New to monome and monome + modular: ask questions here

FWIW, fates with a CVpal works quite nicely, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi,
I´m still quite new to modular. I`m curious about deciding to buy an ansible or not.
Currently I have:

1. Genoqs Octopus (http://genoqs.net/octopus/) which is a great sequencer, but not fully implementable (communication only in one direction) to the euro format. I think you could do quite equal things compared with kira, but it has I think at least the possibility to run much more sequences at a time.
  2. Teletype, which I have just started to discover.
    What I plan to buy:
  3. Grid
    What I`m not sure to buy:
  4. Ansible - as I dont know how great the additonal possibilities are compared with teletype and grid and with the octopus in mind. For sure additonal Ins/Outs for the teletype are making sense. But Im not sure if the additonal soft-features are worth it, as there are A) the teletype it self with some sequencer emulations (https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/CODE-EXCHANGE) and B) the one-directional but great octopus.
    If I wouldnt have any sequencer, than it wouldnt be a question to buy the ansible. But under this circumstance I`m not sure.

Whats your experience about sequencing only with a teletype and a grid? Compared with an additional ansible on top… how much features (beside the INs/OUTs) do you get additonally?

Another related point: If I have connected the grid to the ansible and the keyboard to the teletype, can the teletype communicate with the grid via I2C as they would be directly connected via USB?

Thanks a lot about letting me know your thoughts and experiences.

I certainly enjoy having teletype, grid, and ansible. There are some pretty great and unique grid sequencing apps in ansible, and they can be controlled and extended with teletype ops over i2c.

I guess for me they suit different moods or workflows. For me, teletype is better when I want to design my own unique sequencer. It’s particularly well suited for generative music. I tend to reach for ansible when I’m more in the mood to get some immediate results or focus more on tone sculpting than sequencing.

Ansible is also a nice usb MIDI to CV converter if that interests you.

2 Likes

my experience?

i never use teletype and 128 together
if i were interested in grid sequencing i’d just pair grid + ansible instead

however,
if you’re trying to use both (really…all including the genoqs)
they can definitely work together but not totally necessary for a starter setup

stacking sequencers is one method to add complexity + additional variation to patches you create

perhaps your experience will be more rewarding if you learn the strengths of the modules one by one

1 Like

Hi Joe, Hi [[he/him]],
thank you for sharing your thoughts! I could imagine, that by programming teletype, kira for example could be completely or nearly be recreated only with a teletype.? Am I right with this assumption or are the apps in ansible too complex?
What about this topic: If I have connected the grid to the ansible and the keyboard to the teletype, can the teletype communicate with the grid via I2C as they would be directly connected via USB? If yes, I could avoid to connect, disconnect and reconnect the keyboard / grid all the time.
And do I have to prepare the monome ecosystem with an extra power supply/bus if there are more modules involved? I have the 2019 teletype and I will also connect my ER-301 and perhaps a 16n faderbank via I2C.

My hunch is that kria is too complex to recreate with grid ops. If you’re up for some lower level programming, maybe it could be done with multipass?

Sort of - but teletype couldn’t talk to grid in the same way as if it were directly connected by USB. If you have the latest firmwares, you can simulate grid button presses via teletype ops. Most of teletype’s ansible commands are targeted at controlling the apps themselves rather than the grid directly.

It might be noteworthy that you can hot swap grid on both ansible and teletype, and they’ll continue what they were doing. E.g. if you set up a sequence on ansible, then move grid to teletype, ansible keeps on playing that sequence with the grid disconnected, and you can still control ansible using teletype ops. If you reconnect the grid, you pick up where you left off and can continue modifying the ansible parameters.

I can’t speak authoritatively on that. I have ER-301, Ansible, teletype, crow, TXo, TXi, and faderbank all on one i2c bus. They’re all in the same case (Intellijel 7u) along with a bunch of other things and I haven’t needed extra power. However grid is powered externally by two>one from another case, and faderbank is externally powered as well.

1 Like

Hi Joe,
thanks a lot! That were the answers I`ve needed. I will place an order for a grid and an ansible to deep dive into this monome world :slight_smile:.

Cool, enjoy! If you like teletype, I think you’ll find ansible to be equally rewarding. At least for me, I see them more as complementary rather than redundant.

1 Like

Wow I had no idea this was a thing! How doors that work? I don’t recall seeing any documentation on it? Thanks @EqualTemperament

2 Likes

It’s really flexible and easy to use.

The MIDI Arpeggiator app is really fun too, especially if you have Teletype connected and can set the Euclidean rhythms on the gate patterns and control other parameters with scripts and live coding.

1 Like

Thanks, I’d completely overlooked it.

Hello, does the grid send midi? I read somewhere that it doesnt. So it needs some additional plugin to work with ableton?

No the grid does not send midi and is not a midi instrument. It uses monome’s own serial protocol.

There might be Ableton M4L devices that would help.

1 Like

Thank you. I cant find any 128’s in europe, only 64. The custom duty is crazy so I’m hesitating to buy it from US. Is there any market / forum where you guys sell stuff?

As an even clearer heads-up: there aren’t really “plugins” that convert grid data to MIDI, inside Ableton: there are Max4Live apps that talk directly to the grid, and are designed specifically for it. You’re not going to get deep-integration like you do with a Push. It’s a very different paradigm. Have a look at the list of applications in the docs - some of these are specifically for M4L, rather than standalone Max.

Regarding distribution: the only place to buy monome equipment new is direct from monome in the US.

Duty is largely tax on purchase that you’d pay anyway - US customers would pay sales tax according to state laws, for instance. There’s an overhead in terms of import tax, but you’d be paying that anyway if you purchased it from a distributor in Europe. You’d just see a larger price that you give entirely to the distributor. monome gear is made and sold in relatively small runs, so there isn’t really the savings via distribution that there are for Yamaha or Korg, Arturia or Novation. If you think it sounds expensive: this is the reality of being a small manufacturer and supplier in a globalised marketplace. No-one is forcing you to buy things.

2 Likes

@Ukasz I was looking for one too the other day and I saw this one in Berlin.

Check the “trade” category in this forum.

Thank you!!! That wooden one from Berlin looks amazing :smiley:

it looks like it’s non-varibright, which I would not recommend in 2020 for a new user.

3 Likes