New to monome and modular: ask questions here

After a few years away from music making, I’ve started to dive back in with the purchase of some eurorack modules. My primary focus to begin with is effects, but at some point I’d like to get my 128 back up and running for some sequencing duties with the monome trilogy modules (likely White whale first). Now my grid is a 2008 128, so has no variable brightness. I understand that this provides a little less visual feedback than a varibright model, but is otherwise functional. Is this the case for WW and its alternative firmwares (orca and kria)? My grid is also an original power pack version and I never did the bus power upgrade. Will this have any impact, or will it work just fine with the modules?

My other question relates to the monome switch. Is this required to avoid hot swapping between modules and computer, or would a simple USB switch device do the job just as well?

Thanks in advance!

The 2014 Grid Kit works with Ansible, correct?

Has anyone got any hints regarding my questions above? TIA

to my knowledge, a simple USB switch is fine, provided the switch is not a USB hub. Likewise, my understanding is that all grids will work with monome grid modules, but that the lack of varibright will make it tougher to see what is going on. that said, I don’t have personal experience, this is just restating what I’ve seen more knowledgeable people state here.

re: non vb grids with white whale (sorry, missed the original post!) - orca was adjusted specifically for max usability on non vb grids. obviously some things will not work as well but i tried to make sure all the important info gets communicated on non vb grids. can’t say about ww and kria, iirc there is a couple of old threads where people with non vb grids share their experience.

re: switch - a simple switch might work but can’t confirm (hopefully others will comment), one thing to keep in mind is if a switch has a usb hub inside it won’t work with any of the monome eurorack modules.

Also wanted to know about the USB switch mentioned by xpm.

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

I’m wondering whether Norns plus Crow will be a replacement for TT… if not, what is the difference?

Thanks

Approaching: norns

being only 2HP, Crow definitely won’t have as many CV ins and outs as Teletype, so it won’t be able to talk quite as much with, say, analog modules in one’s rack as much. In terms of i2c control of other modules? difficult to say without knowing more about it.

Thanks. Hard to know what to do. I’m definitely starting with Grid and Ansible. Arc probably after that due to the Ableton m4l connection.

Eventually I’d like to explore TT and Norns, which at this point are seemingly an entirely different universe, not being a coder…

I finally have both grid and Ansible and let me tell you, much joy to be had there.

No.

norns:

• produces sound on its own
  • can process external sounds
  • runs Supercollider programs for sound generation
  • uses Lua scripts to connect display, encoders, knobs, grid and other USB devices to parameters of Supercollider programs
  • requires computer for programming
  • after programming changes, programs need to be stopped and restarted to hear changes
  • programs can be very long

TT:

• needs Eurorack modules for sound generation and sound processing
  • receives triggers, reacts with control voltages & triggers
  • uses proprietary programming language
  • can be programmed with USB keyboard
  • live coding: changes in a program are effective immediately
  • programs must be very short

Thanks that’s very helpful!

Grid and Ansible arrived today!

Where to begin?!?

If I install Ansible in my rack and plug Grid into it, what mode is it in?

Yikes!

Psyched and scared all at once… :nerd_face:

if you do that, it’ll be in Kria!

OMG it’s working!

Puzzling my way through the online introduction… insanely great…

Something easy to miss but very helpful to know when beginning to use Kria, from the manual:

Kria has two parameters, represented on the left and right quadrants of the grid when Key 2 is held down.

Note Sync can be toggled on or off on the left side by touching any key– the square icon will be lit bright when Note Sync is on.

When Note Sync is on, Note and Trigger editing is linked. In Note view, you can now press on a step’s current note value to toggle off the Trigger at that step, and this is reflected in the interface. This way you can edit note sequences intuitively with rests without switching between two views.

Note Sync requires that Loop Sync is in Track or All mode, as the sync interface does not make sense if loops are desynchronized between Note and Trigger.

Loop Sync is shown on the right quadrant of the grid. There are three modes:

• None (nothing lit): all tracks and parameters can have independent loop points
  • Track (top single block lit): all parameters within tracks have the same loop, but tracks can differ in their looping
  • All (bottom row of 4 lit): all tracks and parameters have a synchronized loop

By default Note Sync is on and Loop Sync is set to Track.

Edit: clearly Im not proficient in discourse formatting yet… :wink:

Really helpful, I was wondering why all the tracks seemed to have the same loop length… cool that they can be decoupled… I was getting some weird stuff where pressing the same key twice would cause things to change in ways I couldn’t quite sort out…

It’s really playing nice with my Mannequins and Make Noise modules!

One thing I can think of with that behavior: if you’re holding the loop modifier and double press on a single key, the loop is set to one step long at the position of the key you just pressed.

Thanks

It wasn’t that. It was changing the display in a way I couldn’t figure out…

pressing some of the keys on the bottom row twice will call up an “alternate” page. The button will flash to indicate this. maybe it was one of those?