New to monome, and monome + modular: ask questions here

Oh hey Ben awesome. Ha I know if your here I am in the right place :raised_hands::pray:t2:

4 Likes

the monome docs page has a lot of good info to get rolling on each device, with teletype even going so far as to have studies for some of its various capabilities.

beyond that, a lot of info is scattered across this forum, with much of it loosely collected into threads, but come with questions and people here will be happy to help out.

2 Likes

welcome. there are a few starting points for all these devices singly, and together. the official docs have pages on each of them, and are highly recommended, as they provide excellent starting points to see what these devices can do, and how to use them.

the grid can be used directly connected to your computer, or to ansible (and even teletype). if connected directly to your computer or DAW, you can use it to control max4live devices, standalone max apps, and various programs written in all sorts of languages. sequencers, synthesizers, granular processors, loopers, samplers, and more.

when connected to ansible, the grid becomes the controller for one of three sequencer apps on ansible: kria, meadowphysics, and earthsea. these apps can also interact with, and be controlled from, teletype scripts.

ansible can also be used as a simple midi-cv converter module, for a usb midi controller. when attached to teletype, ansible can be used as a cv/gate output expander for teletype.

teletype is probably the most complex of the bunch. it has excellent docs, as well as several incremental studies that walk the user through what teletype can do, and teach concepts for writing one’s own scripts. there are also several premade teletype scenes available for viewing, to get an idea for the kinds of things that teletype can do, as well as its simple scripting syntax. teletype scripts can also control ansible apps, when the two modules are linked by an i2c cable. there’s also the full teletype manual as a reference for all commands, operators, variables, etc.

beyond all this, there’s a wealth of information and Q+A available here on the forum via the search function; just depends on what you’re looking to do or learn.

5 Likes

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation. Looks like I have a bit of homework to do. :raised_hands::pray:t2:

3 Likes

Also, teletype talk by @EqualTemperament is a great place to start with tt. https://youtu.be/mMAhjRKrpZE

4 Likes

looks like you’ve got plenty to start with, but there’s also a teletype study group which is currently going—it’s set to end in a couple months, but it’s a welcome place to hivemind questions that seem too small for lines and to think through ideas out loud :slight_smile:

1 Like

this should help navigate the many teletype threads: A user's guide to the wonderful world of teletype ⌨

there are also alternative apps available for ansible and teletype: A user's guide to monome eurorack firmwares

5 Likes

Thank you so much, I have watched a lot of your videos on Instagram, really awesome stuff.

3 Likes

Welcome RD! I’ve been loving the new tape (Systik).

1 Like

Oh hey, thanks for the support. Cheers!

3 Likes

@RichardDevine Hey Cool, really excited about enjoying what you will achieve with Monome

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m new to the monome universe and would like to dive into Norns. I wondered whether it would be possible to explore Norns by building a virtual image before getting a shield and raspberry pi up and running. Perhaps it would even be possible to integrate Norns into VCV Rack? Any pointers would be highly appreciated!

I asked this question before and the answers somewhat befuddled me, they may mean more to you: https://llllllll.co/t/norns-running-on-a-macos/

there’s no reason not to simply get/build a shield if you can afford it and are interested. in retrospect, the theoretical half-step of having it running on my computer seems less interesting to me now than it did before I had a shield, although that could be a personal bias towards hardware.

Thanks a lot for the pointer! Reading up on it, I guess the closest someone has gotten was this attempt:

It seems to have been inactive for a long time — guess getting it to work smoothly would involve some work. I will have a closer look.

Some more has been done, it’s an interesting use case for development, it just involves a bit more system architecture stuff that is still ongoing. I’ve written a patch (which depends on some other ongoing work / needs rebasing) to let the norns code draw to different types of screens depending on startup configuration, which allows you to show the norns screen in an SDL window for instance. This still doesn’t wire up anything for buttons / encoders to e.g. drive encoders from this SDL window. If you had that then it would be possible to do this on Linux.

Doing this inside a VM is a bit of another matter because you need to tangle with how the virtualization layer handles audio.

2 Likes

Yep, that was me… I expect the issue I had was having a 1 year old in the house… the actual software seemed to work pretty okay I think. I have to say those READMEs on the GitHub repos are surprisingly detailed and I have no recollection of writing them… sleep deprivation really messes with your memory retention.

I’d agree with this, at least if you try running it in Docker (or other container software) on Linux you can allow direct access to the hardware. If you do want/need to use a VM maybe first experiment with vanilla SuperCollider? It will give you a good idea for what is possible in terms of audio (and set big buffers!).

2 Likes

Can anyone point me to a SUPER simple, and I really, really mean SUPER simple video tutorial explaining how to get sounds into MLR? I’m talking about the kind of tutorial that makes NO assumptions about my level of understanding, but explains the absolute basics. Or perhaps someone offers 1-2-1 online tutorials? For payment of course. As helpful and generous as everyone is on this forum, I feel so utterly overwhelmed by it all. My brain just can’t process technical stuff unless I’m guided through step by step. There must be other folks who feel this way? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

This helped me a lot when I first started using MLR: https://vimeo.com/373768732
Not the best video but it does the job. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot - will check it out!
Take care

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Coming from the modular world, I’m getting my norns shield very soon and have been wondering how people control it from their modulars (if at all). I see that monome crow is supposed to do that, am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks!