Noise sources

Hey, looking for a recommendation for a noise source that I can fire into rings for some pad textures. The liivatera noise, Quantum rainbow, bastl noise squared have popped on my radar. I am also building a radio music so perhaps I could use field recordings? Basically I don’t know what I need and will happily take on board suggestions. :slight_smile:

what’s currently in your rack? you might have something useful already

1 Like

The Doepfer A-118 is useful and inexpensive (and I’ve even used it successfully to excite Rings or through a filter and/or LPG to make percussion sounds). I am also a big fan of the Make Noise Wogglebug.

1 Like

Quantum Rainbow 2 is all the noise you’ll ever need! I use it with a uVCF and DPLPG to shape/ping it before it goes into Rings.

2 Likes

+1 for Quantum Rainbow 2.

It is one of my favorite modules. I use it constantly as sound- and mod-source. Also, you can find it quite cheap second hand. Can’t understand how someone could ever sell it, though.

2 Likes

I knew I’d forget something!!

STO, maths, Batumi, veils, o_C. I’m building radio music and also building some mults and a poti for the Batumi. I send everything to a tapco mixer and have 2 delays and neunaber wet reverb on aux sends to add when I need.

And also, thank you to the responses so far.

1 Like

RAdio Music can do any kind of noise, of course!

2 Likes

RF Nomad is my favorite noise source.

Demo by mylar melodies:

4 Likes

what kinda noise can you get out of the woggle?..dont have one at the mo…but i rem all i could achieve was a dull noise which wasnt so exciting…

If you’re not completely set on your noise source being inside your modular case then I’d suggest a cheap portable shortwave radio. A great source for noise and lots of other interesting sounds.

5 Likes

Good idea. Thank you.

I use it more for random modulation than for noise-as-audio, I guess. The audio-rate stuff is pretty flexible (although a bit unpredictable), though.

That was part of the draw. And I reckon another couple of your modules will be in the rack before long :grin:

1 Like

Ah ok. I found it disappointing it didnt feature multiple flavours of noise like the buchla and serge random stuff do but ive heard the teleharmonic is a capable diginoise source

1 Like

The Noise output on the Telharmonic is insane. Responds so well to modulation and is just generally delicious for so many applications. I love it.

5 Likes

+1 for the radio music. Other noise sources I do like (but be warned… I’m biased on some of these): Hexinverter vcNoiz / VCNO for some crunchy old-school LSRN vibes, Microbe Equation Composer or the bytebeat mode on the O_C… for something more weird, Jupiter Storm for a noise source that can be tweaked to no end.

1 Like

Echoing some other posts, but SW radio is a great noise source. I recently picked up the Koma Field Kit and have quickly fallen in love.

2 Likes

just another option for something very small and affordable:

1 Like

I agree for the VCNoiz (or newer variation, VCNO). Having voltage control over the noise frequency is super useful. At max freq it’s very white noise-y. Having a simple pink noise source somewhere is also always good.

2 Likes

I recently got the Mobenthey Dunst. Dedicated white noise and another flavour of noise (crackles) out, plus white noise normalled to a dual VCA with some great functionality. And there’s the dust section with cv control over the noise density. I’m in love with it, I’m not sure how I survived without it.

2 Likes