New to monome, and monome + modular: ask questions here

Cool!

Enjoy the ride, and feel free to ask any questions here on lines, many clever people hang out here and they love to help out!

2 Likes

I’d recommend an @expertsleepers Disting EX. It can basically transform into every other module you can imagine (voices, filters, samplers, delays, reverbs, quantisers, sequencers, VCAs, an oscilloscope, etc etc etc), so it’s perfect for figuring out what you want. It has a mode where it splits into two separate modules, each of which can be anything and a single mode which it transforms into one very powerful module. It also talks i2c so can be controlled with a cable connection around the back. People talk about it being a bit fiddly to use because of so-called “menu diving”, but really with the display on the EX, I don’t find it hard to use at all, and you’ll typically have it sitting in a particular mode for a long time, at which point it has a lot of usability advantages over many other modules (for example, coloured sockets which show you what is going on in inputs and outputs; both normal knobs and rotary encoders.)

I’m a bit ashamed to say I’m waiting for my 6th Disting to arrive…

4 Likes

Disting EX has been on my radar for a while, and the i2c integration might just have sealed the deal, thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the useful input everyone.

1 Like

not sure if this is the right place to ask this kind of question by here we go—

i have been having hard time wrapping my head around how exactly to tune an oscillator to play in the same key with jf or w/ when sequenced via i2c! since the the i2c sequenced modules are set to a specific key, when i stop the sequence to tune the oscillator and then continue the sequence i can never seem to get them to sync!

i know this is a silly sounding q (let me know if more clarification is needed), but it’s been a constant road block! is there a simple procedure folks use to get everyone singing together nicely?

2 Likes

Ive always just tuned my oscillators (Plaits, Chord, STO, Rings etc) to C and not had any difficulties keeping in tune with Just Friends. I’ve not got a W/ but I presume this is also tuned to C like Just Friends.

2 Likes

wait, is that it!? jf is automatically in c? is that always true?

You can set a voice of JF to note 0 and drone it and tune other voice to that. Depending on what you’re sequencing with, you might be offsetting JF to play in a certain key in which case you need to match that offset or tune accordingly when sequencing the non-i2c voice. If they’re tuned together but not tracking together there might be a calibration issue somewhere in the chain?

1 Like

I mean I can’t say for certain but I have always found that when sequencing JF via i2c from either Teletype or Ansible JF it is in C and if I tune any other oscillator to C then any sequence sent to them is in tune with JF

Edit : Yup I just checked JF via i2c and it’s in C by default

3 Likes

thank you @ilikeorangethecolour + @renegog for the info! i’ll test it out some more tonight and circle back!

3 Likes

Hey all

I was going to make a separate post in Questions about this, but I thought I might as well post here instead.

Is it possible to send Kria data to Crow over to i2c to then sequence something in Ableton ? Or is this on the roadmap for the future ? Not possible?

I can send one Kria track to Crow using the inputs and then use ^^ins M4L device in Ableton to sequence a soft synth/piano etc but it would be amazing if all four Kria tracks were available!

Kria is without a doubt my favourite sequencer and I’m dreaming of being able to use it to sequence in ableton :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great question.

I’m curious if anyone has considered porting Kria to Max for Live… Not being a coder, I don’t know if that is even possible, but it would be fantastic!

2 Likes

easy enough to get two tracks by just using the CV ins and setting up a comparator (I think, in Crow, you can probably do this as a particular event type… maybe “change”?). Just trigger new notes on CV change rather than having to pair a gate with it and boom… two tracks.

There don’t appear to be any Ansible / Crow ops in the docs BUT if you hold tight for the next TT/Crow updates (seemingly Very Very Soon), you should be able to trigger Crow events over i2c with TT, which has a full suite of Ansible commands (and 8 more gate inputs + the CV input).

I also want this v much. hopefully these lil hacks help

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m going to experiment with that trick this evening and see how I get on.

norns + grid user here.
i would like to build a little modular setup, and i’ll get a crow asap. are there out any script that can sequence and affect audio at the same time?
i love kria midi and i’m using it a lot in ableton for sequencing vsts, but i would love to use norns as an effect machine alongside kria, for example.
TLDR
is norns capable of doing sequencing and audio processing at the same time? (for a modular setup?)

3 Likes

TT noob here. I am using Pam’s NW as 8 triggers for the 8 inputs. Is this silly? It works afaics. I’m curious what other small hp (8ish) trigger sources people here are using as input for TT? Cheers.

2 Likes

Not silly at all! TT is really meant for… whatever you want to do with it! :smiley:

I quite like using ansible to trigger my scripts - or more often I make teletype the master clock and sync other sequencers to it, then use the internal metronome to do things

3 Likes

I think cheat codes 2 can sequence and record to the buffer/prices the buffer at the same time. I would think that there are other scripts that can do this as well but I’m p new to this too so idk which ones

I also have a question; Does grid pull from the 5v rail when plugged into teletype? I think that’s what it says on Monome’s site but it’s a little vague and I want to be sure.

I’m using a make noise skiff(1.2A on +/-12v, 1A on 5v) and the modules I want to put in it end up being like 1035mA on 12v and 367mA on -12v. Nothing on 5v. Does it seem safe to plug grid into TT on top of that? I know I’m pushing it on the 12v rail but idk otherwise.

Also, realistically, will teletype be able to handle 5 i2c connections if I daisy chain a couple? Like teletype to three pins of W/ and then from the other three pins of W/ to…disting ex or JF? Im assuming it will be unstable but I don’t really know

1 Like

hi hi! hope all’s well :slight_smile:

TT doesn’t have any 5v requirement, regardless of grid presence.

we typically recommend leaving at least as much headroom as you currently have (those MN cases are really gorgeous but do seem to be built with larger panels in mind), so you can avoid the worry by powering grid via a Y-cable like this ground loop adaptor. one line runs USB power to the grid while the other runs data.

daisy chaining is definitely the best way to ensure stable + reliable connections, but ~2 is sort of the practical limit unless you’re using a powered busboard (see halfway through the first post in A user's guide to i2c).

hope this helps!

3 Likes

Hi Dan! Thanks for the quick response :slight_smile:

Glad to hear the grid power situation should be fine. What’s a worst case scenario though? Things stop working? Or caps in the PSU start to pop? Just wondering how cavalier I should be about this lol

And is the recommended limit of i2c devices attached to a black PCB teletype really only 2-3? Bc I’ve had 4 connected w no issue, maybe a note dropping every now and then but I can’t even say if that’s the case. W/ has been acting weird w ops that change its parameters but I chalked that up to the firmware being a beta since note ops are working fine.

I should be getting a TT busboard + offworld micro soon so hopefully that will solve these issues, but in the meantime I’m impatient and want to get everything playing nice together(if possible)

with older make noise power supplies Very Bad Things happened: Grids with Make Noise Shared System power? - #15 by tehn

this was a while ago though so possible this will not be the case for newer make noise PS. also this applied to the old trilogy modules that did use the 5v bus. still, i would proceed with lots of caution.

dropped notes means the i2c bus is not stable. you could try daisy chaining / using shorter cables / removing some devices from the bus but yeah, tt busboard should help with this.