New to monome, and monome + modular: ask questions here

Haha I thought the same thing. Was kind of surprised he didn’t share it. But thanks! I’ll take a look.

1 Like

is spellbinding
dang

almost too rad

1 Like

had no idea ‘mlr’ was named after miller puckette. super cool

1 Like

what !!!
i’ve always wondered
title well deserved if true

hello, all!! I’ve made music in many different ways for a really long while. but as you well know, norns is unlike most everything else. & I’m very new to norns. I’m also technologically… not inept, but… yeah… you get the idea.

so, to my actual point…

aside from spending time with norns (shield)–which I’m definitely doing, where do y’all suggest I go to get solid guidance as a beginner? I mean… this thing is pretty dang cryptic.

thanks, all.

-rocco

3 Likes

Hi Doc!

I’m another n00b! - although I’m using the Norns Shield, rather than Norns, there are many similarities and overlaps - I found this page invaluable (still refer to it!)

Awesome monome norns

But for me, at least, a combination of reading docs, watching vids and plain old ‘getting hands on’ is the way I learn best (although very slowly!)

And do ask questions in whichever threads you find relevant here at lines - I’ve found people here really helpful and encouraging and (most of all!) informative and that community spirit is what makes lines pretty much my favourite forum, not just for monome-specific stuff but for, well, everything else, really!

Oh and can I be the first - but surely not the last! - to wish you a warm welcome and hope you find lines as cool as place to hang out as I do!

Helen

9 Likes

is there something you want to do but cant figure out?

3 Likes

helen, you’re most kind. I really appreciate it. :wink: ps… I’m also using norns shield.

1 Like

thanks much for your timely reply, glia.

hmm… lots of things. lemme just think of one for now… okay… lissadron… can it be controlled & actually played, or is it strictly a drone? it really sounds lovely.

I’m also not even clear on how to access things that I’m recording into the norns. I know those recordings are meant to be played with in other scripts & such… right?

like, say, I record something I did in boingg. then I can bring that recording into… I’m new enough that I forget the names of any of the processing scripts that I’ve perused so far.

anyway… that’s a lot of words. hopefully I’ve actually managed to answer your question in there somewhere.

2 Likes

hey rocco! a couple answers come to mind when reading your post.

afaik, lissadron is only a drone but can be controlled to some degree with midi triggers. (i also find lissadron lovely) perhaps @LFSaw can shed some light on that question for ya.

there’s a couple ways to access the things you record on norns. (im assuming you’re referring to the tape function. the way that i get into the files of my norns personally is via SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) using Cyberduck. i have a windows machine, so i’m not sure of what software might accomplish the same task across different platforms. you can find a full tutorial within the norns documentaion. once you’re in, recordings made using the tape function can be found at the following file path: /home/we/dust/audio/tape

then I can bring that recording into…

if you’re referring to using the audio you’ve recorded with tape as material within other scripts, you can do so typically by loading the audio. this is in most cases i’ve seen accomplished by pressing K3 to bring up the menu, using E1 to bring yourself to the screen that says parameters, pressing edit, and then finding the appropriate parameter option for loading audio within the given script. if you ever feel like you’re missing something or have any questions regarding how to use a script, finding the script’s library topic here on lines is a good place to start when looking for answers. there will often be a link to documentation for the script, or the question has already been answered below in the topic posts. (i.e. this is the library topic for “oooooo” by @infinitedigits.)

hope this answers some of your questions or can help get you on the right path! welcome to the community.

4 Likes

this is amazingly helpful!! thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.

I figured there most already be a number of people in the same kind of place as me with the same sort of questions & limitations & such… so I appreciate you & the other responders steering me towards those forums.

i, too, am a PC person. no macs for me, please… unless it’s mac n’ cheese!! :wink:

I’m a bit lost when file paths start coming up in conversation, but I bet I’ll see that that’s pretty straightforward once I actually dig in there…

what else… tape… I’ll see about fiddling with that some more. there’s definitely a lot of just feeling around in a room that’s almost completely dark… but not COMPLETELY dark. & the music this thing makes is really rich. a lot of it is like a collaboration with chance. I like that.

thanks kindly, everyone. I look forward to learning more & being able to help newer folks as they arrive on the future… yaaaaay!!

-rocco

1 Like

this is a gorgeous sentiment :slight_smile:

we are continuously working on documentation — changing structure, adding resources, balancing plain and direct instruction with whimsy.

re: tape, the main docs should cover the functions (playing, recording, playing + recording at the same time): play - docs

if you have any needs or can (even better) let us know where the thread gets lost in the available resources, please let us know — either DM or help@monome.org

6 Likes

I am moved by your response here.

& I’m really encouraged & inspired by all of your support here. very, very cool shizz we got goin’ on here, y’all… yip-yip yay-yaaaay!!

2 Likes

yepp, lissadron is meant to be a drone-only machine, i.e. no MIDI-playable pitches…
partly because the pitches are anyhow only approximate.

play something and record it into your system of choice and edit it around later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I just picked up Grids, Ansible, and TeleType. Currently looking for a Norns and Arc2.

My question is where do I start? Are there any good resources for someone who is just starting out with these devices? Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before. Anyways, hello and excited to make some new music with these.

Thanks
Richard Devine

23 Likes

Welcome dude. You’ve found the best place on the internet :black_heart:

2 Likes

Oh hey Ben awesome. Ha I know if your here I am in the right place :raised_hands::pray:t2:

4 Likes

the monome docs page has a lot of good info to get rolling on each device, with teletype even going so far as to have studies for some of its various capabilities.

beyond that, a lot of info is scattered across this forum, with much of it loosely collected into threads, but come with questions and people here will be happy to help out.

2 Likes

welcome. there are a few starting points for all these devices singly, and together. the official docs have pages on each of them, and are highly recommended, as they provide excellent starting points to see what these devices can do, and how to use them.

the grid can be used directly connected to your computer, or to ansible (and even teletype). if connected directly to your computer or DAW, you can use it to control max4live devices, standalone max apps, and various programs written in all sorts of languages. sequencers, synthesizers, granular processors, loopers, samplers, and more.

when connected to ansible, the grid becomes the controller for one of three sequencer apps on ansible: kria, meadowphysics, and earthsea. these apps can also interact with, and be controlled from, teletype scripts.

ansible can also be used as a simple midi-cv converter module, for a usb midi controller. when attached to teletype, ansible can be used as a cv/gate output expander for teletype.

teletype is probably the most complex of the bunch. it has excellent docs, as well as several incremental studies that walk the user through what teletype can do, and teach concepts for writing one’s own scripts. there are also several premade teletype scenes available for viewing, to get an idea for the kinds of things that teletype can do, as well as its simple scripting syntax. teletype scripts can also control ansible apps, when the two modules are linked by an i2c cable. there’s also the full teletype manual as a reference for all commands, operators, variables, etc.

beyond all this, there’s a wealth of information and Q+A available here on the forum via the search function; just depends on what you’re looking to do or learn.

5 Likes

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation. Looks like I have a bit of homework to do. :raised_hands::pray:t2:

3 Likes