Noemie

the official story is that i deliberately tried to make jazz for the first time and this is a stepping stone to a full-length album with minaret backing the projects

for the next one i’m going even deeper into the intersection of new-synth/computer music and african indigenous folk

so what is this? well, honestly some of my most accessible tunes to date (at least in my warped head) made entirely during quarantine against the polarizing backdrop of a crumbling world and welcome news that i’ll become a father this year

so the unofficial story is…these are lullabies for my baby and made as much to calm my own mind as they are for my partner and child

liners and credits touch on other inspiration for the the tracks:

It’s easy to overcomplicate jazz music. That’s not an excuse for my lack of virtuosity…but, I’m admittedly far more interested in crafting unique textures to share space together than impressing anybody else with complex chords and solos.

While recording these tracks I studied the way VHVL, Afrikan Sciences, and Carlos Niño explore pattern and texture when sequencing synths. I drew lessons from past and present artists who’ve expanded the potential of beats and incorporate a spirit of playfulness in their drumming: ?uestlove, Timbaland, Ras G, Blvck Spvde, Devonwho, Will Logan and JD Beck.

I can’t escape the influence of artists who’ve shaped my perspective on modern jazz more than anyone: Herbie Hancock, Steven Ellison and Otis Jackson Jr (Yesterdays’ New Quintet). These guys have shown a lifelong commitment to heartwarming, vibrant and spiritually nourishing music in the true tradition of jazz.

It’s also important to admit how influential brazilian masters like Dom Um Romão, Airto Moreira, Domenico Lancelotti and Kassin have been on me and my music. They seem to acknowledge (in their arrangements and improvisation) the true hybrid nature of most masterpieces, including often overlooked contributions of indigenous natives and african culture.

I’ve tried the same while recording these pieces. Noemie is a collection of songs which spring from a modern, african approach to electronic improvisation.

62 Likes

oh this sounds lovely. Great work.

1 Like

Northern VA (near Fairfax)

I haven’t played out so far, not terribly likely in the future but may try Rhizome once we get settled in with our kid.

Virtual performances under this quarantine have been a stepping stone to doing a real show in the future.

1 Like

This is really great stuff :sparkling_heart: I primarily play jazz and soul bass, and since getting into modular/computer music stuff I’ve really struggled to bring that sound and vibe into my music. This is great inspiration for me to dig into

1 Like

these are phenomenal. i really love this sound you’re honing in on. love it

1 Like

really stunning work. it feels utopian to me in a way that i find so inspiring (and of course there’s a long history of this kind of “vibrant and spiritually nourishing music” which you mention). the sense of possibility, of new life, of futurity is part of what makes it so “accessible” as you say (which, I think I agree sort of, but this is as close as I can get to putting my finger on why…). it cut right to my core and has got me in tears. blessings and love to you and your growing family.

4 Likes

I like this one a lot! It’s quite a bit different from most of what I’ve been listening to lately, but it just feels good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yea man. absolutely slaps.

1 Like

thank you sincerely

this is such a touching review and quite insightful!
i am so humbled by your response to this and inspired to continue pressing forward with some of these ideas :grinning: :blush:

1 Like

that’s the goal

i really hope the songs can be a bit of refuge for people on rough days

i understand the battle you have and that’s super cool!

“malachi” and “anapaula” took tremendous effort for me because when i get loose enough to reach the vibe i want it can be tough to maintain flow & timing etc during improv

thats really where i was inspired by Madlib’s YNQ and the music of Niño…i trusted myself and went with the feelings rather than overthink every detail

ana paula took several takes but i played it through

5 Likes

Hey glia!

Really enjoying noemie! I was reading the release notes notes and came across this.

It’s also important to admit how influential brazilian masters like Dom Um Romão, Airto Moreira, Domenico Lancelotti and Kassin have been on me and my music.

I’d love to start exploring these artists, do you have any suggestions on where to start? Spotify is easiest, but if there are physical only releases I don’t mind tracking them down.

thanks so much for asking!

I made you a playlist and will add annotation to this post about each song and artist. All those albums (and the personnel) will guide you thru some of my biggest influences and the tunes which impacted the sound of the ep the most.

[footnotes~noemie a spotify playlist]

8 Likes

I just discovered your work on this forum about a week ago. It fills/feels a void that I had a hunch about but hadn’t quite found in other music- a particular warm lopsided headphone sound that skitters around and tickles my brain. I’ve been listening to this ep while doing the dishes, working in my garden, and before I leave for the protests each night. It keeps me feeling calm and focused :slight_smile:

6 Likes

this is so good, really enjoyed it

1 Like

I think you’re making really excellent, thoughtful and compelling work. Just discovered your work earlier this week and have really been enjoying this EP and am looking forward to hearing more of your music.

3 Likes

thank you all

i’ll channel all the positive energy and kinds words into my next projects!

4 Likes

it’s a great listen, thanks to you!

1 Like

proud to see noemie on some recent lists!

njtstaffAUG

7 Likes