major updates. massive thank you to @zebra for overhauling the audio system which has a sparkly new incredible softcut. @ngwese and @simon greatly improved wifi. @ngwese has maiden working like new. @artfwo built arc support. @simon and @jah and @ngwese and @rick_monster tuned the kernel and system. help from @ppqq and @okyeron and @rick_monster. thank you to @kelli_cain for enduring the journey. thank you to the patient/brave souls who tested the month-long “beta”
- audio system (crone) is new. it’s a standalone application (no longer a part of supercollider) with greatly improved CPU balancing and capabilities. audio routing, mixing, reverb, compression, tape, and softcut all happen here. there are many massive improvements in the softcut system, which is running all of the time (meaning, concurrently with any additional supercollider engine).
- networking system is overhauled. you should no longer need to rely on hotspot. the norns should have no trouble connecting to your wifi router, and is highly advised as all future updates can happen automatically through the new menu-driven update system. also, all file management should happen via stfp which is super easy and helpful.
- the user folder (dust) has been redesigned for decentralized sharing of scripts. you no longer need to wait for an update from monome to gather and share projects. check out the library category for the collection. if you’d like to install one of these, you’ll need to download the file and copy it to your norns using sftp. see the full docs below for further details.
- arc support. not so many scripts use it yet, but more are coming.
- there are some breaking syntax changes. many old scripts won’t work without updating. see syntax 2.0. we can help if you get stuck.
check out the DOCUMENTATION so everything is less confusing.
all of the studies have been updated.
- consider backing up anything important files on your norns first (audio, scripts).
- copy this file to the root folder of a FAT-formatted USB thumbdrive. this should be the actual file
norns190405.tgz(make sure your browser didn’t auto-uncompress it).
- insert the thumbdrive into norns and boot up.
- in the menu, go to
SYSTEM > UPDATE.
- the file is now being copied and prepared.
- you’ll be asked to reboot. use SLEEP.
- on next boot the update will install, then the device will shut down.
- start the machine.
- when you do the first run after update you’ll need to do
SYSTEM > RESET.
- go to
SELECT > awakeand you’re flying.
IMPORTANT: your existing
dust older will be copied to
dust-v1 as a backup. you can access all of your previous files there (and safely delete them to save space.)
if you’ve been on the beta, you’ll need to install via serial. instructions are on the beta thread.
if you want to do a full disk reset you’ll need to install a bunch of command-line stuff. currently confirmed working on linux (raspberry pi’s work fine) and macos 10.14 (do not attempt with earlier versions). instructions here (more thorough, for macos) and here (more technical?) (apologies, i will merge these soon.)
full image is here. please do not download this prior to reading the instructions and having identified a strong need. (save our bandwidth! it’s a 1.1g file).
please report any immediate problems here. and there is of course much more we have planned!
thank you everyone for your patience, this was a huge undertaking.