New to Monome and modular! Need suggestions :-)

The 4 modules (WW, Ansible, Earthsea, and Meadowphysics) are really just small computers with different i/o configurations. Some have more knobs, some have more jacks, some have more inputs, some have more outputs. The firmware for each is completely different but some can be run on multiple modules.

You can currently run WW with the traditional WW firmware, Kria, or Orca. It will only host one firmware at a time and you must load that firmware with your computer.

Ansible runs Kria and Meadowphysics and can switch between them with a push of a button making it very versatile in general. Its the only module that can switch so fluidly at the moment. It also runs two firmwares for Arc that can be accessed also by simply connecting an Arc. Lastly, it can function as a USB host for a MIDI controller. All of this is covered in great detail in the manual. You really need to start your research there.

Earthsea only runs Earthsea. There’s no other module in the lineup that currently runs Earthsea though that could change at some point. Earthsea is unlike any of the others and cannot be duplicated or covered by any other module in the series. That being said, its function is very basic - it turns Grids into essentially a keyboard with a pattern recorder. You could achieve a similar thing with a MIDI controller and Ansible in MIDI/CV mode although without the pattern recorder (unless your MIDI keyboard has one built in).

Meadowphysics only runs Meadowphysics but there are talks of 3rd party firmwares that may or may not ever be developed for it.

Again, Ansible is by far your best bet especially if you intend to acquire an Arc at some point.

I’m not really sure what you mean by running the output of Kria into another Ansible running Kria - its certainly possible to clock another Ansible with the trigger output but you can do a lot of this within Kria itself without another sequencer involved - that’s the beauty of it. Still, Kria opens the most doors for the smallest footprint. You can connect or disconnect any note sequence from its track sequence. Lots of possibilities this way. It combines a lot of different sequencing techniques. But you could also program specific melodies, drum patterns, or even chords if you wanted.

Awesome! Meanwhile I will do more research! thank you

Hello all !

I’m new to the world of eurorack! This is the build I’m en-visioning for this year.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/605255

Any suggestions or ideas?

I’m mainly wanting to build a mono synth to create melodic ideas / riffs and ambient lines / noises.

Eventually I would like to add a sampler for live recording of instruments which will also be sequenced and processed. A more improvised nature…

Thanks!

Morphagene is worth considering if you’re interested in any sort of sample manipulating. I’d definitely rather have two VCOs and a Morphagene than 3 VCOs.

I would probably opt for a smaller sequential switch in a compact setup like this - Erica has their Pico version, Doepfer has one, or the WMD/SSF Tool-box has a two-channel switch among many other things that I think would be useful in a compact rack.

Also, you might look at uBurst over uClouds - it seems to have a better layout (to me) and it has been reported to be a better PCB design, though they’re ultimately the same functionally.

I’d also want a dedicated random source of some sort - Wogglebug, Turing Machine, Pamela’s New Workout for its random and more normal triggers and modulations, etc.

Even if you didn’t change anything, it seems like a fun start to me! I think Mangrove, Maths, and Magneto with the uVCA and Ansible as a start could do a lot and would let you delve into what are pretty complex modules and choose a direction from there.

Hey thanks for the input!

You reckon I should opt for a ADSR envelope of sorts for the vco and vcf? And use math for modulations.

thanks

Have you considered playing with VCVRack to get a better feel about modules in general and then applying that knowledge to how you might want to configure a physical rack?

yes I should try this out now

Pretty neat,

can I modulate the pitch some how? or the pattern from the seq

if you want pretty traditional style monosynth capabilities, you’ll likely want an ADSR. I don’t find myself really caring much either way, but I don’t really use my modular as a typical monosynth.

cool!

new version, how does it look?

I’m actually just looking for simple sounds.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/607290

Hi :slight_smile: This look like a fun setup to play with. Just one word of caution though: the magneto is a very new and sophisticated module. If you’re starting out, you might be better served by an older and simpler module. Also, don’t hesitate to look into second hand, DIY options!

can I modulate the pitch some how?

You are modulating the pitch in your patch above: the output of VCO2 is going into the FM in of VCO1. You could also use much, much slower rate modulation from the LFO into the FM input to modulate the frequency - the pitch - of the oscillator.

or the pattern from the seq

What do you mean? Modulate the the pitch, or the gates? And: modulate how? Modulate the amplitude (of the audio generated by an oscillator)? Modulate the frequency (of the oscillator)? Modulate what?

That does look like a fun rack! Looks like you have a lot of control generators, so you might want another mixer module for CVs, the Quad VCA will probably cover you for audio mixing.

Hows the Chance compared to the Workout?

Might need to have a LFO generator in there of sorts?

Will look into CV mixers.

I’ve being advised that this rack will not work… which I find hard to understand. As I feel it its pretty straight forward.

THANKS!

Yet another update , just discovered the
Arpitecht. It will be very interesting to seq this with the ansible + shifty (in my imagination)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/610931

Any suggestions on the configuration to save more space ? I was even thinking to add another osc or voice of some sort in there !

My advice is to start with as few modules as possible. Chances are you will sell or trade away most of your first rack because your working methods will evolve as you get more familiar with the modules.

After a year of switching to eurorack, I have 3 and a half rows of 84hp. But I have sold over 4 rows worth!

What other synths or hardware do you have / have you had and enjoyed using?

My question is why did you get the modules in the first place if you didn’t know what it did.

I’m not interested in creating any new sounds , so the layout is very straight forward.

some inspiration for me, korg minilogue, korg monopoly, dsi pro 2 & the virus

great topic, thanks – the things I find most useful came to me like this (on a whim), although it led also to my worst mistakes. here are two possible reasons.

first reason: “what it did”, “what I did”… actually neither concept applies. This happens only when the path is blocked.

because if it’s really right, if the instrument resonates with you a third structure emerges. like the disparity between right and left retinal images resolving to bring forth an illusion of depth, or two strangers having a conversation, bringing forth almost a new person.

individuation: a crystal about to form needs a germ, a nucleus. which is often the spirit of discovery… what happens if we do this? again, the whim… not something already contained in the “I” or the system

the “I” can at best be receptive to what is emerging and steadfast in submitting oneself to it, letting it come into its own.

if it’s really “right” then, I don’t deserve any credit. Only blame when I get in the way by trying to force my will on things.

second reason (a corollary of the first): there are mistakes that need to be made.

my frustration has informed my process just as much as my success.

that’s why there’s nothing that takes “15 minutes” to do, it’s the result of a whole life. every work is but a portrait of a lifelong process of actualization.

Agnes Martin “On the Perfection Underlying Life” (1973):

x100. Learning is a process of mistakes, experiences hard-won, and the interesting and beautiful things that come from them - including “success” such as it might be perceived. It’s hard to know a true success unless you know several versions of failure, whether your own or those you can learn from matters little, but the personal lessons carry the strongest teachings.

For this reason I’m not overly sweating my first modular system (although I’m curious about various aspects of it and don’t want to rush headlong either) - I know that it won’t, in many ways, be “perfect” but it will, of necessity, help me figure out what “perfect” is for me, or sort of like a Lorentz attractor, will guide my path towards and around the ever shifting concept of “ideal”.