s373.net/code/A-Chaos-Lib/A-Chaos.html

2 Likes

it was fun because it used chaos to modify the chaotic oscillator

1 Like

Awesome.

I had seen the vb.fourses before, but never took a proper look at it as there’s a decent gen~-based build and I’d want to avoid taking on externals for something that isn’t necessary to do so.

I was mainly interested in building some of the control structure stuff. There’s a couple good blog posts by Richard Brewster on what the Quantussy is, and explaining its schematic.

Ah i see what you mean
gen~ is cool for sure but what i wanted was something i could make relatively quickly into a working M4L/patch. i know what you mean about externals because you are at the mercy of the dev

but you can build and tweak dave bennets db.bounce~ which is a choatic triangle as well

Peter Batchelor

Peter Elsea

John Mayrose

Mark Phillips

Baz Tutorials (Youtube)

Joel Rich (Youtube)

Delicious Max Tutorials (Youtube)

6 Likes

I’m debugging a patch, and would like to view multiple signals at once, in a way that correctly displays their relative phase. Does Max offer something for this?

Best I can tell, the scope~ object shows at most one signal (per axis). Connecting multiple signals to an inlet just sums them, as per usual.

Using one scope~ object per signal solves that, but now I need a way to trigger one scope~ from another, and I haven’t found one.

Is there another solution?

I’ve always preferred the scope function of plot~. One solution is overlaying scopes with transparent backgrounds and different colours for each plot.

Re-reading, not sure that answers your question! Probably a jitter solution too…